• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Of what style is a Kibler Colonial Rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GAHUNTER60

40 Cal
Reaction score
I am aware that Jim says his rifles are not of one particular geographic or individual builder style, but are instead an amalgamation of styles typical of the Colonial period prior to 1770.

This said, of what geographic style would a Kibler Colonial not look out of place in the local dry goods store rack in 1763? I know it's kind of a frivolous question, but I need to to tell folks who ask something other than "don't know," when they ask.

I think I'll go with "It's a copy of a style built in the Shenandoah Valley, specifically three shops outside of Staunton, Virginia, circa 1760 to 1767. Not to be confused with James River styles built in the same period!"

How's that sound? :ghostly:

As I learned from the great Sheldon Cooper, the believability of a lie is directly correlated to the amount of unverifiable detail associated with it. Of course, the information contained in my lie is verifiable to an expert on the history of American longrifles, but I'm betting the folks asking about mine are not of this ilk.

Last edited:
You know that; and now I know that (since you just told me). But the folks I'm lying to don't know that (and don't really care).

Honestly, I'm not a chronic liar. Just having fun!

Unless a rifle of “colonial” styling is based on originals known to be from a specific geographical area, nobody knows where it was made. There are a lot of guns out there with nothing but speculation on where and when they were made. It seems like Jim Kibler deliberately did not base his colonial rifle on originals known to be from Pennsylvania assigned to a particular “school”. Definitely not Lancaster, Berks, Northampton, Allentown/Bethlehem/Christians Spring. Keep in mind that just about all colonial Virginia-attributed rifles except the Haymaker are just that- attributed, unsigned, best guesses.

I have a Kibler Colonial rifle (.54 cal.) made by Andy Thomas in the style of a Virginia rifle. I also have one in .58 cal. made by me to resemble an Andreas Albrecht, Christian Springs rifle. You are only limited by the lock style and your imagination!

Hi,
I believe it is from the Hanoverton, Ohio school.

dave
1618516688907.gif

These guns handle great. A friend put one together and it comes up beautifully. That it doesn’t immediately bring to mind a “school” or a specific geographic location is pretty typical for early rifles. Fewer were made early and the earlier they were the less likely they’d survive till now.

I've heard criticisms of "generic" style rifles and find the criticisms to be without merit and somewhat pompous sounding. Kibler's Colonial rifle kit is authentic. Likely many similar original rifles they fit right in just fine.

I've heard criticisms of "generic" style rifles and find the criticisms to be without merit and somewhat pompous sounding. Kibler's Colonial rifle kit is authentic. Likely many similar original rifles they fit right in just fine.

The problem with modern day replicas of colonial long rifles I think we tend to overly rely on the english round faced lock. There were many other types of locks used on long rifles Of that period, many of which resembled french locks And German locks.

For about 50+ years it seemed the majority of builders and semi-custom shops used a Siler for every sort of flintlock build. English locks were used n a good many originals. These things go in cycles. Probably Kibler calculated that an English lock would be applicable to more of his planned projects.

Within reason, I've never given a great deal of thought as to authenticity or resemblance to a particular historical arm. Something generically similar, Kibler's Colonial for example, to a regional gun was close enough for me. Right now my safe sports 5 different flint lock styles. Only one rifle has an arguably "rarely used" lock for the style. The others are spot on which only matters to me a relatively small amount.

Within reason, I've never given a great deal of thought as to authenticity or resemblance to a particular historical arm. Something generically similar, Kibler's Colonial for example, to a regional gun was close enough for me. Right now my safe sports 5 different flint lock styles. Only one rifle has an arguably "rarely used" lock for the style. The others are spot on which only matters to me a relatively small amount.

I'm with you on this train of thought. Basing all our reproduction on surviving long rifles might not be accurate anyways because of survivorship bias. Outside of having something like a brown bess for a historical reenactment, I'm starting to feel more along the lines of "If it was possible using the technology at the time, and plausible that a gunsmith could use or have access to these parts" then its not necessary for me to worry beyond that point.

I'm having a Kibler built and the builder was talking about only using Iron Nitrate (Which always ends up in a brown/gold color at the end) when I'm kind of wanting a custom to have more of a red maple look to it. So right now I'm researching what kind of finish back then results in a red/orange hue (which I know was possible look at violins), even if it was "Traditional" to have iron nitrate haha.

Last edited:
Depending on the wood and post-iron nitrate treatments, a reddish color is not that hard to get. Try a test piece stained with iron nitrate, blushed, and treated with hydrogen peroxide.

Depending on the wood and post-iron nitrate treatments, a reddish color is not that hard to get. Try a test piece stained with iron nitrate, blushed, and treated with hydrogen peroxide.

I was trying to see if Ed Wenger could do anything like this and he said not without using aniline dye which wasn't period correct. Could a peroxide get it this bright?

(Thanks for recommending his service btw)

Attachments

• 20210417_115719_HDR.jpg
    20210417_115719_HDR.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 93
Back