• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Number 11 cap shortage?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My take on the “tough on new guys just getting started”, and “damn hoarders”: Technically, I’m both. I’ve got a percussion pistol kit, and a flintlock rifle kit, that I’m working on. Reading on the forums last year about BP and #11 cap shortages, when I saw an opportunity to load up, I did. Case of BP, caps, and cap kit with compound. I want to be able to shoot when I want to shoot. When I’m at a range and a fellow ̶A̶d̶d̶i̶c̶t̶ ̶ enthusiast is lacking BP or caps, then I‘ve got them to give away. That way we all play and have fun. 🤷🏻‍♂️

The new guy is really going to need some help from all of us.....I guess this is one of the worst time to get in to just about any sport or hobby....damned shame.
I can find about anything these days to support my hobbies. Muscle car, jeeps, side by side, firearms, ammo, etc. Just can't seem to find BP and #11's for my new hobby.

I can find about anything these days to support my hobbies. Muscle car, jeeps, side by side, firearms, ammo, etc. Just can't seem to find BP and #11's for my new hobby.
I like muscle cars as well and when I can't find a part I try making them . BP and caps are both easy to make. There's a lot of info on the net. Do some research, read up on it. You can make quality BP for around 2$ a pound.

I like muscle cars as well and when I can't find a part I try making them . BP and caps are both easy to make. There's a lot of info on the net. Do some research, read up on it. You can make quality BP for around 2$ a pound.
I have looked into it. Just hard to make the time with so many other hobbies and it's starting to get warm out. I think I will give the cap making a try. I like to tinker, but sometimes there is no end to it. I tend to go down the rabbit hole!

My next project. That way, I’ll ‘plink’ with the homebrew, and save the “good stuff” for range/hunting/gifting. That way I don’t end up in hot water by the alphabet soup…

That's true about everything, to an extent. Some people save all their money just to stock up on items. Sometimes that's their only hobby.
Not meaning that in a bad way. I'm stocked up on food, rice, beans, freeze dried food, 5.56 and 7.62x39 ammo, guns, gas, kerosene, oil, medical, antibiotics, generators, etc. Just some people are just in to one hobby and only buy a few thing in bulk when they have the chance. We are all free to buy whatever we want.

Not meaning that in a bad way. I'm stocked up on food, rice, beans, freeze dried food, 5.56 and 7.62x39 ammo, guns, gas, kerosene, oil, medical, antibiotics, generators, etc. Just some people are just in to one hobby and only buy a few thing in bulk when they have the chance. We are all free to buy whatever we want.
Never let known what supplies you have, especially when it comes to firearms and ammo.

If you're patient and diligent, the retailers will basically give you an excuse to stock up......Midway decided out of the blue to sell all the common revolver round ball sizes for about 6 bucks per box......so guess what , I hit em for 1000 .454 and 2000 .375 . For $70 per 1000 it's like you're asking me to hoard

When I see caps at my local place, I buy 5 or 6 tins even if I have a bunch already. Call me a hoarder , call me selfish, oh well......they are for sale and I have money. If it ain't my cash they'll take someone else's.

I've given people I know caps before, I believe in paying it forward. Not one person on this Earth "needs" percussion caps to survive . Really no one does. If you're a Felon or live in Uruguay or some place where cut down P53s are still first line weapons , you're probably better off with a compound bow anyway if you need to harvest meat. People will act like buying 2000 caps takes formula out of the mouths of babies or something

My local dealer had 10 tins of Remington #10 , I bought em all. I was present , with American dollars. And I actually use them to shoot. If I "saved some for the next guy" they'd probably be on GunBroker for $50 per tin right now rather than popped , laying in the dirt at my range.

My take on the “tough on new guys just getting started”, and “damn hoarders”: Technically, I’m both. I’ve got a percussion pistol kit, and a flintlock rifle kit, that I’m working on. Reading on the forums last year about BP and #11 cap shortages, when I saw an opportunity to load up, I did. Case of BP, caps, and cap kit with compound. I want to be able to shoot when I want to shoot. When I’m at a range and a fellow ̶A̶d̶d̶i̶c̶t̶ ̶ enthusiast is lacking BP or caps, then I‘ve got them to give away. That way we all play and have fun. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Last year I was at the range and a guy a few tables down had this great smelling cigar.

I wanted one but didn't have any money on me.

He accepted some of my shooting supplies as payment for a cigar.

A great day.

Hoarding: verb.
The act of scurrying around the woods stuffing your cheeks full of ammo, then scurry back to your den where you spit it all out into your stash pile and scurry back into the woods for more.
Come hard times you stretch out on top of your hoard and relax knowing your not going to starve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back