• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Numbering your firearms

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JackP

36 Cal.
Reaction score
It's hard to believe it's been this long but almost 48 yrs ago I put together a Kentucky cap lock pistol kit. It' my No# 1. I'm nearing completion of my 54 cal Dickert and it's about time to number it and engrave my name on top of the barrel.
Would it be appropriate to number my rifle No# 2. Maybe some of you number your rifles and pistols separately.

Thanks
Jack

I stamp the number on the underside of the barrel where the barrel and breech mate. That serves as an index should the breech need pulled and to be my count. A number that can be seen on top would be too modern an idea to suit me.

I stamp the number on the underside of the barrel where the barrel and breech mate. That serves as an index should the breech need pulled and to be my count. A number that can be seen on top would be too modern an idea to suit me.
Thanks Phil

Jack

While you are at it you can add your state and drivers license # under the barrel or butt plate somewhere. If it gets stolen it can be traced back to you, even if you move.
What about the last 4 digits of my SS # or would you use the whole number.:dunno:
Thanks for the thoughts on this. I glad I asked. I think my name will go on top as was usual I think and maybe a number on the bottom out of sight.

Thanks
Jack

I have a very small set of numbers, small enough to stamp the edge of a nickle. With these I can hide a number almost anywhere.

I do not sign anything. My logic is that at some point in the future it may be misused. Say some knuckle head loads it with smokeless and kills or hurts himself or another. Better that my name is not on the barrel when the widow sues everyone in sight.

I do not sign anything. My logic is that at some point in the future it may be misused. Say some knuckle head loads it with smokeless and kills or hurts or another. Better that my name is not on the barrel when the widow sues everyone in sight.
That's a good point. I engraved (Chiseled) the first letter of my first name and my complete last name on the barrel. I will never sell it and one of my son's will end up with it in the end.
No number.
Thanks

I sign and date rifles I have made as well as horns I have made. I do not number them. Too much to keep up with. I will initial kits I have assembled, but I do not sign them.

Cory Joe Stewart

It is now a requirement that firearms in UK are given a number before they are proved. It is not illegal to own an unproved gun, but it is illegal to sell it.

I make a small hidden mark with a large random number, as I like to mess with the heads of future historians!

I have a knee jerk reaction to anything resembling a serial number, but perhaps some random series of digits to prove provenance. That way, if it shows up in a pawn shop (and the pawnbroker is dumb enough to allow you to pull the lock plate), you can come back later with the cops and bust him for RSP (receiving stolen property) or, if the widow of Donald Dummy sues everyone in sight, your response in answer to her Interrogatories & Request for Production of Documents will run something like "you can't prove I had anything to do with that rifle, so sod off..." neither confirm nor deny … assumption of risk … and counterclaim for libel, slander, being ugly and allowing you mother to dress you funny.

Engrave 1 of 3 and never build another like it. Give future generations something to ponder.

I do not sign anything. My logic is that at some point in the future it may be misused. Say some knuckle head loads it with smokeless and kills or hurts himself or another. Better that my name is not on the barrel when the widow sues everyone in sight.

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!

I re-read this thread, another thought comes to mind. The cops in my area destroy all guns they acquire, no exceptions. Yes, even valuable antiques or ultra high class sporting arms. They make no effort to track down owners. I hope that is not so elsewhere. So, here in coastal California, there is little point in putting drivers licence or SSN number on the gun. They all get the torch or chop saw.

Latest posts

Back