• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

October 2020 Postal Match - Squirrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
October Squirrel Hunt

October Bark The Squirrel Target is attached below in pdf form. Download and print.

We will follow the scoring and instructions printed on the target.

We will shoot at 25 Yards Offhand ONLY.

Print your Forum Screen Name on your target.

You will shoot a total of 5 shots.

No do-over’s.

Only registered forum members may participate.

Only traditional, open iron sighted muzzle loading firearms; peeps are allowed under the condition you mark your target so I know you used a peep. (Tracking it) NO Cannons. Percussion, flintlock or matchlock ignition only. Cap and Ball revolvers are OK and judged in pistol class.

Single patched round ball only. No restrictions on caliber. (a patchless ball may be used if so desired)

Note: October shoot exception; As I stated last month I will accept targets shot with Minni ball but those targets will be scored and reported in a separate class of their own.

Shots shall be taken off-hand at 25 yards. Standing or seated is allowed, elbows unsupported by anything other than the shooters torso. In the event that a member is not physically able to hold his rifle up unsupported, a "prop-rod" that is supported only by the shooters torso, no part of which prop-rod may touch the ground, may be used to hold up the fore-end of the rifle.

Only original targets will be accepted. No copies, faxes, scan, etc.

*New Rules!!*
Old Eyes - Small Targets, What To Do?
Considering the nature of the event being, a print and mail target and there being no prize other than bragging rights, the object is to encourage ML shooters to shoot and share their results, whatever they may be, in hopes we can all learn a bit. In September 2020 shoot participants overwhelmingly voted to adjust the rules to allow adding color to the target(s) to add contrast to better see the intended point of impact. This can be done at the individual shooters desire, this is optional.

For those who would like, you can shoot one target with long gun and one with pistol. Please mark your target accordingly.

Overseas participants may scan and e-mail me. Just send me a PM through the forum and attach it or I'll give you my e-mail address. As long as I can CLEARLY make the target out I'll accept it.** (I recommend using a dark backing paper when you scan / copy it if possible so that the holes show clearly)

Scoring will be as follows:
How close is close enough? Over half the ball must penetrate inside the scoring ring to be counted at the highest value. In other words, the ring in which the majority of the ball hits the target will be the score value. The center of the shot placement on the target will be determined by the judge. Judges decisions are final.

Fire 5 shots only, misses count! Mutilated targets or targets with more than 5 holes will be disqualified. If you have any questions, suggestions or concerns please don't hesitate to contact me.

Mail your target, postmarked no later than October 31st, to:
Marc Smith
1900 Parkway Drive
Casper, WY 82609
Attn: September Target

If you don’t mind sharing I would also like to know what you’re shooting. Include type of firearm, caliber, ball diameter, patch thickness, lube, powder type and grains used, barrel length and twist rate. This isn’t required I’m just the curious sort. And I believe others might enjoy knowing a bit more about what and who they are shooting with. It's a great way to learn too.

Thanks for shooting and Godspeed ladies & gentleman!!

MSmith

Attachments

• Squirrel.pdf
    135.7 KB · Views: 451
The ALR Forum used that target recently and it's challenging for old eyes. Think about coloring the horizontal pc. of bark, 8 points, so it is more visible. Ditto for the squirrel's eye. It helped for me (I used an orange marker), but alas, I was not among the winners.

Got mine shot. Group wasn't bad, it was just not in a great place. Good warm-up for some matches next weekend.

Thanks for putting on these matches.

Attachments

• 20201002_142957.jpg
    20201002_142957.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 270
Gave me a good excuse to lift the CVA Hawken Rifle from the floor joists above it was mounted to in my basement. This belonged to my Dad, he's been gone more then 20 years. I don't think I have ever fired it. At first I had trouble with ignition, but it seems the nipple is not tall enough so I just screwed it out a couple of turns and got mostly first try ignition. Will look for a new nipple. I am retired, so I can go out to the range on weekdays. Some people dream of travelling or doing other things in retirement, to me nothing beats the ability to go to the range on a cool cloudy weekday in Indiana.
After shooting the target I set up a hedge apple on top of the target board and took an offhand shot at it from the same distance. I got a satisfying explosion of material. I then took the rifle to the longer range and shot at 100 then 200 yards. I bumped the load to 70 grains, and was surprised how little drop I got at 200 yards. Came home, cleaned it up, and will get it out again soon. Lord willing.

