• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

"Nuther Smoothie question? The

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rebel

Cannon
Reaction score
barrel and lock on my North Star West Early English Trade gun are in the white, with an aged patina on them. Problem is that the sun reflecting off the top of the barrel makes sighting difficult at times. Would it still be PC if the barrel were blued? I doubt that browning it would be, but i thought maybe bluing it would. Don't know that i will do it, just wondering.

For a temporary solution (like when hunting) rub the top of the barrel with a cake of beeswax or dab on paste wax, but do not rub it in. Leave it rough. It cuts glare. After the hunt, buff it up with a rag.

Charcoal blueing was done during the time period for that gun but I have not seen any records of it done on Trade guns... Your gun could be from the 1750-1760 period or thereabouts but if you were doing a post 1780 impression you may have had your gun browned (aftermarket treatment so to speak) it is mentioned as a type of finish used after that time period, for shooting ball a rear sight is PC and may solve the problem.

see how that works. As for time frame, i am into the Mt. Man era 1830's, so i guess that browning would be ok. I hate to mess up the original finish though, so i guess i will learn to deal with it. It actually isn't to bad unless i fire a number of shots in a hurry, then i get heat waves off the barrel. i put a temporary rear sight on it so i can work up a load. It is easily removed without harming the barrel or the finish. One of todays MODERN MARVELS, Super Glue. Has held up good so far, and i can take it off without damageing the barrel. thanks again for the advise. Take care, and Watch yer backtrail.

Back