Of cloaks and Trenton

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

Reaction score
Battle of Trenton. Washington surprised hessians, victory saved the rebel cause.
Well trained, eat dead burnt babies hard core Soldiers fell to a bunch of rag-a-muffins lead by an amateur with a history of defeat.
How’d it happen?
Well.
My great coat is more nineteenth century. I wanted something to wear in colder weather that went with my more mid eighteenth century.
But I didn’t want to sew up another great coat. So this week I made a boat cloak.
Grey wool, red lining, a hook and eye closure, lots easier to make then a coat. And no buttons!!! Or more important button holes.
Had to try it on.
Went in changed in to my breeches ( no stockings) shirt, waistcoat, four hundred buttons, coat another four hundred buttons, didn’t bother with neckcloth glasses or hat, just the basics, flicked on the cloak over all
Been an hour I’m sure
The American cause, our very existence as a nation, was won by an hour it took to get dressed😂

Reaction score
789AACA9-44A8-42AD-902D-616EC0FDDE98.jpeg
Tenngun you do know that without a photo it never happened. :D

Reaction score
Nice job but it looks rather medievalist to me, are your sure you're not hanging out with some serving young wrench?
As I was planning it I looked up everything I could find on them. The basic eighteenth is oft shown in blue, sans hood and with a cape. However photos I found of old ones were multi colored, more often then not sans cape.
Almost all seem to have been half circles.
Sewing this one up I had about a hundred dollars in it, it may not be correct, but I couldn’t find much specific on style changes over the years.
Even high middle age nobleman’s had some style differences but often just seem that same half circle
You see a few full, but I couldn’t put a finger on any thing that specifically said mid eighteenth vs seventeenth or nineteenth.
If or when I should say I learn something new this won’t be hard to replace