• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Of Those Who Hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rudall, I think you are enjoying a narrow pursuit of the your definition of hunting. One could make the argument that pursuit also has many different meanings beside physically moving. If I pursue a career do I have to physically move about or can I do it at my desk?

No, I understand perfectly. There is nothing wrong with my reading comprehension. I don’t care how far you drive. I don’t care how much or how little you kill and I don’t care how you do it. My entire point, which you don’t seem to understand, is that the English language definition of hunting includes ‘pursuit of animals’. If you are not pursuing them then you are not hunting. You are simply killing. Or shooting. You may indulge in what you call ‘still hunting’ but that is a massive oxymoron. Do you call sitting on your arse on a sofa ‘still running’? No, because running involves movement. So does hunting. Have you ever been on an Easter egg hunt? Did you do it from the comfort of a chair or did you go around looking for them?

Once again, for the hard of hearing, I do not care how you do it or why you do it. And at this point I no longer care what you call it.

I guess our dictionary is a bit different from yours...
pur•suit
(pərˈsut)

n.
1. the act of pursuing.
2. an effort to secure or attain; quest.
3. an occupation or pastime one regularly engages in

If I am in pursuit of an animal, then I am am making an some level of effort to locate it's whereabouts and kill it. If I walk a mile to a tree and climb up it to 20', I'm not exactly sitting on my couch and ordering a pizza on the phone. I could also use your definition to say that you aren't really in pursuit unless unless you physically ran it down and threw a spear into it's side... Now, if someone were to bring a deer to my backyard and tie to a tree for me so I could shoot it out my back window...

I have deer hunted public land in Minnesota sine 1980. Once I figured out I was a terrible at still-hunting, I started sitting on a small ridge overlooking a swale with my back to a tree. In Minnesota it can get darn cold sitting from dawn to dusk, but I have frequently been able to put venison in the freezer and on the table.

Tom

No, I understand perfectly. There is nothing wrong with my reading comprehension. I don’t care how far you drive. I don’t care how much or how little you kill and I don’t care how you do it. My entire point, which you don’t seem to understand, is that the English language definition of hunting includes ‘pursuit of animals’. If you are not pursuing them then you are not hunting. You are simply killing. Or shooting. You may indulge in what you call ‘still hunting’ but that is a massive oxymoron. Do you call sitting on your arse on a sofa ‘still running’? No, because running involves movement. So does hunting. Have you ever been on an Easter egg hunt? Did you do it from the comfort of a chair or did you go around looking for them?

Once again, for the hard of hearing, I do not care how you do it or why you do it. And at this point I no longer care what you call it.

Some will nit pick over semantics, absolutely refuse to be moved from their opinion. The same word in different contexts will have different meanings to different people. The fact that multiple definitions apply to a word is ignored. I posted in another thread the definition of hunt from the state law where I live. For myself and those that hunt here that is the definition of hunting and the law, like it or not. An old friend that was a judge would tell you that you have the right to argue your case/point. Then he would rule based on the law as written. Your next option if he ruled against you wasnt based on your opinion but his. The definition of what is or is not hunting is very simple. Hunting and the rules for hunting are what the law in that area require. It really does not matter what myself or anyone else thinks or has to say about it. To enjoy the sport we obey the laws, personal opinion does not change existing law. Hunt what you want, the way you want to hunt as long as within the law. Deer season is a special time of the year for many. Years ago an old friends young grandson killed his first deer from a shooting house on his property. He built the shooting house, planted the green field. Bought the rifle, did everything for that moment. Nothing could have replaced that day with his grandson. No amount of money would have been able to buy those feelings and memories. He is gone now but left memories with that boy that are priceless. Hunt legally the way you are comfortable with. Do not allow me or any other old fart to dictate our opinion to rule your life. I like flint and blackpowder, if you like percussion and triple 7 go for it. I never cared for tree stands, if you do go for it. I fed game for years but never shot deer over bait, if it puts meat on your table an you want to go for it. Myself and guys I grew up with skinned and processed what we killed, if you use a processing place go for it. Not many folks grew up butchering livestock and game. Better to pay someone that knows how than waste an animal. As a kid an old man told me that the things in nature accept you being there more if you are part of it than as rude uninvited company. Took a while as a kid to figure that out, he was right. Go make meat

You are just arguing semantics. There are multiple methods of hunting. Some of them require movement others don’t. I suspect you are not a hunter at all.

If you are out in the field with your gun trying and/or hoping to harvest an animal, you are perusing. It doesn’t matter if you tracking, sneaking, wandering around aimlessly or sitting in a strategic location along an animal’s travel route

Why would you think I don’t understand that? I am far from stupid and can read. That point was made ad nauseam in the hogs thread but is totally irrelevant to the linguistic point I (and others) have made. Sitting around waiting for an animal (of any species) to turn up to be shot is not hunting by definition.

Sooo... When I am sitting in my duck blind, in the middle of the decoys I put out, waiting for some ducks to fly in, I am not really duck "hunting"??? And in the spring, when I put out my hen decoy, sit still as a statue with my back against a tree, and call with yelps and cackles, waiting for that old longbeard to walk in, I am not really turkey "hunting"??? Who da thunk it! Glad we got that cleared up.

Please enough of the nonsense in this thread. Do people stalk fish or do they wait for a bite. Are combat vets who have lost limbs that can't walk and stalk game still considered hunters or considered hunting? There's different types of hunting. Enough with the bs, we who are on this forum are the ones helping to keep our interest going. Leave it at that. I don't understand why people on here come down on one another.

Oh dear. A nicely bundled combination of ignorance, racism and inability to read.
Time to say goodbye.

Why would you think I don’t understand that? I am far from stupid and can read. That point was made ad nauseam in the hogs thread but is totally irrelevant to the linguistic point I (and others) have made. Sitting around waiting for an animal (of any species) to turn up to be shot is not hunting by definition.
WOW! I didn't mean to get your panties in a wad? I was trying to be helpful? I see I wasted my time?

If you are out in the field with your gun trying and/or hoping to harvest an animal, you are perusing. It doesn’t matter if you tracking, sneaking, wandering around aimlessly or sitting in a strategic location along an animal’s travel route

For sure.

If anyone thinks that hunting from a stand on the ground or in a tree is just a matter of plunking down and waiting, they have never tried it. It take hours of scouting, reading sign and patterning the game before one knows where to plunk ones arse. :)

Need a Snickers?

"Still hunting" is called that because the hunter is "still" (non-moving) about 95% of the time he's in the woods. It's not unusual for a hunter who is a "still hunter" to take half a day just to move 100 yards. One takes a step or two, stops and waits, an so on. Stand hunting (ambush) is the type of hunting mountain lions do. To be a successful "stand hunter" one much study and learn the travel patterns of deer in the area. Wind direction and sun angle must be taken into account. Make one mistake and it's over for the day. I've walked up deer before but that's not still hunting. Once all the scouting information is processed, the stand must be located and settled on. That's when the hunter can sit in front of a tree or in a screen of bushes and know he has an even chance of scoring. Running through the woods with a rifle and yelling "DEER" isn't hunting but is hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back