• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Number 11 cap shortage?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We tried those people and got some bad vibes. First off they would not take PayPal nor a credit card. Then when asking them questions, we got some run-around answers. The next day they kept contacting us trying to get us to purchase items from them. Not bad mouthing them and they may be legit, but considering the above, we decided not to do business with them.
Thanks for that info. Semper Fi.

Dude... there are HUGE fines for things like that... not to mention possible jail time. You think that we are the only ones who can read this? Be careful what you post... unless you want a loud knock at your door that you don't want to answer.
I didn't say I would do it or have done it. I just don't understand why it is a big deal to ship black powder or smokeless powder. If there is a fire you need to get out of the fire or you will get burned. The delivery worker doesn't know whether he is carrying toilet paper or a stick of dynamite. Every package should be treated as such with the proper precautions. Think about if a fed ex or ups truck caught on fire. Would you even see a difference in the inferno when the 2 pounds of black powder caught fire or would it be eclipsed by the gas tank exploding. Everything involves risk. The HAZMAT regulations are just another way to tax the shooting community. I also think it is a step further into surveilling what everyone buys and sells. Fed Ex started requiring a photo ID to accept powder deliveries. Just another step in the wrong direction for us law abiding citizens.

I didn't say I would do it or have done it. I just don't understand why it is a big deal to ship black powder or smokeless powder. If there is a fire you need to get out of the fire or you will get burned. The delivery worker doesn't know whether he is carrying toilet paper or a stick of dynamite. Every package should be treated as such with the proper precautions. Think about if a fed ex or ups truck caught on fire. Would you even see a difference in the inferno when the 2 pounds of black powder caught fire or would it be eclipsed by the gas tank exploding. Everything involves risk. The HAZMAT regulations are just another way to tax the shooting community. I also think it is a step further into surveilling what everyone buys and sells. Fed Ex started requiring a photo ID to accept powder deliveries. Just another step in the wrong direction for us law abiding citizens.
Well actually ylou DID, depending upon interpretation: "Ship all day to friends in the conus." If I were an ATF official, I might choose to interpret that as "I ship all day to friends in the conus."

I don't like HAZMAT fees any more than you do, but I DO understand why certain things are considered hazardous materials. Rools is da rools and posting something that would bring unwelcome attention to oneself is a bit more risk than I would like to assume.

Now, this is still America and this forum is still a relatively free speech medium, so you can post whatever you want so long as the Mighty Moderators allow it. That said, I would respectfully suggest that in matters of shipping hazardous materials or suggesting that others could do so, discretion is the better part of valor, if The Bard will forgive me.

Well actually ylou DID, depending upon interpretation: "Ship all day to friends in the conus." If I were an ATF official, I might choose to interpret that as "I ship all day to friends in the conus."

I don't like HAZMAT fees any more than you do, but I DO understand why certain things are considered hazardous materials. Rools is da rools and posting something that would bring unwelcome attention to oneself is a bit more risk than I would like to assume.

Now, this is still America and this forum is still a relatively free speech medium, so you can post whatever you want so long as the Mighty Moderators allow it. That said, I would respectfully suggest that in matters of shipping hazardous materials or suggesting that others could do so, discretion is the better part of valor, if The Bard will forgive me.
Guilty until proven innocent and regulation that we didn't vote on. Man I am glad we are free! lol

The government does not charge the HAZMAT fees. The shipping companies do. If I drive down to the Powder Valley warehouse to pick up my powder, WALLAH no HAZMAT fees. Order it and have them ship it 90 miles? HAZMAT fees.....The only way they get away with it is they have monopolies on shipping. There are really only 3 companies doing all the shipping in almost the entire world. Ok I'm done I promise!

https://www.hazmatuniversity.com/ne...llect,improving hazmat safety and compliance.

I went into 'Dunham's Sporting Goods' a few days ago. They had an entire shelf full. The clerk said they're finally getting a steady supply of caps. Semper Fi.
I checked their web site and show no inventory in any store. Where is this one located?
Thanks for the heads up, just placed an order for the #11s. Just ordered #10 caps from Natchez two weeks ago, but they were out of #11. When these come in I'll be set for the near
Thanks for the heads up, just placed an order for the #11s. Just ordered #10 caps from Natchez two weeks ago, but they were out of #11. When these come in I'll be set for the near future.
thanks!! Just placed an order…they should give you a discount for advertising….

