Of salt, salt mining and preservation

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Reaction score
I made a small batch of salt pork to use at events. Used my last last week, and dumped and cleaned my jar.
Much of the history of the frontier ran around enough salt to see a setter through the winter.
Salt ran at about the same price powder ran. Both sold in Saint Louis for .10 per pound in 1821
As I was cleaning my jar today I was thinking, could this not be dried and reused? After all it’s sterile
Waste nought want nought
Yet I don’t think I ever saw references to boiling ‘used salt’ for fisheries or frontiersman.

NeilMacleod

45 Cal.
Reaction score
After its been filtered, could re-dry it, might have funky flavours.

Reaction score
Creek I live on runs into Salt River in N.E. Missouri. Salt licks were valuable property. Indians "made" salt here by digging a hole, lining with deer hides and evaporation. Frenchmen arrived, used kettles to boil down salt water. Indians killed Frenchmen. Location changed hands several times in early times until finally some one built a water powered grain mill, small store, and salt production in the area was secured by entrepeneurs.

Water on my farm tested when I had a well drilled is "saltier than the ocean". Salt was a valuable commodity in early times - people were killed over it. "Mineral Water" was thought to have health benefits.

It smells and tastes awful. Not much grows around my salt licks, but deer love it. Wanna be historically correct? Find a salt lick, start boiling, and hold your nose.

Brokennock

75 Cal.
Reaction score
I made a small batch of salt pork to use at events. Used my last last week, and dumped and cleaned my jar.
Much of the history of the frontier ran around enough salt to see a setter through the winter.
Salt ran at about the same price powder ran. Both sold in Saint Louis for .10 per pound in 1821
As I was cleaning my jar today I was thinking, could this not be dried and reused? After all it’s sterile
Waste nought want nought
Yet I don’t think I ever saw references to boiling ‘used salt’ for fisheries or frontiersman.
Maybe don't reuse it for food. Dissolve it, evaporate the water, use the salt on your steps or walkways if you get icy weather.
Or use it to salt the base of some squirrel tails to sell to Mepps. 😉

Reaction score
Creek I live on runs into Salt River in N.E. Missouri. Salt licks were valuable property. Indians "made" salt here by digging a hole, lining with deer hides and evaporation. Frenchmen arrived, used kettles to boil down salt water. Indians killed Frenchmen. Location changed hands several times in early times until finally some one built a water powered grain mill, small store, and salt production in the area was secured by entrepeneurs.

Water on my farm tested when I had a well drilled is "saltier than the ocean". Salt was a valuable commodity in early times - people were killed over it. "Mineral Water" was thought to have health benefits.

It smells and tastes awful. Not much grows around my salt licks, but deer love it. Wanna be historically correct? Find a salt lick, start boiling, and hold your nose.
Yes and a pia, at an event one time for tourist I was one of Nathan Boone’s Employees boiling salt cr 1810. It was a big operation

Reaction score
Salt has always been a valuable commodity. Roman soldiers received part of their pay in salt. Hence the term "salary" (or so I recall from World History class decades ago). Without refrigeration, preserving food was a problem until Napolean used canning to provide grub for his troops. Food-borne disease killed lots of folks, even in towns and cities. Both sides of our families salt-cured hams every year, quit when Pop died. Still buy a cured ham from Burger's Smokehouse on occasion. Red eye gravy from country ham - good breakfast stuff.

Living day-to-day on a diet of smoked/dried/salt cured meat as people did back in the day is not a lifestyle most would find enjoyable nowadays. Preserving hides was another use for salt.

Reaction score
I find salt pork very good, and corned beef to. I think I could be happy on a diet of preserved meat.
No my question was about reusing salt. Is there any reason one can’t boil off the sat one used.
Salt pork is made with a layer of salt, meat, salt meat and so on. Then cover with brine as strong as needed to float an egg
Remove the meat you still have a container of salt and water. I’m sure they could reuse this salt. It’s sterile, and should be clean.

Reaction score
Don't know about doing salt pork that way, we just did hams. Doing brine in anything other than a ceramic crock or glass might not work real well. Trichinosis (sp?) has always been one malady we were warned against when butchering hogs. Salt might take care of it, don't know.

Reaction score
I would not think the left over brine in your jar would be sterile. There would be blood and tissue residue mixed in. Maybe you could dissolve all the salt into brine and then dry it again.

You raised an excellent question. The answer is probably above my pay grade.

Reaction score
I would not think the left over brine in your jar would be sterile. There would be blood and tissue residue mixed in. Maybe you could dissolve all the salt into brine and then dry it again.

You raised an excellent question. The answer is probably above my pay grade.
It’s steril because the salt concentration is so high bacteria or any other living thing can’t survive it.
sugar works the same way. You can leave salt and sugar out and it stays clean.
The meat won’t rot as no bugs can eat it.
Ham and bacon also salted or sugared but dry with the smoking.
Salami or Cherizo is fermented

Latest posts