• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

NW CT?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm probably too far south and east of you here in Salem. You might try the Sharon Mountain Muzzleloaders. They have several shoots per year, and they are a great bunch of guys.

Sharon Mountain is only interested in talking to you at one of the 2 events they hold, I asked if they had anyone that was willing to meet with and or educate someone new, I was told I'm welcome to come to an event.
I would prefer to be involved more then twice a year.

I have yet to actually meet anyone involved with Sharon Mountain, so I can't say what kind of people they are. If you have other contacts that are more welcoming, feel free to pass my information along.

Sorry, I have only gone to a few of their events. Our club (The Niantic Sportsmen's Club) has monthly shoots in the fall thru early spring. We are very informal, and there is always free advice and coaching. Our next scheduled shoot is Jan. 6, 2019 from 9:30 AM- about 2PM. Registration is from 9:30-10:00. Costs for the shoot are around $10.00, and that includes a free lunch. If you are willing to make the trip, just ask for me when you get there.

Thanks for the offer.
My issue is there are at least 5 sportsman's clubs and Sharon Mountain all about 1/2 hour from me and there is pretty much nothing muzzleloading going on. I have contacted NMLRA, they just asked me to give them money, but weren't interested in trying to help me increase participation in my area, I even offered to be a local rep. I reached out Sharon Mountain, they told me come to an event if I want to even talk to someone. I reached out to this forum, I was told "there is nothing I can do". See the pattern here.
I made my first rifle, working on my second, I make self bows, wood self knock arrows, I have a forge and make blades, I sew, hunt, do leather work, I'm an NRA instructor and RSO.
If I'm the only one willing to do something, is it any wonder the sport is dying?

Like I said, our club has about 25-30 avid black powder shooters. Our numbers are dwindling due to age and infirmities, but we do have a few younger fellows that seem to enthused about the sport, and we put on a demonstration and shooting field day for all club members, our youth group, and the public. Everyone wants to shoot, but once they see what's involved with cleaning and care, they seem to lose interest. Too bad for them. I got into this muzzle loading stuff about 25 years ago, and now it is my primary source of shooting and hunting. I cannot remember the last time I used one of my centerfire rifles. I'm thinking I just may sell them off and keep only my BP guns. So If you want to make a trip down to our club sometime, look me up. We have trail walk shoots scheduled for 1/6, 1/27,2/10, 3/10, 3/31, and 4/7 of 2019.

And like I said, this is about lack of participation in my area, thanks for ignoring everything I wrote and continuing to advertise your club events which aren't relevant to this thread or conversation.

Once again, this is about muzzleloading and the lack of participation in the NW corner. I'm very happy things in Niantic are going so well for you.

Hey, I was just trying to let you know that there are active muzzleloader shooting clubs in CT. Not my fault if the NW part of the state doesn't participate. I thought you were looking for a area club with shoots and interest, but you just seem to care about the NW part of the state. Oh well, good luck.

Hey Grimrod give CT Shooter a break. He said he doesn't want to go your part of CT to learn and shoot mzldrs.

And like I said, this is about lack of participation in my area, thanks for ignoring everything I wrote and continuing to advertise your club events which aren't relevant to this thread or conversation.

Once again, this is about muzzleloading and the lack of participation in the NW corner. I'm very happy things in Niantic are going so well for you.
CT Shooter I noticed in muzzle blast there in a club in Putnam if thats any interest to. Feel free to contact me for more info if needed. I promise not to try to get you to come to SW Missouri to shoot. HA HA.
Take care

8 bore- As you probably already know, CT is a pretty small state, and I was just trying to let the fella know that there are some black powder shooters in the state. Putnam is about as far from him as I am. I think he might try some of the clubs just over the state line in MA or NY.

Thanks for the offer.
My issue is there are at least 5 sportsman's clubs and Sharon Mountain all about 1/2 hour from me and there is pretty much nothing muzzleloading going on. I have contacted NMLRA, they just asked me to give them money, but weren't interested in trying to help me increase participation in my area, I even offered to be a local rep. I reached out Sharon Mountain, they told me come to an event if I want to even talk to someone. I reached out to this forum, I was told "there is nothing I can do". See the pattern here.
I made my first rifle, working on my second, I make self bows, wood self knock arrows, I have a forge and make blades, I sew, hunt, do leather work, I'm an NRA instructor and RSO.
If I'm the only one willing to do something, is it any wonder the sport is dying?

Maybe you should start your own one man Muzzle Loading club. Just a thought.

Maybe you should start your own one man Muzzle Loading club. Just a thought.
After spending 3 1\2 years, mostly alone, going through surgeries and treatment to become a 2 time cancer survivor, it would be nice to spend time with people that share a common interest.

A "one man club" sort of defeats the goal of trying to increase participation in my area.
How about this, an active club that is sort of close , reaches out and offers to help bring their successful program to other local clubs, that would be a positive step in helping increase participation.

CT Shooter,
Resign yourself to standing alone except for the good advice & help you can get from some of the really knowledgable, helpful guys on forums like this one, and once you've got your ML "act" pretty well together, make the pilgrimage to meet & shoot with some of the guys you've been corresponding with :)
Once you don't feel green as grass, and could offer a bit of help to anyone not shooting an in-line, put some notices up on the board at local gunshops, ranges....
You may find a person or two to shoot with eventually.
(It's the same with long-range, BPCR, cowboy action shooting, field target airgunning...It'll take patience, some rudimentary knowledge on your part, tolerance, and good luck to find a shooting buddy with like interests...)(Heavy on the "luck" part!;-) )
Dave, aka The Curmudgeon

Last edited by a moderator:
"and once you've got your ML "act" pretty well together"

Please define that statement.

What advice should I be looking for from the forum that will get my "act" together?

Dave do you have any positive comments on how we can increase participation in my area, which is the topic of this thread which the forum rules say we are supposed to follow?

You've had some good advice from guys that know more than I do.
I thought you were just starting out.

Best of luck!
Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Back