• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Numerich barrels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonewolf172

40 Cal
Reaction score
Can anyone give me some insight as to the pros and cons of these barrels? Such as good, bad, accurate, inaccurate

I have a couple of them - better than common grade, very good rifling and both of mine shoot straight!
One of mine is a .58 with a massive 1-3/16" octagon configuration.
The other is an octagon 40 cal.

My wife shot a '63 Springfield with a Numrich barrel for years till it was worn out. As near as I can tell it was every bit as accurate as it now is with the Hoyt reline and as good as my Hoyt relined '61. I have another, a flush plate Whitneyville, with a Numrich barrel and it's deadly and I have set aside a nearly mint '63 Numrich barrel for when I need it. The supply of good Numrich rifle-musket barrels has pretty well dried up but they were held in high regard among skirmishers when they were available. I have a few Numrich round ball barrels for future projects and I expect them to be as good as anything out there. I would feel confident going up against any other barreled gun with a Numrich barrel. Look at the posts on how well their underhammers shoot. We don't hear much about them nowadays because they are not so common anymore.

I built my first rifle with a .45 caliber Numrich barrel in the late 60's. If I remember it's rifling was not as deep as others maybe 0.008" The barrel was easy to load and shot well.

I have found them to be inconsistant, some were very accurate , some not so good.Some had the bores not centered to the O.D. The one thing I found in them was that they were undersized on the bores compared to others. For example my 45 caliber liked a .435 ball and was too tight with a .440.My Hopkin and Allen swivel breech has Numrich barrels and it is very accurate!

Back