When illegal drugs go bad it won’t bring a plane down. Pay or not. I’ll sleep at night with no problem. I don’t like it either. It’s not worth the hassle of trying to save $20
If the pilot is taking the illegal drugs it can sure bring down the plane! 🤣😉

The government does not charge the HAZMAT fees. The shipping companies do. If I drive down to the Powder Valley warehouse to pick up my powder, WALLAH no HAZMAT fees. Order it and have them ship it 90 miles? HAZMAT fees.....The only way they get away with it is they have monopolies on shipping. There are really only 3 companies doing all the shipping in almost the entire world. Ok I'm done I promise!

https://www.hazmatuniversity.com/ne...llect,improving hazmat safety and compliance.
I refer those in doubt back to Claude Mathis original post on Black Powder. All the answers to any question,s are all there. In summary you can have up to 50 pounds of commercially manufactured powder for sporting and or cultural display,s. Going outside the guidelines put,s one at a great Personal risk. Not worth the risk. Especially when you can just buy it. Just my 2 cents.

The delivery worker doesn't know whether he is carrying toilet paper or a stick of dynamite.
Actually, they do. Hazmat shipping requires good, old fashioned paper shipping sheets regardless of the delivery service’s use of electronic systems.

Think about if a fed ex or ups truck caught on fire. Would you even see a difference in the inferno when the 2 pounds of black powder caught fire or would it be eclipsed by the gas tank exploding.
Never rolled up on fully-involved delivery trucks, have you? Definitely a difference between the hazardous cargo ”cooking off”, and diesel fuel spilling from the tank.

I refer those in doubt back to Claude Mathis original post on Black Powder. All the answers to any question,s are all there. In summary you can have up to 50 pounds of commercially manufactured powder for sporting and or cultural display,s. Going outside the guidelines put,s one at a great Personal risk. Not worth the risk. Especially when you can just buy it. Just my 2 cents.

Putting one at great risk.........If shipping large quantities of BP, then perhaps yes. In terms of storing black powder, if one keeps only so much in one area, then it would not be putting one at great risk. No worse than storing gasoline in cans, propane tanks under outside grills, large propane tanks in peoples yards that holds hundreds gallons of LPG, nor driving with a gas tank that's is mounted under cars that are subject to collision.

ML caps, I have my doubts as to the actual HM of them during shipping unless there are very large quantities of them being shipped.

We do need protection in certain areas, but for a tin or two of ML caps is an overreach.

Never rolled up on fully-involved delivery trucks, have you? Definitely a difference between the hazardous cargo ”cooking off”, and diesel fuel spilling from the tank.
Not going to happen with only a few ML caps unless there's a very large quantity of them onboard.

Now, for the record. Just got some caps in the mail yesterday. UPS, a lager box with a black and white sticker on it but only on one side...........the front. Opened box and there was a large padded envelope inside. Open envelope and caps were in a smaller box........the box they were shipped to the store in. I would reckon that would suffice but I can promise you that it would not help much, if any, if there was a fire onboard the delivery truck. I haven't looked up that small black and white sticker yet but I can see where IF the box was laying with those stickers facing up, then someone might take use caution in the truck. I have my doubts as to personnel in the processing facilities. And again, that box would have to be facing in one direction only before that sticker could even be seen.

EDIT:

I just looked up that black and white sticker. It indicates some form of special shipping regulated by the CFR. So indeed, that sticker would be basically useless unless the box was facing upward, or unless there was a sticker on all sides.

https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub5...ust be durable, legible, and readily visible.

Last edited:
So if you stay in a burning delivery vehicle you are already burned to a crisp by the time the powder or caps finally get ignited. What safety protocol is there to exercise besides getting out of a burning vehicle and not entering a burning vehicle? Do they have to put it in some kind of special facility at the hubs or do they just dropkick it around like all the other packages? 😂

A bunch of us have bought cap making kits. The only ones I’ve seen commercially available have been online from scammers (take you payment and never deliver) and price-gougers (Charging the 10x normal prices).
Good morning, do you have a link or a web address for these kits please?! I would like to start making my own as well. Seen some online, just looking for one that someone has used and recommends. Thank you!

Wowser, I've been looking for some #11 caps but not having any luck. Anyone happen to know where they can be had?
Not only are #11 caps hard to find but musket caps are also almost unavailable in my area, but I found some locally. I converteted my sidelock TC Gray Hawk over from #11 to musket caps and glad I did. The dealer had 2000 availaible and I bought 300. And get this, for only $5.00 a tin of 100ea. Unbelievable!

Last edited:
just think about this, in America, the greatest country in the world! we are scrounging around for what should be common items! and wringing our hands with glee when we are thrown a few baubles like we have won a great prize! it really makes me sick! sick to think a short couple of years ago we were on the path to true freedom and real independence when our republic was hijacked and flat out stolen! and now this is what we are becoming! but like an installed demented low IQ mental midget puppet once said, expect less,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back