• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

November 2020 Postal Match - Tic Tac Toe

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not much of a pistol guy, but I'm good with the 15 yard range for pistol targets, especially with the colder months coming for our more northern friends.

Our range will close at dusk on Saturday, Ames for deer/bear (CF rifle/pistol season) since some of our members hunt the property. Looks like I won't be entering the November frolic either, but I do like the idea of a BP pistol @ 15 yd.

Shot both rifle an pistol this month.

I did notice something yesterday while shooting pistol. It's a T/C Patriot percussion shooting r/b's. I was using 777 (I save my Real BP for my flintlocks, since its almost impossible to find around here and I have to mail order it). I took the 5 shots, but I noticed shots 3 &5 had significantly less recoil and sound then 1,2, and 4. All loads were the same-30 grains of FFF. Using the same CCI caps. Anyone else notice this in their shooting?

As of Wednesday November 25 I have received targets from the following participants:

Bledfor Days
cankeney - rifle & pistol
Flinter 1977
Richard Dittman
russellshaffer - rifle & pistol
Squarebore
Sven205 - Pistol

The month is coming to a quick close but there is still a long weekend, for most, to still print, color, shoot and send your target by Monday. Happy Thanksgiving!!

Shot both rifle an pistol this month.

I did notice something yesterday while shooting pistol. It's a T/C Patriot percussion shooting r/b's. I was using 777 (I save my Real BP for my flintlocks, since its almost impossible to find around here and I have to mail order it). I took the 5 shots, but I noticed shots 3 &5 had significantly less recoil and sound then 1,2, and 4. All loads were the same-30 grains of FFF. Using the same CCI caps. Anyone else notice this in their shooting?
Is there any chance that your patch lube was a little wet? I had some strange squib loads on a trail walk last year and decided that my patches were way too wet. It turned out that there was nothing at all wrong with my substitute powder.

Is there any chance that your patch lube was a little wet? I had some strange squib loads on a trail walk last year and decided that my patches were way too wet. It turned out that there was nothing at all wrong with my substitute powder.

Don't think they were wet. I did lay the Pistol down after dropping powder and then before seating the ball/patch. Maybe some powder did not get down the bore under the patch ball while seating? I did not see any unburned powder on the table.

Make sure all the powder comes out of your powder measure. Common problem to have 1/2 or so of the powder stick in the measure and not dump down the barrel. Depending on your lube too much is not good. Can dampen your powder but not a noticible difference in recoil unless you pour it down the barrel, but will show up on the point of impact. It will also clog up the ignition pathway resulting in unreliable ignition.

November Tic-Tac-Toe Final Results

We had 11 shooters participate in the November shoot. Like most targets I shot it prior to posting it as the monthly shoot. It looked a lot easier when I was making it than it was when it came time to actually squeeze the trigger. I think I scored 5.

I was pleasantly surprised to see a perfect score of 20 one evening on social media when Silent Walker posted his target on a MeWe Group. But then while I was opening envelopes to score targets what did I find? Another perfect score! That’s right, we have a tie for First Place this month! I’m convinced these monthly shoots sharpen our skill. You might also notice that I had a guest helping me score targets. I need all the help I can get. :)

Rifle Top 3 Scores (pictures below)
Member​
Score​
T-T-T​
Silent Walker
20​
2​
Squarebore
20​
2​
Flinter 1977
13​
1​

Rifle All Shooters w/Remarks
Member​
Score​
T-T-T​
Remarks​
11th corps
5​
TOW .40 Poor Boy flint, .390, 40gr
Bledfor Days
8​
TC Seneca .45, .440, 40gr 2f goex, .018 patch
Cankeney
6​
16ga Fowler (Kevin Blevins) .652, 90gr, 2f Goex, foil cartridge, 46’ bbl, Rice?
Flinter 1977
13​
1​
TC .54 Grey Hawk, .530, 90gr Graf 2f, .015 pt w/lard & bees wax
Josephg
8​
.38 Original Old Picket rifle, 15 gr 3f, .010 spit patch, peep sight
Professor flintlock
7​
32, Vincent – flint ,32 gr 3f, .319, beeswax, tallow & bear oil lube. Green Mtn. bbl, peep sight non-adjustable
Richard Dittman
5​
Russellshaffer
4​
Juker .45, .433 ball, 50gr Black MZ
Squarebore
20​
2​
.36, .350, 35GR 3F, .018 PT
Silent Walker
20​
2​
.54, 50gr.

Pistol All Shooters w/Remarks
Member​
Score​
T-T-T​
Remarks​
11th corps
4​
TC .45 Patriot, .440, 30gr 777
Cankeney
5​
British Sea Service Pistol, Indian Mfg, .64, .610 ball, 40gr 3f Goex, no patch, paper wadding, 12” smooth bore
Russellshaffer
6​
CVA .45 KY, .440, 25gr Black MZ
Sven205
6​
Pietta Shooters Model, .44, .461 w/ COW filler, 3f Goex, BW & Crisco lube.

Attachments

• Silent Walker - November.jpg
    Silent Walker - November.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 186
  • Squarebore - November.jpg
    Squarebore - November.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 187
  • Flinter 1977 - November.jpg
    Flinter 1977 - November.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 158
That's an interesting point... @russellshaffer which I tied with did better score-wise with pistol than rifle. Some guys just have a chosen weapon maybe, mine isn't rifle but i'm likely going to try it for the current target (December).

If anyone is like me though it really just involves a little bit of luck.

Last edited:
The reason I didn't use my Pietta Remington Revolver is because of this statement in the rules.

Single patched round ball only. No restrictions on caliber. (a patchless ball may be used if so desired)

Made it clear that muzzleloading pistol was required to shoot pistol, not revolver.

Latest posts

Back