• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Not your typical hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
194B0CDB-4FDB-4F9C-BF58-1534C71AE821.jpeg
I was digging through some stuff and found this little 1/2 charge powder measure. It throws 35 gr. and my hunting load was 70. Before we got so many lawyers you could walk bayou and ditch banks on most anyone’s farm and shoot or hunt. I tire of knocking holes in paper pretty quickly so I made up this little measure and used it as my plinking load to use walking and shooting like field archers do stump shooting. I was on a ditch bank where the water level was low leaving silt mudflats all along the way. As I walked I looked for things to shoot at I saw a big bullfrog sitting on the far side of the ditch and thought “I wonder if I can shoot under him in that soft mud and “bark” him”. I pulled it off without a hitch but it knocked him up in the air and a few feet back and I couldn’t get across to him. I took off my tee shirt and tore a strip off (not hard to do because there was a little cloth and a lot of holes). I tied the strip on a bush so when I could cross the ditch I could come back and retrieve my prize. As I went looking for a culvert or a dry spot I saw more frogs. I wasn’t as good of a shot on the next one, hitting him dead center making him a permanent part of the mud bank. I don’t remember how many I shot at but I ended up with about half a dozen good size frogs. Now you will go to jail for setting foot on land without written permission and all the pesticides that the farmers use have all but wiped out the frog population. Finding that little charger knocked the dust off of a memory of a fun “hunt” that I had almost forgotten about

Back