• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

NW Trade guns and fowlers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Arguably Curley did start the craze for the trade gun. I knew Curley in the 70s when few were interested in flint smoothies at all. The 'buckskinners' of the time largely ignored the timeline of events during the fur trade era and claimed the only gun a 'real mountain man' would have was a Hawken. Curley was as fine a person as you would want to ever know. He was a champion camp cook and shared with anyone that came by. He is missed but he did create a legacy as shown by the now wide interest in trade guns.

I did this to my old Centermark Fusil de Chasse this past summer. Why,?, ‘cause I wanted to! Don’t care about it’s PC-ness. They are a bit of a fantasy anyway.
857-DAD81-7-DE7-430-E-B4-B0-BFAD01-D22-C88.jpg

Great job on the gun. I really like the look "fantasy" or not.....

Arguably Curley did start the craze for the trade gun. I knew Curley in the 70s when few were interested in flint smoothies at all. The 'buckskinners' of the time largely ignored the timeline of events during the fur trade era and claimed the only gun a 'real mountain man' would have was a Hawken. Curley was as fine a person as you would want to ever know. He was a champion camp cook and shared with anyone that came by. He is missed but he did create a legacy as shown by the now wide interest in trade guns.

Curley was a good friend. I spent a lot of time BS'ing about trade guns with him. He was the keeper of the "bull pen" (adult beverages) for me when my wife and I hosted an AMM Eastern at our property here in Southernmost IL.

He offered to make me a Chiefs Grade gun but I did not take advantage of that offer. Sorry I did not do it. What a gun that would have been. He certainly left a legacy for many to follow. I had a phone conversation with "Kiwi" a month or two back and we reminisced about Curley a good deal.

RIP old buddy..... you left us a lot to look at.

Last edited:
Great pics so far folks.

So, with trade guns and fowlers in mind, do you consider yourself to be a buckskinner. Perhaps an added note might be whether or not you do the rendezvous stuff..... Just asking....

I’m to broke down too be a Skinner’, but I wish I could have had
that opportunity when I was younger.

I didn’t have a clue anything like that still existed, least not East of the Big Muddy.

Nowadays I consider myself a hunter, that loves too shoot.

I enjoy doing monthly club shoots as well as I make 5 or 6 Rendezvous a year if possible .

I can only imagine the shinin’ times that were had!

I have a 58 cal trade gun I bought used. I added the antiqued tacks. About a year or so later I bought a 58 cal trade pistol kit I built from Noth Star West Trade Gun Co. to go with my trade gun. I like that I can shoot shot or round ball. I've got a few deer, a lot of squirrels and a turkey. I think I did the picture right.
20190112_123252.jpg

I had put together a flintlock fowler in the late 90's. I contacted Curley at NSW for a 42" 20 gauge barrel. They had the best price on a smoothbore barrels and had a breech plug already installed. Seemed to me it cost $90. Used a Durs Egg lock and Pecatonica Long Rifle Supply stock (just 20 miles away) in cherry wood. The barrel was a good weight and the gun balances beautifully. I only placed an order with him once and this was my only discussion with him. If it was still possible I would buy a pistol length barrel from him. I still have the brochure somewhere from back then.

if you went to the fur traders musem east of chardron ne a little bit, their are 100/s of the real deal rifles what you are interested in. most flinters but some converted to preucssion. some are even for sale and they are originals.

I have always been amazed at the numbers of "trade guns" that were shipped to the colonies for the trade. Seems like every native in the East and surely every western trapper should have had one. When we really started shooting smooth bore trade guns a lot of folks laughed and said it was dumb. Then the interest caught on and eventually moved on to American built fowlers.... It all makes sense when you think about it. The sheer duplicity of the guns made perfect sense.

I still see a number of folks at rendezvous carrying them around and the shoots that many buckskin clubs sponsor now have trade gun or smooth bore matches. Neat, dont ya think.

I have always wanted a Chiefs Grade long barrel gun..... too little to late...….

Thanks to everyone who has posted so far.

Back