• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

OFF HAND SHOOTING

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I NEVER DID MUCH OFFhand shooting....Dutch
You don’t say what type of rifle you’re shooting and whether open or aperture sights, or what position you’re seeking to adopt.

I don’t hunt, just target shoot, and adopt a ‘Schutzen’ type position, with support arm held close to the chest, and using the back bend and body twist position - you’ll find descriptions of this in modern shooting books on three position rifle shooting. I use this with percussion target rifle with aperture sights and military rifle with open sights.

Properly set up the position is about using skeletal support rather than muscle. Same position should be adopted every shot. Lateral movement is controlled by foot placement, and elevation by moving the support hand a little away from or towards the body. Work on a natural area of aim - with plenty of training this will gradually reduce to close to a point of aim. The body forms a platform to support the rifle - learn to hold yourself still, don’t wrestle with the rifle.

When I coached my wife for 10m Air Rifle, first thing I did was fill in the scoring rings within the black aiming mark. All I wanted her to do was hold a group inside the aiming mark, without the distraction of score. We gradually worked group size smaller by only colouring some of the inner scoring rings. With much training on her part she reached the GB National Squad.

If you have access to a recoilless target air rifle, it’s a great training tool - it will put the pellet through the same hole all day. It permits the shooter to work solely on technique, tuning the body to learn to remain in a balanced position. I came into muzzle loading from .22 three-position Rifle and 10m air rifle background. I had shooting skills, but had to learn management of the muzzle loading rifle. I have held the MLAGB National Records for 50m off hand for both percussion target rifle and Enfield rifle for several years.

David

You don’t say what type of rifle you’re shooting and whether open or aperture sights, or what position you’re seeking to adopt.

I don’t hunt, just target shoot, and adopt a ‘Schutzen’ type position, with support arm held close to the chest, and using the back bend and body twist position - you’ll find descriptions of this in modern shooting books on three position rifle shooting. I use this with percussion target rifle with aperture sights and military rifle with open sights.

Properly set up the position is about using skeletal support rather than muscle. Same position should be adopted every shot. Lateral movement is controlled by foot placement, and elevation by moving the support hand a little away from or towards the body. Work on a natural area of aim - with plenty of training this will gradually reduce to close to a point of aim. The body forms a platform to support the rifle - learn to hold yourself still, don’t wrestle with the rifle.

When I coached my wife for 10m Air Rifle, first thing I did was fill in the scoring rings within the black aiming mark. All I wanted her to do was hold a group inside the aiming mark, without the distraction of score. We gradually worked group size smaller by only colouring some of the inner scoring rings. With much training on her part she reached the GB National Squad.

If you have access to a recoilless target air rifle, it’s a great training tool - it will put the pellet through the same hole all day. It permits the shooter to work solely on technique, tuning the body to learn to remain in a balanced position. I came into muzzle loading from .22 three-position Rifle and 10m air rifle background. I had shooting skills, but had to learn management of the muzzle loading rifle. I have held the MLAGB National Records for 50m off hand for both percussion target rifle and Enfield rifle for several years.

David
THIS AN EXCELLENT POST It repeats the nd to practice but adds thought about working om your position based on your bone structure rathe than muscle. Muscles tire and shake skeletons much less so and only in response to muscle shaking. Worth rereading several times, printing out and taking to the range as you work out your own particular problems.

My rifles s were a kit built T/C HAWKEN AND AN EXACT COPY OF A GENUINE HAWKEN.ALSO .45.
DUTCH SCHOULTZ

SO THOSE OLMPIC SHOOTERS HAVE NO EXCUSE IF THEY MISS A SHOT
They’re shooting .22 rimfire ammunition at 50m on a target with a 10.4mm diameter 10 ring - course of fire is 40 shots prone, 40 shots standing and 40 shots kneeling; so 120 shots plus sighting shots. There’s a similar disciple, but using centre fire ammunition and shooting at 300m.

Having a rifle that fits is a first vital step, and you know all about getting that rifle to group well. Shooting accurately is then down to training; building a stable position, learning sight alignment, trigger release, watching weather conditions, coping with ‘match pressure’, and a whole host of other factors which if not applied by the shooter are reasons for not scoring a 10 every shot.

Often what I have encountered in muzzle loading is seeking endless refinement in loads for rifles, tinkering with bedding, upgrading sights... - what is neglected is the shooter and refinement of shooting skills, which will only come with training.

Many years ago a coach told me ‘Practice Makes Permanent’ - by this he meant practicing without purpose will reinforce both ‘good’ and ‘bad’ technique. May be drifting into semantics, but his emphasis was on training - go to the range with a purpose (eg. shot release or sight alignment) and work on that. In much the same way that in developing loads for a rifle, a single variable will be changed to identify its effect, so the shooting technique and position need to be broken down.

David

They’re shooting .22 rimfire ammunition at 50m on a target with a 10.4mm diameter 10 ring - course of fire is 40 shots prone, 40 shots standing and 40 shots kneeling; so 120 shots plus sighting shots. There’s a similar disciple, but using centre fire ammunition and shooting at 300m.

Having a rifle that fits is a first vital step, and you know all about getting that rifle to group well. Shooting accurately is then down to training; building a stable position, learning sight alignment, trigger release, watching weather conditions, coping with ‘match pressure’, and a whole host of other factors which if not applied by the shooter are reasons for not scoring a 10 every shot.

Often what I have encountered in muzzle loading is seeking endless refinement in loads for rifles, tinkering with bedding, upgrading sights... - what is neglected is the shooter and refinement of shooting skills, which will only come with training.

Many years ago a coach told me ‘Practice Makes Permanent’ - by this he meant practicing without purpose will reinforce both ‘good’ and ‘bad’ technique. May be drifting into semantics, but his emphasis was on training - go to the range with a purpose (eg. shot release or sight alignment) and work on that. In much the same way that in developing loads for a rifle, a single variable will be changed to identify its effect, so the shooting technique and position need to be broken down.

David
THERE IS A LOT OF WISDOM IN THIS POST..
It pre supposes that bench rest without one's personal twitches the rifle is hitting where it is aimed ThenAPPLYING AS MUCH OF THE ABOVE ADVICE AS YOU ARE CAPABLE YOU WOULD BE WELL ON THE WAY OF BECOMING A VERY STEADY AND ACCURATE RIFLEMAN.
We have some very advanced people on the Forum.
Dutch

Back