• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Now what?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LR and RR are Longrifle and ramrod. I started out building from a blank. I inlet my barrels with hand chisels. It isn't hard. One day in the shop to inlet a barrel. Not really a long day either. I say the key to really enjoying building is find a rifle you're in love with and build it. I just blow up pics on my computer using the length of pull as a gauge for dimensions. I normally just trace em' out with a 14" LOP even though they're probably not quite that long. That way I have a little extra wood to shape after I cut the profile. Building a gun is a step by step process....don't worry about the next step too much til the one you're working on is done.

Last edited:
W/ my 4 first builds I did the bbl inletting and the RR grooves and holes but thereafter sent that work to Fred Miller and then to Dave Rase. If I had kept these LRs I probably would have done it , but all were sold and the cost was recouped.

I agree that starting w/ a blank is easier because all the parts sets I've built had mistakes....won't name the suppliers. Some of the mistakes were minor but one precarve had more than 3 fixable mistakes and some were major like having the lock inlet in the wrong location....this precarve was replaced.

Have never worked from a drawing although for the BCs, a template of an original Shuler buttstock is used. The Lancaster stocks built from blanks are drawn freehand,.....Fred

LR = Long Rifle, RR = Ramrod.
I'm 75, started building ML's about 4 years back, and doing OK, if a bit slow at times. I previously built many suppository rifles and shotguns, these ML's are a lot more fun.
Ryan at Muzzle Loader's Building Supply, Aberdeen, Idaho, has some pretty good pre-carved kits. He is also very helpful on the phone, as is his partner, Terry Jo.
Pecatonica has some really good wood, some in pre carves. And most of us provide assistance, hints, tips, and guidance free of charge. Big friendly community of sulfur smoke lovers.

Back