• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Number 11 cap shortage?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would love a 209 adapter that would let you place primers in like a standard nipple , I don't know how inlines do it , I don't have one

I do know that ignition is instantaneous and my CS Richmond shoots like a laser with 209 ignition and 777

I basically feel like I'm one step away from just having my machinist/gunmaker/gunsmith guy take a Pedersoli 1861 and cut it into a correct repro of a .58 Berdan rifle that I can just load brass cases with BP, .580 Minies and prime with 209s . But we're 1 or 2 years past the scope of this forum so I won't elaborate
I don’t know why an adapter needs to have a cap… if the orifice is properly sized, maybe .022“ lined with platinum or so, back pressure wouldn’t (shouldn’t?) be any issue.

Last edited:
I don’t know why an adapter needs to have a cap… if the orifice is properly sized, maybe .022“ lined with platinum or so, back pressure wouldn’t be any issue.
It's probably to both keep it weatherproof and also a housing for the firing pin .

Be careful fellas... there are scams everywhere!

This is one I just encountered. Rio #209 Shotshell Primers - 100 Count - Powders Valley

looks an awful lot like powdervalley.com but it’s probably a financial arm of the Russian or Chinese governments…
Legit sources have the Cheddites for as low as $75 per 1000, the reviews on them are good.

Musket caps are good, and the Rios aren't even expensive but my niche use of the 209's for two of my rifles that are now going to just use 209's, has me looking for them.

On-Line. View attachment 188630 Has percussion caps in stock. 68$ 1000, 20$ shipping. Drawback is you have to spent 100$ including the caps to check out. The shipping does not count towards the 100$. Semper Fi.

We tried those people and got some bad vibes. First off they would not take PayPal nor a credit card. Then when asking them questions, we got some run-around answers. The next day they kept contacting us trying to get us to purchase items from them. Not bad mouthing them and they may be legit, but considering the above, we decided not to do business with them.

I guess I need to look into the 209 primer adaptor for an option. I just assumed that would be a pita also. A shotshell primer is basically a pistol primer in a stamped cup.

There is actually another reason why I personally want to find another option. Percussion caps are made like trash compared to a modern primer. I have personally never had a modern primer not go bang. In about every tin of caps there is usually one that the priming compound has fallen out.

If they are going to be rare and expensive, I will engineer or buy a better option. Kind of stuck with them for pistols but if push comes to shove then Kirst it it!

I don't have any trouble finding primers generally. Large rifle has been an exception. If they are the same price I would rather get the reliable option. Percussion caps really should be like $2 a tin.
Good luck finding large pistol primers and or factory. 45 lc ammo

These are the kind of sites that only take payment through Zelle

I didn't know Rio/Schuetzen made 209 primers, they're probably nice and hot
I've been using Rio shotshells for years in competition and hunting, some of the cleanest I've ever used. Rio makes all of their components in-house, including primers.

Rio Ammo Mfg. Spain

From Rio's site

OUR OWN MANUFACTURE FROM SCRATCH TO FINISH​

We do not rely on legions of third-party suppliers for our cartridge components. In our vertically integrated manufacturing facilities, we produce all of our own, brass, primers, hulls, powders, shot and wads. This makes us far less reliant on supply chain issues than our competition. It also guarantees a higher level of quality control throughout of product range.

Bag up your black powder in coffee bags and pack the caps in mint tins. Problem solved. Ship all day to friends in the conus. I don't understand why anyone ever complied to that hazmat manure. Even on the industrial scale it is kind of a joke. What they are concerned about and not concerned about is surprising.
Dude... there are HUGE fines for things like that... not to mention possible jail time. You think that we are the only ones who can read this? Be careful what you post... unless you want a loud knock at your door that you don't want to answer.

This is probably the time to look for them as the deer hunting seasons are mostly over and the stores will be selling whatever they have left from the pre-season stock-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back