Not liking this new format..

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements & Support' started by S.Kenton, Oct 29, 2018.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Nov 1, 2018 #41

Keb

Keb

Keb

50 Cal.

The old software use to let you turn off certain forums. I sure miss that option. Any chance of getting that one back?

2. Nov 1, 2018 #42

2kuz

2kuz

2kuz

Administrator Staff Member Admin MLF Supporter

I can look into font size changes but one option is the increase the text size on your browser. For me if I hold down CNTL and use the scroll wheel on my mouse, it makes the font larger.

3. Nov 1, 2018 #43

FishDFly

FishDFly

FishDFly

69 Cal.

Angie,

"I updated your preferences to not see the right side."

Could you please do the same for me? I tried to follow your instructions to remove the right side, but could not do so.

Also under the old format when I logged in, I could stay logged in for about 24 hours or so. Now when I log in and go to other sites and come back to the Forum I have to log in again, wondering why?

Larger font size would be nice for us senior folks.

Thanks for your efforts.

fdf

4. Nov 1, 2018 #44

Angie

Angie

Angie

Administrator Staff Member Admin

Send me a message (little envelope) about which you don't want to see and I'll make it where you don't see them.

5. Nov 1, 2018 #45

Angie

Angie

Angie

Fixed for you.

6. Nov 1, 2018 #46

Kansas Jake

Kansas Jake

Kansas Jake

54 Cal.

I was able to get rid of the 2/3 screen and go to full screen in preference, but I'll be darned if I remember how I did it now. Just know I'm an old geezer and was able to figure it out.

7. Nov 1, 2018 #47

Zonie

Zonie

Zonie

Moderator Staff Member MLF Supporter

If you are running Windows on a computer you can enlarge the text size by holding the Control or Ctrl button down and then poking the + key on the number pad. The more times you poke it, the larger the type will get.
    If you want to reduce the text size, hold the Control button down and poke the minus (-) sign.
    This not only works on this forum but on all forums and other things with text in it.
    I'm sure Apple also has a similar feature but I don't know how to run Apple computers.
    I don't know how to do this on cell phones.

8. Nov 1, 2018 #48

Angie

Angie

Angie

To get rid of side bar.
    Upper right little man icon
    in the list on the left choose PREFERENCES
    at bottom of that page opt out of ads and/or right sidebar.

9. Nov 1, 2018 #49

Angie

Angie

Angie

The font size in writing your replies is a bit larger, but you'll need to use the control button and scroll wheel on mouse for reading enlargement.

10. Nov 1, 2018 #50

ny griz

ny griz

ny griz

58 Cal.

Don't like it,much eiser the old way.

11. Nov 1, 2018 #51

Angie

Angie

Angie

How was the old way easier? Maybe I can help you find what you want to do in an easy manner here.

12. Nov 3, 2018 #52

MiddleJohn

MiddleJohn

MiddleJohn

32 Cal.

I agree with Coot. Old system that went straight to unread posts was a real time saver!

13. Nov 3, 2018 #53

Angie

Angie

Angie

Strange thing. All the threads I've read, when I go back and there is a new post the s/w takes me directly to the first new post. Have you tried it yet on a thread you have read before but has a new post?

14. Nov 3, 2018 #54

Crewdawg445

Crewdawg445

Crewdawg445

58 Cal. MLF Supporter

I love this forum, here everyday and I'm not a techy one bit even though I'm a young'n. Certainly miss the old setup... It just felt more comfortable and warm if that makes any sense. Now with this new setup it doesn't feel as inviting anymore. I for one say bring back the old! I'm always open to change as that is how the world operates but some things are just better left alone. I know security concerns and what not were a issue, why couldn't the old format be updated with whatever computer software or programs without the drastic changes?

Also I for one miss the little images that highlighted each separate section of the different threads.

15. Nov 3, 2018 #55

Angie

Angie

Angie

The old software stopped being supported for updates at least 5 years ago. A drastic change was necessary to keep the MLF going. We either did this, or one morning when we went to log in or just bring up the site it would have been gone. I totally understand not liking change when comfortable and when you don't see the issues. But the old was rather like the termites had eaten the supports. You don't see them until you start looking, but once found you wonder why the building has not already fallen down. And if you think about it, don't the friends and members make a forum warm and inviting? You still have them.

16. Nov 3, 2018 #56

Crewdawg445

Crewdawg445

Crewdawg445

58 Cal. MLF Supporter

Understand completely, couldn't the same format be used with new software? With technology it seems possible.

17. Nov 3, 2018 #57

2kuz

2kuz

2kuz

Administrator Staff Member Admin MLF Supporter

We mirrored the style of the old website pretty good I felt. What are some specific differences?

18. Nov 3, 2018 #58

Juice Jaws

Juice Jaws

Juice Jaws

54 Cal. MLF Supporter

You can also change the font size in the reply box, go to the top of the box and click on the A= and you can make the font bigger or smaller. I am sure in a few months most of us will enjoy the new set up

19. Nov 3, 2018 #59

dgracia

dgracia

dgracia

54 Cal.

Hi Angie,

I haven't been on for a bit and I really like the ability to "like" a post. Very nice change!

One thing I use a lot though and don't see it anymore is the ability to "mark all as read" on the various forums such as Flintlock Rifles, Accoutrements, The Craftsman, etc. After reading and responding to the various messages that interest me in each of these sub-groups, I like to hit that button on the top left of the topic lists that said, "mark all as read". I don't see that in the new set up and I find it annoying to have the "old" new messages keep the "unread messages" icon up.

With the ability to "mark all as read" I could tell at a glance if there were any new messages in that forum without opening it up to try to figure out which ones were new and which ones I had passed over previously. If you can work that back in, it would be a big help.

Now, if there already is a way to do that and I just haven't found it yet, please direct me to its location.

I also really miss the fourm specific smiley's like the "Hats Off" and "thumbs up" ones we used to have here. Now its the same generic smileys every other forum has...:(

Thanks,
    Twisted_1in66 :)
    Dan

20. Nov 3, 2018 #60

dgracia

dgracia

dgracia

54 Cal.

You can also hold down the ctrl key and use the scroll wheel on your mouse to make the text bigger or smaller. If you want to get it back to the default setting, hold Ctrl and hit "0" (that's a zero, not an o). Again, this works with any windows machine wherever text is found.

Twisted_1in66
    Dan

Angie likes this.