• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Novelty shooting match suggestions please.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK guys n gals, a friend called me today (president of a local ML club) and said his club wanted to spruce up their novelty matches with new ideas. I gave him some I know, but would like to ask this forum for suggestions.
If you would like to suggest some novelty targets here are the parameters: 10 to 50 yard distance, no post cutting matches, nothing that requires rapid loading, and do not suggest anything listed.
Cutting string
Cutting cards
Shooting at double bladed ax to hit target on both sides of blade
Charcoal briquettes
Eggs
Cut a feather
Shooting at tack heads
Candle flame extinguish
Gongs
Hitting a plastic bucket so it stays in the bucket (does not go through both sides)
All suggestions will be appreciated.
Larry

Crackers suspended with string. Spaghetti noodles stuck into two by fours.( un cooked) Clay birds once again hung from strings at 50 yards. Paper targets shot from the white side. Any target shot useing a walking stick as a rest. This drives our guys nuts as they are all strictly offhand shooters. Chunks of two by four with a slot cut in to hold three crackers. Any hits on the block result in no score. Ziti macaroni hung from strings. About anything the demented mind of the guy running the shoot can think of. Yes I’m one of the guys that usually helps run one of our clubs two novelty shoots. BJH

OK guys n gals, a friend called me today (president of a local ML club) and said his club wanted to spruce up their novelty matches with new ideas. I gave him some I know, but would like to ask this forum for suggestions.
If you would like to suggest some novelty targets here are the parameters: 10 to 50 yard distance, no post cutting matches, nothing that requires rapid loading, and do not suggest anything listed.
Cutting string
Cutting cards
Shooting at double bladed ax to hit target on both sides of blade
Charcoal briquettes
Eggs
Cut a feather
Shooting at tack heads
Candle flame extinguish
Gongs
Hitting a plastic bucket so it stays in the bucket (does not go through both sides)
All suggestions will be appreciated.
Larry

At my club, I had a Sgt. York shoot as was shot in the movie where Alvin took all five contests and won a "beef critter". I placed white papers with a sharp V cut into them on wood sprayed black. The closest to the bottom of the v without touching the paper was the winner. The shooters shot from kneeling or prone with a log to support their rifle if prone. Distance was 40 yards.

Bullet (Ball) Poker (5 card stud)
(Note: This is a Slooow game, especially with muzzleloaders, and will take some time for everyone to get their shots off, but allows for a lot of time for everyone to josh, talk smack, laugh with and at each other)

1. Take a deck of cards, shuffle them, and then staple the cards face down onto a large cardboard backer.
2. Choose whatever distance is appropriate - 25, 50, 75 yards for the firing line.
3. Decide what each shot will cost ... either .25 or .50 or $1 per shot and set a small tin or bucket at the firing point for each shooter to deposit their coin at each shot.
4. Determine the shot order for each shooter, either draw lots, or pull a number out of a hat, ect..
5. When the shooter's number is called, they step up, deposit their coin, load and fire their shot. If they hit a card they walk down and retrieve their card. Everyone rotates through taking their shot and retrieving their card, if they hit one. This continues until everyone has had the chance to fire five rounds each.
6. Once everyone has taken their five shots, then they all present their hands to see who has won. Winner takes the pot or is it a 50/50 where 50 percent goes to the winner and 50 percent to the club for targets, ect. Basically, you can break it down the winnings however you want.

The great thing about this is that a shooter can win the pot even if he did not shoot/receive all five cards. We used to do this at an IDPA match that I ran, and we had one guy win with only 2 cards once (two Aces) and another time a guy won with only 3 cards (3 Eights). Imagine all the laughing and hooting that went on when the cards were shown.

Try it, I bet they will love it!

Okay this may get you in trouble.

Take a empty cap tin and fill with tanerite, hang from string. This will get folks attention when it is hit and maybe run you off.

Marshmallows, Life Savers, bow tie macaronis , blow pops , gum drops on golf tees, golf tees themselves.
Freeze pops stapled too a 2x4 frame hanging down, skewers..crossed X style or single horizontal out of a tree or wooden frame.

The Dollar Tree / Dollar General has plenty of cheap targets, biodegradable ones are great ..
But critters and rain are their downfall..

Demented minds think alike… the smaller the better.

Our club hosted a cookie shoot, one of the ladies from the club baked hollow center cookies (think like a Christmas wreath) and the shooters had to put the cookie over the barrel so the shooter was not able to see their front sight, the target was another cookie hanging on a string. Break the cookie = 1 point, cut the string = 5 points. Distance varied 10-25 yards; extremely challenging and fun for all including the spectators. Highest score won…you guessed it, a cookie! 😁

At our shoots, we try to use biodegradable targets. Eggs, Briquettes, crackers, etc. One target is to staple a full suit of cards to one of our target backings, and shoot 5 rounds for the best poker hand. Cards are spaced far enough that no one shot can hit 2 cards.

At our shoots, we try to use biodegradable targets. Eggs, Briquettes, crackers, etc. One target is to staple a full suit of cards to one of our target backings, and shoot 5 rounds for the best poker hand. Cards are spaced far enough that no one shot can hit 2 cards.

50 cards on backer, remaining two in an envelope as hole cards for everyone.

Attachments

• 100_1700.JPG
    100_1700.JPG
    134 KB · Views: 40
  • 100_1698.JPG
    100_1698.JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Well ya got the floor son, what the heck is a rattle box???????
Larry
I think a rattlebox would not be within the OP request because technically it's a timer.
It's a box with a series of angular shelves, a ball is dropped at the top and you have to get your shot off before the ball reaches the bottom.

put a target in the center of a tire. Roll the tire down a hill and try to hit the moving target

You have eliminated just about everything there is? LOL!

I suggest a timed match, you set trap and shoot clay bird at 50 yards,, with hit fastest time wins...
Gary abuts from moorefield WV ran the best novelty match ever!!

Back