• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Number 11 cap shortage?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do have a few 209's that I've been sitting on for a few years. If I can find a nipple system for my New Englander that would be a good option. I already have one for the Hawken in the house, but I don't shoot that one. Its belongs to my wife and she said I can't play with it.
The problem I see with the 209 set ups is that they are too high.

Sometimes it puts the nipple/hammer angle out of alignment.

And the taller the 209 system is, the less the hammer gets to travel. Less travel means the hammer is no longer picking up speed. Less speed means less force applied to the primer.

The problem I see with the 209 set ups is that they are too high.

Sometimes it puts the nipple/hammer angle out of alignment.

And the taller the 209 system is, the less the hammer gets to travel. Less travel means the hammer is no longer picking up speed. Less speed means less force applied to the primer.
That's why I was considering the rifle primers. I need to try it to even see if it would work. My idea was to leave them sticking up slightly so the hammer wouldn't need modified and have a slot where you could stick some kind of pick in there to pop them out. It might not work at all but thought it would be worth a try.

I’ve found a source locally for #11 caps. I bought two tins yesterday for $16 each (one CCI, one Remington), and it makes sense that the shipping complications is what jacks the price uo to the point of sellers just not selling.

I’ve found a source locally for #11 caps. I bought two tins yesterday for $16 each (one CCI, one Remington), and it makes sense that the shipping complications is what jacks the price uo to the point of sellers just not selling.
Indeed. If some can be had somewhat locally then it could be to advantage to pay more for them. However, one also needs to factor in the price of fuel, if it calls for a longer road trip. Just have to weight it out as to HazMat shipping and/or local prices opposed to to fuel prices.

What I don’t know is the cost of the hazmat shipping, so I’m sorta in the dark on that end.
94C920B3-44CB-4B71-9646-69AC1F794051.jpeg

What I don’t know is the cost of the hazmat shipping, so I’m sorta in the dark on that end.
View attachment 187843
Indeed, I'm down to about as many full tins of caps as you are. Thought I had more but noticed some tins didn't have many in them.

HazMat shipping will vary depending on location. And none of it is cheap.

Last edited:
I still look for caps at every store that might carry caps and buy them when available, however, the 22lr cap maker has been the main source of caps for the Last year. I tend to go through a couple hrs. Making caps for what I use in two months time. I find it time and piece of mind well spent not being frantic worrying about empty shelves.

Last edited:
Indeed, I'm down to about as many full tins of caps as you are. Thought I had more but noticed some tins didn't have many in them.

HazMat shipping will vary depending on location. And none of it is cheap.
This is posted at Graf & Sons site:

Shipping: One flat fee of $12.95 per online order.
Exclusions apply. Click for details.
$23.50 hazardous materials fee applies.

I really gotta get out for pleasure drives AWAY from the big-city areas. The Wally's near Philly have nothing resembling percussion caps or anything else interesting. You gotta get out to the more "countryfied" areas where deer hunting and sport shooting is king! Do all or many of the Tractor Supply places sell unmentionables or BP supplies? Some of you guys in other States name stores I've never heard of! Good luck to all.

I really gotta get out for pleasure drives AWAY from the big-city areas. The Wally's near Philly have nothing resembling percussion caps or anything else interesting. You gotta get out to the more "countryfied" areas where deer hunting and sport shooting is king! Do all or many of the Tractor Supply places sell unmentionables or BP supplies? Some of you guys in other States name stores I've never heard of! Good luck to all.
Tractor Supply does not, but some Atwoods stores do

Just came from Scheels in Appleton, WI. They seem to have a good supply of CCI #11 caps. Also had some .490 round balls, Pyrodex and Triple 7. No black powder though. Fleet Farm East in Green Bay, WI had a few CCI #11 caps. Prices for caps range from $12.00 to $14.00 per hundred. Guess maybe this is the Biden version of "shock and awe"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back