• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

November 2021 Postal Match

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GaryPL and I shot the postal match before we left the club today. I used my Crockett .32 caliber. This was my second time out with that rifle and, while the gun will shoot, this was not one of my better days. And my left hand shooting was just pitiful. GaryPL did much better and he had to shoot his flintlock left handed! It was a sunny but windy and cool Georgia fall day. Some days are better than others and this was one of those better days.

Traditions Crockett .32 cal
20 grains of Goex FFFG
Hornady .310 roundball
.013 pillow ticking patch lubed with Ballistol
Remington # 11 caps

Attachments

• November postel match  Crockett 32.jpg
    November postel match Crockett 32.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 133
Well this was fun! Shot the match with JakeGA today - first time I have taken my flintlock out for many months and I will have to do this more often! Shooting left handed was tough, not because of the flintlock but I can't see too well in my left eye - I was happy to keep the shots on the paper!

.40 Cal Flintlock made by me in 1981, Douglas 1:48 barrel, Siler lock
45 Gr Goex 3F
.400 diameter self-cast ball
.015 pillow ticking lubed with Ballistol/water mixture that I use to clean rifle

Looking forward to doing this again!

Nov 2021 Postal Match Target.jpg

Ok, boys, read'em and weep (I did).
Nov 2021 shoot.jpg

Shot with a TC Hawken 1 in 48 twist, with a TC peep sight, 50 cal, +/- 63 grains of 3FG, 179gr PRB, not sure what the patch thickness is. Weather was gorgeous, about 56 degrees, with a breeze. The third ball on the left hand target hit 3" to the left of the paper. I usually practice at 50yds before the season starts with mixed results on a paper plate, so I thought 25 would be somewhat easy, boy was I wrong about that. Holding the target in your hand it looks large but when you place it out to 25, those turkeys sure do shrink up. Had a lot of fun doing this, an eye opener, and I plan to keep going

Looks like I am pistol only this month.
.45 T/C Patriot pillow tick .440 RB 30 G of 3F and then 30 G of 777.
Ran out of BP while at range. Used 777 to finish.
Two complete whiffs, one right and one left. Otherwise 4 hits.
Shooting left handed had me pulling the trigger on the left and supporting the pistol with my left and right. Same thing only in reverse for the right hand target.

005.jpg

Looks like I am pistol only this month.
.45 T/C Patriot pillow tick .440 RB 30 G of 3F and then 30 G of 777.
Ran out of BP while at range. Used 777 to finish.
Two complete whiffs, one right and one left. Otherwise 4 hits.
Shooting left handed had me pulling the trigger on the left and supporting the pistol with my left and right. Same thing only in reverse for the right hand target.

View attachment 106167
Ya know, I would take that pistol off your hands so you would have more time to shoot rifle. 😄

No, I’m not a lefty… musta tried harder, a LOT harder ;-)

TotW Jim Bridger Hawken
.54 GM 36” bbl tapered 1 1/8” to 1” (Heavy!!)
50 gn Swiss 1 1/2, .535” ball, .018” patch
RWS 1075 caps
(Super Secret Canadian patch lube recipe)

View attachment 106307
Well, you’re going to need to share the secret. 😃

I'm really enjoying seeing the results of this one guys! Unfortunately I didn't get to participate this time around due to weather, work, and the holidays, I still plan to shoot this target for fun in the future though and will be sure to post my results!

I'm really enjoying seeing the results of this one guys! Unfortunately I didn't get to participate this time around due to weather, work, and the holidays, I still plan to shoot this target for fun in the future though and will be sure to post my results!
Who won?

Good evening everyone. I have been having some computer difficulties lately, sorry for the delay in getting the November match results posted.

1. Maven- 37 points, GPR .50cal, .490 ball
.018 patch, ballistol 1:6 w/ water

2. Jake GA- 32 points, Crockett. 32, 20g ffg,
.310 ball, .013 patch

3. Bcayton- 30pts

4. Neesmuk- 28pts, SPECIAL MENTION!
Ball on Ball on right turkey!
TC Hawken .54, .530 Ball
.015 patch, 30gr 3f goes

5. 11th corps- 27pts, 30gr 777, .440 Ball
Bore butter

6. MSmith- 22pts TC Hawken .50, 50g ffg
.015 patch, .495 Ball

7. Monk- 19pts, TC Hawken, peep sight
.490 Ball, 63gr fffg

Thanks for shooting everyone!

Chris

Thanks for running this, Chris! And yes, I forgot all about that turkey and am surprised I did so well, since the competition is rather stiff!. Btw, I guess monkeying with the GPR, e.g., swapping wedges really helps. This month' GPR hints: try a .495" RB + thinner patch and wrap maybe wrap the wedges and bbl. tang in heavy teflon (for gas lines), just to keep things tight.

Congratulations all around, as it was a pleasure to shoot with you guys!

Back