Gave me a good excuse to lift the CVA Hawken Rifle from the floor joists above it was mounted to in my basement. This belonged to my Dad, he's been gone more then 20 years. I don't think I have ever fired it. At first I had trouble with ignition, but it seems the nipple is not tall enough so I just screwed it out a couple of turns and got mostly first try ignition. Will look for a new nipple. I am retired, so I can go out to the range on weekdays. Some people dream of travelling or doing other things in retirement, to me nothing beats the ability to go to the range on a cool cloudy weekday in Indiana.
After shooting the target I set up a hedge apple on top of the target board and took an offhand shot at it from the same distance. I got a satisfying explosion of material. I then took the rifle to the longer range and shot at 100 then 200 yards. I bumped the load to 70 grains, and was surprised how little drop I got at 200 yards. Came home, cleaned it up, and will get it out again soon. Lord willing.
You ever see anyone with a nipple stuck in their forehead. Keep shooting with a loose nipple and you will be able to look in a mirror and maybe see one of you still have a eye left.Don't shoot that rifle till you get a new nipple or figure out why the nipple is too short. Sounds to me that you have another problem . Maybe your cap isn't going down far enough on the nipple. Take a small file and Chuck it in a drill then lightly file it. If the top of the nipple is mushroomed out that will also fix it. Be safe we don't need any bad press.

Last edited by a moderator:
You ever see anyone with a nipple stuck in their forehead. Keep shooting with a loose nipple and you will be able to look in a mirror and maybe see one of you still have a eye left.Don't shoot that rifle till you get a new nipple or figure out why the nipple is too short. Sounds to me that you have another problem . Maybe your cap isn't going down far enough on the nipple. Take a small file and Chuck it in a drill then lightly file it. If the top of the nipple is mushroomed out that will also fix it. Be safe we don't need any baby press.

Point taken. I did take the nipple out of my TC Hawken .45 but it did not fit. Stopped at my lgs and purchased new nipples. When I get out to the range next time I will report back. btw, I only shoot with ballistics glasses in place. You only get two eyes.

As of Tuesday October 27th I have received targets from:
11th corps
AMES
Flinter 1977
Grenadier1758
Maven -- Pistol
Nessmuk
Professor flintlock
Silky921

This coming Saturday is the deadline to have get your target in the mail. In the meantime get your art supplies ready for the November target. :)

Unfortunately I did not get out and shoot again this month. Between spending 2 weeks at our cabin in Vermont, bow hunting, a computer crash and a leak in my roof there was not enough time. Plus it has rained all day for the last 4 and is raining now. Try again next month.

Dave

Missed the last couple of comps due to weather, entering the Irish Open ( sorry to say not muzzleloaders )and getting conversion back to flinchlock kind of sorted. Filing the front sight down at midnight!
Not a great score but laugh value for others on the range was worth it.
Robert
1A10739B-CF0B-47A2-A015-65FAFEA06407.jpeg

October Squirrel Hunt Target Final Results

This was another difficult target because of the negative point areas. For some reason negative areas act as a lead round ball magnet. I hate-em!

There were 13 shooters who made it out to shoot at least once this month! Thanks for taking the extra effort involved to put this target in you shooting sequence and mailing it in to be scored and reported here.

Professor flintlock was high score for the third month in a row. I bet he cooks as well as he hunts. Ames came in second and Josephg third. Professor flintlock wrote some comments on his target that I have decided to post as an end *Note at the bottom of this post. He also suggested posting pictures of the top three targets which I will also attach.

Rifle Top 3 Scores​

Member​
Score​
Professor flintlock
25​
Ames
18​
Josephg
15​

Rifle All Shooters w/Remarks​

Member​
Score​
Remarks​
11th corps
13​
CVA .45 percussion, .440, 60 gr. OE 3f, pt patch.
Ames
18​
.50 cal, 50 gr 3f
Cankeney
0​
Chambers Early VA.62 cal, .610, 90 gr Graf 2f, .022 pt w/TOW mink oil. 42” 1:72 Rice bbl.
Flinter 1977
0​
.32 Pedersoli PA flint w/ 42” barrel, .310, 25 gr Graff 3f & sows, T/C patch
Grenadier1758
-12​
.36 SMR flint, L&R lock .350, 35 gr 3f -4f prime, .018 patch, moose milk, 32” barrel, 1: 48.
Josephg
15​
.38 Original Old Picket rifle, 15 gr 3f, peep sight
Nessmuk
-25​
.45 parts rifle, 40 gr 3f, .440
Professor Flintlock
25​
32, Vincent – flint ,32 gr 3f, .319, beeswax, tallow & bear oil lube. Green Mtn. bbl, peep sight non-adjustaable.
Richard Dittman
10​
.50 TC Hawken 55 gr 2f, Green Mountain bbl.
Robertirvine
0​
.45 Perdosoli KY, 45 gr 3f, .445
russellshaffer
-2​
.45 Juker Ky
Silky921
-10​

Pistol All Shooters w/Remarks​

Member​
Score​
Remarks​
Maven
33 (20 yd)​
ROA (Rugar Old Army?) 25 gr Goex 3f, wool wad, adapted WC (home cast), 7-1/2 bbl
Russellshaffer
-10​
CVA .45 KY

*Note from Professor flintlock:
No splinters in my squirrel stew! 68 years old, 5 heart attacks, 22 stints, pacemaker difibulator, cardo mems implant – not bad eh! Doesn’t anybody shoot on this forum?

Proffesor flintlock.jpg

Attachments

• Ames.jpg
    Ames.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 144
  • Josephg.jpg
    Josephg.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 150
Back