• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Of bacon grease

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My schedule is all over the map. About 80% of my dinner cooking is in a deep dish cast iron pan.
I make dinners on my nights off but last week did some grilling out doors.
Didn’t use my main pot for a couple of weeks. Used it tonight.
So, I wash when I’m done reheat the pot to dry then grease or oil.
Sometimes olive oil, sometimes lard, sometimes ghee, sometimes coconut oil. Lots of time bacon grease.
Now we all know that the salts in bacon grease will rust iron, so we never use it in a barrel, never as a patch lube.
Hmmm.
No rust on my pots, even the ones I’ve not used for some months.

My schedule is all over the map. About 80% of my dinner cooking is in a deep dish cast iron pan.
I make dinners on my nights off but last week did some grilling out doors.
Didn’t use my main pot for a couple of weeks. Used it tonight.
So, I wash when I’m done reheat the pot to dry then grease or oil.
Sometimes olive oil, sometimes lard, sometimes ghee, sometimes coconut oil. Lots of time bacon grease.
Now we all know that the salts in bacon grease will rust iron, so we never use it in a barrel, never as a patch lube.
Hmmm.
No rust on my pots, even the ones I’ve not used for some months.
Have you ever tried sowbelly with the buttons on? Its one cut below side meat. Been a white bacon fan since I was a baby.

Well, the salts are corrosive because they behave as a base, stealing an electron or 2 from each iron atom...if oxygen is present, it rapidly lends the iron ions back their electrons forming iron oxide which has a red color, and is recognized as rust. Fatty molecules, i.e., bacon grease, mitigate this process quite a bit, despite having quite a bit of nitrates and other salts. So likely that has something to do with the lack of rust. Its been years since ive taken a chemistry class though. So what do i know...

Damn, it’s over forty, not stick, food cooked in it taste great, no rust, water beads, deglazed easy, seems in good shape
Can't be, lol.

I love how very frequently around here one can be doing/using something for decades and someone will always come along and tell you, "it can't work," "it's bad for _____," it'll ruin your ____," and so on.

Eat the bacon grease, it's good for your heart, keeps everything slicked up inside. Use 1400 other concoctions in your rifle barrel, they all work like a charm, just ask the man who uses one of them. Or use Mobil 1 synthetic oil, your barrel won't 'knock' and millions of whales will breathe easier, LOL!

Damn, it’s over forty, not stick, food cooked in it taste great, no rust, water beads, deglazed easy, seems in good shape
Just relaying my experience with cooking everything utilizing my cast iron as my only cookware. Somes been passed down, others compiled over time.
Perhaps some bacon is different than others? Here in Canada I haven’t found one that treats my pans well.
Glad yours works as it should.
Walk

Can't be, lol.

I love how very frequently around here one can be doing/using something for decades and someone will always come along and tell you, "it can't work," "it's bad for _____," it'll ruin your ____," and so on.
Again, just relaying my experiences sir. If yours differs that is fine, but I ain’t no noob with cast iron. You know what I love? When people offer up their experiences and someone has to cut them for doing so. I’m not new to this site, and neither you, and also have seen it more and more recently. What was the insight you added to the thread? Your purpose of posting?
Walk

Eat the bacon grease, it's good for your heart, keeps everything slicked up inside. Use 1400 other concoctions in your rifle barrel, they all work like a charm, just ask the man who uses one of them. Or use Mobil 1 synthetic oil, your barrel won't 'knock' and millions of whales will breathe easier, LOL!
Moderation in all things
High fats in the proper mix will lower your bad cholesterol, low fat diet can mess with your good cholesterol and vitamin absorption
A Hari Krishna once told me ‘your only reincarnated thirty or forty thousand times in this realm of existence you need to grab all the gusto you can’

I use animal fats that have had the salt removed. To remove the salt place the animal fat in a pan with water. 50/50 bring to a boil, let set until the fat has hardened. Pour off the water and salt. Repeat until the water does not taste salty.

It's the sugar in some modern bacon that really sticks to my cast iron skillet. I had to go to a ceramic pan to cook the darn stuff. Plain old bacon is hard to find and salt pork even harder. As to the health hazards of eating bacon and sowbelly it's like my neighbor said, "My momma wouldn't a died at 96 if she hadn't ate all that hog lard".

Had another crack head come up this morning looking to steal something that makes about 4 in the last 2 weeks, dog ran him off up the 150 yd driveway but they'll be back. It was good around here for the first 25 years, but it's getting crowded back in the sticks and us old disabled folks are just easy pluckin's. The general level of human decency has gone way down, and if I'm reincarnated maybe I won't have to be a human next time around. Life without parole is losing its deterrent value the older I get...
I am not bashful about peppering them with whatever I have loaded. Place is posted and you do not get here by mistake. I have no qualms about hurting you.

Treestalker, it would be my luck if reincarnated I would come back as a squirrel and one of you fellas would shoot me, put me in a cast iorn griswald with some bacon grease, come too think of it kinda of a nobel way too check out.

Latest posts

Back