• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TRADE Obsidian for pipestone

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have 4 tennis/baseball sized pieces of obsidian left. I picked these up in the black rock desert of Northern NV.

I would like to trade them for a like quantity of pipestone.

Thanks

20210327_074014.jpg

Anything big enough to make a real pipe out of.

And absorb the slings, and arrows of my learning curve.

Just my opinion but Id recommend upping your offer Mr Sublette, Pipestone / catlinite is getting very hard to come by and to legally obtain it it takes some planning and luck. Its been a while since i looked into it but best I can recall... You have to be an enrolled member of a federally recognized tribe, put in a dig request (couple year wait), once approved you're assigned a 3 month block to which you can make your way to Minnesota and go remove x amount of stone by hand and no machinery is allowed. Ive heard there's decent usable pipestone here in Utah but ill be danged if I can figure out where other than "near Delta Utah", if you can figure it out ill help you dig it. Otherwise maybe look for an Indian store or trading post in your area, I know theres one in SLC that has it but a piece the size you're looking for would probably set you back $50+ (same place you can buy a crappy brain tanned deer hide for $900...)

Just my opinion but Id recommend upping your offer Mr Sublette, Pipestone / catlinite is getting very hard to come by and to legally obtain it it takes some planning and luck. Its been a while since i looked into it but best I can recall... You have to be an enrolled member of a federally recognized tribe, put in a dig request (couple year wait), once approved you're assigned a 3 month block to which you can make your way to Minnesota and go remove x amount of stone by hand and no machinery is allowed. Ive heard there's decent usable pipestone here in Utah but ill be danged if I can figure out where other than "near Delta Utah", if you can figure it out ill help you dig it. Otherwise maybe look for an Indian store or trading post in your area, I know theres one in SLC that has it but a piece the size you're looking for would probably set you back $50+ (same place you can buy a crappy brain tanned deer hide for $900...)

You can buy stone at the Pipestone quarry at Pipestone, Minn. An even better way to get it, is to talk to the local Indians. Many will have some stashed away, usually kept wet under some plastic tarp. Quality tends to be a bit better than the quarry samples.

Back