• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Not So Wacky Shooting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 49399

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I took the Kentucky rifle out today for some serious shooting.

Traditions Kentucky percussion rifle .50 caliber
50 grains Pyrodex RS
.490 Hornady patched round ball, cut at muzzle
CCI #11 caps
All shots from bench rest
May not win any matches, but it works for me.

The top group is actually two shots in one hole with one flier. The flier was the first shot of the day. The bottom group was three shots. Point of aim was center of each group.

67F8814D-1CE1-46FD-8ECF-EABEB1C70B5A.jpeg

Last edited:
I took the Kentucky rifle out today for some serious shooting.

Traditions Kentucky percussion rifle .50 caliber
50 grains Pyrodex RS
.490 Hornady patched round ball, cut at muzzle
CCI #11 caps
All shots from bench rest
May not win any matches, but it works for me.

The top group is actually two shots in one hole with one flier. The flier was the first shot of the day. The bottom group was three shots. Point of aim was center of each group.

View attachment 159266
I will lay odds and bet a $1,000 to $1 that 95% of us here wish our shots were that accurate! I have seen modern rifles not group as well! I suspect that a few here would wet their pants if they could shoot as well! LOL!

I will lay odds and bet a $1,000 to $1 that 95% of us here wish our shots were that accurate! I have seen modern rifles not group as well! I suspect that a few here would wet their pants if they could shoot as well! LOL!

It was an exceptionally good day. Everything went right. I’ve had days where everything went wrong and I couldn’t hit the side of a barn if I was standing in it.😄

Heck, I almost wet my pants to see someone else shot that good!

Thanks. That’s the knife I plowed up out of the garden. It’s a great patch knife and my favorite for every day carry.
I thought that was it but couldn't remember from the other discussion exactly what it looked like. It is cool though and to think you found it in the garden. That's my idea of buried treasure.

I've never quite figured out the attraction to these rifles but they seem popular. I always kind of figured them a very basic entry level gun. Most I've seen online look to have been made up from a kit. I've wondered why examples sell at online auction sites for as much as they do. Apparently people find them accurate beyond expectations. The only one I ever really had my hands on was brought to me by my Dad, coworker of his asked him to have me look at, the bore was a sewer pipe of rust.

I've never quite figured out the attraction to these rifles but they seem popular. I always kind of figured them a very basic entry level gun. Most I've seen online look to have been made up from a kit. I've wondered why examples sell at online auction sites for as much as they do. Apparently people find them accurate beyond expectations. The only one I ever really had my hands on was brought to me by my Dad, coworker of his asked him to have me look at, the bore was a sewer pipe of rust.
I guess that is correct about an entry level rifle. Most folks just getting into it may not want to drop a thousand bucks or more on a rifle only to give up interest so these guns do provide an opportunity. But they are much more than that. Just like any rifle, if you take care of it then it will take care of you. I've had many a Traditions rifle but have never fired their version of the Kentucky. So far they have performed better than what the price tag would suggest for me. And many a CVA or Jukar rifle (essentially the same as Banjo's rifle) have passed through my collection. Every one of them, without exception, has been a fantastic rifle. At least that has been my experience with them. The only thing I don't like about traditions is that, on the Deerhunter rifles, the trigger design with that little wire spring really sucks. Wondering if anybody offers an aftermarket drop in replacement for that??? Just seems like a weak point. But otherwise both of my deerhunters (one regular and one with a 13 inch barrel) work great. If you ever get a chance to shoot one of these give it a shot. You might be surprised.

Nice shoot'n, my cousin had a Tradition .50 flintlock and it too was a tack driver. Not to detract from the other part of the equation (shooter) helping those groups!!!

I've had several CVA and Traditions rifles over the years. Every last one was terrifically accurate. I shot and hunted with a DeerHunter .50 for over 20 years. The Spanish and Italian barrels are really good but usually have that dogleg breech which I don't like.

I recall Dutch Schultz mentioning that in his days coaching the US team that the spanish rifles were very much in use by the team shooters. The Pedersoli guns are popular with the European international competitors.

Great shooting!
That "flier" on the first target was the foul shot, my foul shot is always a bit low like that too.
I'm sighted in for a 75 yard zero and my first foul shot hits at a 50 yard zero.

Yep. I wish I would have put that first shot off paper to make the group look better.😄

I shot that gun again today and could only get about 2 inch groups at 50 yards. But it was windy and I was tired so I’ll blame it on that.

I have read that Bergera makes the barrels for Traditions. And they are top class barrel makers. I have owned and shot several CVA rifles and all were shooters. And unless abused were some of the slickest barrels I have ever looked down.

The big drawback to the guns like the OP has is the 2 piece stock. And the ugly brass spacer. If I ever built one from a kit I would either use a wood spacer or just join the two stock pieces and refit the pins and nose cap.

But for someone just getting into BP shooting there is not a thing in the world wrong with those guns. You can also buy a one piece stock version but now they make them with the same 33” barrel instead of the 39”(?) barrel like they used to have.

Back