Number of New Members

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Nutnfancy

40 Cal
Reaction score
If this is in the wrong category mods please move to proper location.

In the past couple weeks I have noticed a large increase in the number of new members to the forum, I counted over 20 in August alone. I haven't been a member here that long so not familiar with numbers of new members in the past for a given time period but just wondering if this is unusual. Maybe folks are looking for something to do to social distance themselves due to the current pandemic? What are your thoughts..............

erhunter

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome aboard Nutnfancy! There is a wealth of info and one heck of a great bunch of people on this forum. I was an online participant for about 1 1/2 years and the experience of the members is second to none. This year I became a "supporting member" for about $20 bucks a year. This money not only helps the forum maintain the site but the help from everyone is priceless! Hopefully you and other people on the forum will join the supporting member after you see what an informative site this is. Again, welcome aboard!

Nutnfancy

40 Cal
Reaction score
I joined the forum back in May and right off noticed there was a kind of community atmosphere here, very similar to the straight razor forum I'm a member of. I have also joined a couple other M/L forums but they don't have the same feel as this one does. Glad to be a member here.

kje54

58 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score

In the past couple weeks I have noticed a large increase in the number of new members to the forum, I counted over 20 in August alone. I haven't been a member here that long so not familiar with numbers of new members in the past for a given time period but just wondering if this is unusual. Maybe folks are looking for something to do to social distance themselves due to the current pandemic? What are your thoughts..............
I'm not sure about the others but I was here under another nic back in 2013 (I think), left for a number of years dealing with real life, stopped by in 2018 to say hi then was gone until recently. I had forgotten my old password so started a new account, Angie resurrected my old account and was going to merge the two but I assume she's been too busy to do that yet.
Like you I think it does have at least a little to do with people finding outlets due to cabin fever.

GtownGeorge

32 Cal
Reaction score
I joined in late June or early July. My Traditions Kentucky Pistol kit was my covid project. Now I am looking for a rifle project. Didn't realize how much fun muzzle loading would be. I am retired and shoot once a week. I have both double and single action revolvers, a 1911 and semi auto, bolt action and lever action rifles. My Kentucky pistol is joining the rotation.

Zonie

MLF Supporter
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score

I don't know how many new members we get per month but in just the last couple of days we've had 12 new people join the forum.

At this very moment, we have 118 active members on the forum looking at things and 565 guests are here too. With that many guests looking at things I'm not surprised that some of them take the time to join us.

oldwood

50 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I've been involved in muzzleloading since 1970 or there abouts. Being a participant in this forum has changed my thinking on a number of m/l issues. Thanks to everyone and thanks to the Forum........oldwood

Reaction score
I had been a reader for years. I have been thinking of building a muzzleloader for a while. For whatever reason, this was the time I chose to start. I don't plan on building it until the winter. I wouldn't say Covid had any real impact on me. Actually what happened last year to me had a far bigger impact than anything that has happened so far this year. 2020 has been a cake walk by comparison.

Grumpa

58 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Been a muzzleloader since 1975. Been here since 2012. Have learned a lot more here than I knew before, and made good friends.
You are all most welcome to the Forum. We are glad to have you here.

Richard/Grumpa

Rick65

32 Cal
Reaction score
I've been shooting muzzleloaders off and on since I was a teenager. My interests vary over time (AR, long range, revolver, etc.) but I always come back. Lately I discovered that you don't need an FFL to ship these arms directly to a home address. I'm actually overseas right now, so I can't buy FFL guns (can't even shoot at all over here), which is a real downer, but I CAN buy muzzleloaders and ship them to a friend to hold for me until I come home. Back in the saddle!

oldwood

50 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Felt............I just got here in June. I left a major m/l organization because I am old and can't shoot there any more , just too far away . The only thing left there was the magazine and it became loaded w/advertising. I can get on to the forum and enjoy other folks ideas as well as interactive conversation. What a novel concept. Look Felt , go shooting for a day and reevaluate you're thoughts and enjoy this. oldwood

Feltwad

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Felt............I just got here in June. I left a major m/l organization because I am old and can't shoot there any more , just too far away . The only thing left there was the magazine and it became loaded w/advertising. I can get on to the forum and enjoy other folks ideas as well as interactive conversation. What a novel concept. Look Felt , go shooting for a day and reevaluate you're thoughts and enjoy this. oldwood
Well I do agree that a lot of organisation are over run with advertising has for shooting I am still active provide I have transport onto the job .As advancing years like yourself and a original shotgun man not only shooting and wildfowling but also restoration these forums are few and more for the repros .
Feltwad

Lippy984

40 Cal
Reaction score
I believe I joined this past winter, and it has certainly re-kindled my passion for guns. I’m normally NOT a forum guy. I work on Harley’s for a living and always found that there is so much misleading b.s. on a lot of forums...
Not this one. This one is extremely informative, and people seem very nice.

toot

32 Cal.
Reaction score

no not at all, it is because this is a PREMIER SITE, that is why. the word is out that this is a great site with a great bunch of helpful members, that is it in a nut shell!!

oldwood

50 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Felt.........You and I have a sort of parallel universe. My father got me started in competition trap shooting @ the age of 14. At 16 , I placed 4th in the Pa. state championship Junior level. Forced to lay off shooting a couple years due to tech. college @18. Took an electrical eng. job and had to move to central Pa. and lost all my shooting friends . Started over and won a local trapshooting season championship . Being young back then and thinking I needed a change , moved on to muzzleloading , and have not looked back. Since the mid 1970's , have hunted w/ m/l shotguns and smooth muskets , and finally m/l rifles. Shot m/l paper and metal target competition w/ much enjoyment. Too old to do that stuff any more , so still hunt m/l deer and build m/l guns. Have restored about 12 originals, and if i get motivated , have a couple more to fix. All I can say to you is , keep busy w/guns , try to shoot frequently , stay on the forum........oldwood

rmann

32 Cal
Reaction score
I sure am not parallel.... Never touched a muzzleloader or even directly saw one until March of this year. And I am 63! So it is all new and interesting, and the forum so helpful. I just asked one question and was overwhelmed with helpful, practical advice. I had to join, just to share a little part in support. I'm mainly quiet in the background, but reading much with appreciation.

gabedard

40 Cal
Reaction score
When I joined some years ago the forums were interesting but it has now gone downhill especially this last year .
Feltwad
As a old (new member ) I appreciate your insight and comments.
Thank you
Glenn

FishDFly

69 Cal.
Reaction score
When I joined some years ago the forums were interesting but it has now gone downhill especially this last year .
Feltwad
In what way do you feel this?

I have been reading here since 2004 and things have gone down hill.

When Claude had the Forum, things were more tightly run. His toleration for arguing and fussing was minimal, it seems like there is a lot more disagreement now., some to the point of personal attacks.

I wandered over to see what the other forum is like. They discuss Traditional M/L subjects and in the classifieds there are traditional items are for sale. They are more polite there than here.

I also found some members from here who quit posting but, they are over there posting.