• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

October Postal Match

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Salty 10/16/22
45TC Hawken
45grSwiss
440 ball
CCI 11 mag caps
Total 22 I think. Lemme know if I scored correctly.
Thanks for sending in your target and stats Salty! To score in any part of the target your round ball must be into the scoring area at least 1/2 of the ball diameter. Using this scoring method your target scored as an 8 because the ones that hit the eye and mouths were not in half of the ball diameter. This keeps the scoring factor the same whether you are shooting a .32 or a .72 cal rifle.

Thanks for sending in your target and stats Salty! To score in any part of the target your round ball must be into the scoring area at least 1/2 of the ball diameter. Using this scoring method your target scored as an 8 because the ones that hit the eye and mouths were not in half of the ball diameter. This keeps the scoring factor the same whether you are shooting a .32 or a .72 cal rifle.
Gary, got it. Thank you. Better next month.

Yesterday was a beautiful day for going to the range! Sunny, 66 but WINDY! The noise lever from the AR crowd was almost unbearable, too.
I blame my ever growing patterns on the noise and wind, and oh yea, the sun was in my eyes too.😆

T/C Renegade .50
60 Gr of 3F Schuetzen
.018” Pillow Tick patch
Frontiers Bear Paw lube
Hornady .490 Rounds
Old black plastic tin of CVA caps
Sunny and cool and windy and loud

37 points

If I didn't score the target correctly please correct me- pertaining to the one round that touched two teeth.
Updated with correct score of 27.

Thanks Gary !

Attachments

• 2022 10 MLF Oct Target Corrected.jpg
    2022 10 MLF Oct Target Corrected.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Didn't improve much over last month. However I was shooting with several friends and we had a great time shooting and just BS ragging on each other

Attachments

• 2022-10 PostalShoot.jpg
    2022-10 PostalShoot.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Didn't improve much over last month. However I was shooting with several friends and we had a great time shooting and just BS ragging on each other
Thanks JGH45 - you hit the nail on the head - it's more about being with friends and having a good time. These informal matches give us an excuse to do exactly what you did - enjoy some fellowship with our friends.

My friend Kerry (he's shooting in the attached picture) and me went to the club today to shoot this target - beautiful sunny day and @45 degrees when we started. I have to start making these targets easier to see! I had a heck of a time seeing them at 25 yds! Next month willl be better.

Kibler .32 SMR, 25 gr Schuetzen 3F, fiber wad lubed with beeswax/ballistol grease, .018 cotton drill patch lubed with ballisot/water mix, .310 RB.

Not sure if I will keep using the wads - I wanted to try them so I could use a really wet patch to keep the barrel clean and easy to load. It does load easily using this method.

Anyway, we had a great time and I will be posting a new target at the end of the month for November.

Gary
Kerry - October 2022 target.jpgOctober completed.jpg

Garypl and I shot this target today. Nice crisp morning, although I had a hard time seeing those pumpkins. To my surprise, I actually hit a couple. Today was a good day.

Attachments

• IMG_20221021_162443671.jpg
    IMG_20221021_162443671.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Just for the heck of it I shot another target at 15 yards this time with a Ruger Old Army.
30 grains of FFF
.457 RB-chambers sealed with TC lube.
I shot left handed this time, with support from my right.
Several whiffs but I manged to hit the nose twice.
020.jpg

Just for the heck of it I shot another target at 15 yards this time with a Ruger Old Army.
30 grains of FFF
.457 RB-chambers sealed with TC lube.
I shot left handed this time, with support from my right.
Several whiffs but I manged to hit the nose twice.
View attachment 170846
Nice shooting with your ROA and thanks for sending it in! Check your scoring though - should be total of 22😊

Nice shooting with your ROA and thanks for sending it in! Check your scoring though - should be total of 22😊
Ok.
This was my 2nd submission. I shot earlier in the month with my TC Patriot. It might not be scored correctly either.
But, hey, its just for fun anyway. I had a great time shooting both. Wish I could have gotten some rifle in, but I did try and my score was not good enough to post. Maybe next month.

