• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Not too happy with Brown Bess purchase, best way to fix?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone send a photo of a Brown Bess from Pedersoli that is of superior quality. I agree on the wood filler faux pas, unacceptable.

I have an early Pedersoli "officers". Prolly decades old. Its wood to metal fit is impeccable, as is the metal finish and lock work. I think the company is in trouble like the Italian Govt is right now. My Italian friends say labor and political issues are really affecting their lives. Sound familiar?

I recently purchased a Pedersoli 20g side X side double flintlock shotgun & the workmanship & finish of this item is fantastic, it would match any of the custom grade guns i have

the gun is rely a piece of manure, for the amount of $ that the guy paid for it. I agree with him on condition. I for one would send it back to the seller!

With all due respect, I think it is time to make and post your decision. The folks on this forum have been more than helpful. Have a good day and shoot straight!

++ on the Lodgewood Mfg. They did a great job on stripping of all markings from a BB lock so I could make a plain COS musket. Definitely stay away from the Indian Muskets. I ONLY recommend those to SAR color guard who only want to carry and not fire a musket (parades, etc). I've had several Pedersolis, both Charleville and BB and found their quality to be excellent. This was obviously and exception.

With all due respect, I think it is time to make and post your decision. The folks on this forum have been more than helpful. Have a good day and shoot straight!

Gotta give the vendor a chance to respond in order to have a “rest of the story....” ;)

Anyway, I called the vendor and I’m getting a prepaid label to return the item. Assuming everything works as it should, I’d call that a fair resolution.

As far as a replacement... I found a particularly fine example on the classifieds that looked a lot better than mine. Win-win.

It is good to hear that this is not typical of Pedersoli offerings. However, the fact that this sort of thing can slip through the crack does give me concern and think that my future purchases of their products will require in person inspection or actual photos of the specimen in question.

I do appreciate everyones input!

no attitude intended. just tried to give an answer. the word jobber is used in every day business. sorry if it came out wrong. and I didn't have my morning coffee. LOL!!

i bought a pedersoli brown bess 10 or more years ago. mine had a fit problem at the tang with a big gap. at first i was told they don't guarantee wood, but upon further inquiries i was told to send it back and they would take care of the issue... i figured it would probably come back worse so i kept it the way it was. i ended up seilling it. i didn't realy like the gun.
ou
tom

you got to remember that ONLY GOD IS PERFECT. these are made by humans. that is the difference.
I really have to say that you are correct, it is made by fallable humans. Humans that knowingly sold a third rate product for a first rate price. That company product does not pass the sniff test.

You're taking a chance anytime you let someone else do it, no matter how much you pay. The only way to be 100% sure is to do it yourself.

You don’t need to restock. It just needs to be refinished.

The lock area is an odd Error, the casted bur obviously needs filing down, that’s an unfortunate error, if you can return the gun you may want to consider that route And exchange for a better one. Again, that;s an unusual mistake.

If you keep the gun, I would do the following

Clean up the lock plate, fill that tiny hold with a mixture of wood glue and walnut saw dust,

the side plate you can peen the edges for a tighter fit.

The thimbles are not very tight, but this is a common mistake, I would coat the inletted area with a slow drying glue with a dark dye or wood dust mixed in.

After stripping down the stock and staining, and I would fill the areas with a 5 min epoxy, waxing the metal parts so they don’t stick.

Smooth over with 220, blend to the surface.

use a a dark walnut dye rather than a stain For the wood until the stock and filled areas are uniform in color.

seal the stock with many coats of permalyn sealer until its hard and shiny.

Workdown the sealer with 320-400 grit paper until the color of the stock is almost a gray color.

Rub down with linseed oil or pure tung oil and your stock should be pretty tight and uniform.

As far as restocking, not worth it. Chances are a precarved stock like from Dunlap, will have some flaws in it that you have to do the same kind of work on.

If you want a perfectly carved stock, You’d want to make that investment right, have a real expert do that work.

there is a good instructional video on midway USA about sealing up stocks, this works great for stocks that have had gaps filled and cracks repaired.

I had an old navy arms bess which I did this to, and the stock was almost like Brand New.

Latest posts

Back