Ok.
This was my 2nd submission. I shot earlier in the month with my TC Patriot. It might not be scored correctly either.
But, hey, its just for fun anyway. I had a great time shooting both. Wish I could have gotten some rifle in, but I did try and my score was not good enough to post. Maybe next month.
I'm glad you are having fun - that's what this is all about!
Gary

11th corp's experience with the revolver motivated me to print another pumpkin target and have at it with my 1858 New Model Army. (Actually I was planning to take it to the range anyway.) My result wasn't good enough to post, as I had trouble finding where the gun shoots. However, once I got that figured out, I was quite pleased with its accuracy + I got the chance to use up some 10 yr. old+ Pyrodex P. Here are the particulars: 30gr. Pyro. P + Ox Yoke lubed OP wads + .451" home cast RB's (Lee mould). Caps were Rem. #10's, but # 11's also work. I cleaned the bore and wiped the cylinder, frame, and cylinder pin/arbor after every 6 shots. (You really have to do that with Pyrodex as well as BP). When I ran out of Pyro P, I tried 30gr. GOEX FFg + Win. Mag. #11 caps.. All else was the same. "Recoil," which was virtually nil with Pyrodex, was almost undetectable. I also shot (not for record) that small, central pumpkin, at ~10 yd. (so I could see where the gun was hitting) and essentially destroyed it. All in all, it was fun since that gun badly needed some exercise!

These pumpkins were tough. They want to float around over my sights. After a lot of powder and lead, this is my best effort.

Again I appreciate the effort to make this match happen and look forward to the next one.

Attachments

• F5A91201-A884-44F7-B67A-B24A1CF0BE30.jpeg
    F5A91201-A884-44F7-B67A-B24A1CF0BE30.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 1B8F240F-E1B2-403E-84F1-04F1E8B966D6.jpeg
    1B8F240F-E1B2-403E-84F1-04F1E8B966D6.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
J dirt - thanks for bringing this to my attention! Guess I forgot to tally the scores last month - been really busy with work.

Here are the results for rifle, followed by pistol. I corrected a few of the scores - when scoring please lay the target flat and fold up any flaps from under the target to provide a better image. One half of the ball must be inside the scoring ring to count and there are a few targets that looked to me like they were scored higher without meeting the 1/2 diameter requirement. If I made any mistakes due to unclear targets please send me new pics with more detail and I can correct myself!

Rifle:

J dirt - 42 pts
Richard Dittman - 33 pts
deerstalkert - 32 pts
Crooked Creek - 27 pts
Maven & nessmuk - teid with 24 pts
buckskinquin - 21 pts
garypl - 17 pts
JGH45 - 16 pts
JakeGA - 14 pts
Salty - 8 pts

Pistol:

11th corp - 26 pts
J diry - 25 pts
Baby Huey - 17 pts

I thought I would try the pistol target also. I shot it with my 1860 Colt. Shot the other one with my 25 Cal. Flintlock. At least I could see this one better than last months.

Attachments

• IMG_4273.jpeg
    IMG_4273.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4271.jpeg
    IMG_4271.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
I thought I would try the pistol target also. I shot it with my 1860 Colt. Shot the other one with my 25 Cal. Flintlock. At least I could see this one better than last months.
Emery - you posted your targets in the October 2022 forum. Maybe repost in the 2023 match!:thumb:

Beautiful morning in the Heartland.
.40 flintlock poor boy
.390 RB
40 grains 3F
P.T. patch, maxi lube

I shot this over a bag, sitting.
I had some ignition issues. Got frustrated shooting off hand so I switched to sitting with a new target.
It was a fun target, easy to see at 25 yards.
Just missed with my first shot, nicked his face but it looks like the ball is more outside then in so zero on it.
008.jpg

Back