Not liking this new format..

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements & Support' started by S.Kenton, Oct 29, 2018.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Oct 29, 2018 #1

S.Kenton

S.Kenton

S.Kenton

58 Cal.

it’s a real struggle to use this new format... couldn’t log in at first... is can’t find my old user name in my profile anywhere... anyone else struggling?

2. Oct 29, 2018 #2

S.Kenton

S.Kenton

S.Kenton

58 Cal.

What happened to S.Kenton... that was my user name...
    ppened

3. Oct 29, 2018 #3

RC

RC

RC

75 Cal. MLF Supporter

you'llget it back..angie workin on them one at a time when she gets to your posty she'll fix ya up!~ be patient....:)

4. Oct 29, 2018 #4

mushka

mushka

mushka

36 Cal.

I don't care much for it either. The other format just seemed to be friendlier. This one seems more mechanical. This forum always vaunted the old ways of living and shooting, now it has modernized itself away from the old thoughts and gone modern. Poohy.

5. Oct 29, 2018 #5

bubba.50

bubba.50

bubba.50

54 Cal.

Sux for me too.

6. Oct 29, 2018 #6

Angie

Angie

Angie

Administrator Staff Member Admin

Okay. What specifically do you not like?

As someone continually tells me, specifics! Generalities cannot be fixed. So, I'm willing to do my best for all of you to get comfortable using this version, but you know - YOU are what makes this MuzzleLoadingForum, this is just a method for you do to it.
    But I'll help....

RC likes this.
  7. Oct 29, 2018 #7

Leadball loader

Leadball loader

Leadball loader

32 Cal.

8. Oct 29, 2018 #8

Angie

Angie

Angie

If you want to reply to a thread without a quote, just look at the bottom of the posts and find a blank box. Just start typing into it. That's what I just did.

9. Oct 29, 2018 #9

Leadball loader

Leadball loader

Leadball loader

32 Cal.

I like the fact I can figure out how to post easier. Just is a lot nicer.
    I had to create a new password but I think I’ll have an easier time using the site once I get used to it. I am not a tech savy guy either.

10. Oct 29, 2018 #10

Angie

Angie

Angie

You can do it. I'll help. And I'm a grandma, so I know you can do it.

11. Oct 29, 2018 #11

bubba.50

bubba.50

bubba.50

54 Cal.

For starters, it needs to be full-screen. No need for that ‘recent posts’ column to even be there much less take up 1/3 of my available screen space. And change just for the sake of bein’ ‘modern’ or ‘trendy’ or ‘cutting edge’ or whatever y’all were shootin’ for has screwed up a lot of things here.

Abe48 likes this.
  12. Oct 29, 2018 #12

Coot

Coot

Coot

69 Cal. MLF Supporter

With the old setup, new posts that I had not read were shown & the sub forums had a count of new posts since last viewed (for example - "camp cooking" - 6 new posts). If I opened any given subforum, it would show unread posts from the last time I opened that subforum. Under the current system, I cannot identify which posts are new & it seems that I must go to the top of the page for every subforum to "Mark posts as read" - under the pod system, this was automatic. Hopefully I am missing something as the new setup seems very difficult, clumsy & time consuming compared to the old version.

Abe48 likes this.
  13. Oct 29, 2018 #13

Angie

Angie

Angie

1. There is a request to get the full screen back. I'll be checking on it's status for in a bit. Giving the developer a chance to get through his Monday stuff since he was driving yesterday.

2. Sake of bein' modern - no, that's not it at all. It's to keep you and your computer more safe. And if that old software had a problem it was not being supported by the maker of it, and the site would have been out of luck. If we had the rather, it would have been easier and cheaper to just let it go and have problems that could not be fixed. We care enough for this forum for the owner to get us together to keep this place working for years to come. We don't do these things just because it's fun. It's not. But we care about all the members of MuzzleLoadingForum. YOU are important!

3. If you have not read a post the icon to the left is bold, if you have read it there is almost no color to the icon on the left. I have read the threads in the bottom 2 forums, but that Welcome forum has posts I have not read. When you read all, or mark all read - when there is a new post you will see the darker icon on the left side.

upload_2018-10-29_17-32-32.png

For a thread, if read there is a dot to the left of the title, it will barely show. If new posts you have not read, there is a blue dot to the left of the title.

upload_2018-10-29_17-34-35.png

14. Oct 29, 2018 #14

peashooterJoe

peashooterJoe

peashooterJoe

40 Cal.

Will the old posts be available fora search function?

15. Oct 30, 2018 #15

Juice Jaws

Juice Jaws

Juice Jaws

54 Cal. MLF Supporter

Its only been two days. Give it a while and I believe we will all love this set up. I had problems with signing in, user name and all the rest. But Angie is working very hard and has answer all my emails, she is the greatest, hey I am a old guy and hate change also, but my late father has always said, it will all work out in the end. I like this new site.

16. Oct 30, 2018 #16

waarp8nt

waarp8nt

waarp8nt

32 Cal.

East of the Kaskaskia River in Illinois Country
    I used to be a tech, so I'm used to change for the sake of change. If this site is more secure, then I'm all for it. I had to sign in again and repost my avatar, but no big deal. Pictures are easy; host, link & post!

I second the motion for full screen!!! I prefer to use my devices in landscape not portrait. I simply do not care for the split in landscape.

17. Oct 30, 2018 #17

S.Kenton

S.Kenton

S.Kenton

58 Cal.

My username is S.Kenton,the one currently being used is part of my sign in process... that’s no.1 no.2 is I don’t see any avitars.. I’m guessing those will come in time...I’m not a huge fan of changing stuff that is working good.. I’m sure I’ll get used to it in time...I don’t post here an awful lot.. but I’m here everyday reading...

18. Oct 30, 2018 #18

S.Kenton

S.Kenton

S.Kenton

58 Cal.

Figured out the avitars...

19. Oct 30, 2018 #19

In Over My Head

In Over My Head

In Over My Head

40 Cal. MLF Supporter

I'm coming around. My initial response to discovering the forum was "gone" was to shift into full curmudgeon mode. I have seen other forums go up in flames when trying to change platforms.

But this isn't too bad. The need for security is often not apparent to the average user, but I have also seen forums brought to their knees by malicious hacking when they tried to ride out an orphan platform without ongoing security updates.

I was able to reuse my old password. Good! Some software won't allow you to reuse a password. I reach this forum from multiple computers and multiple browsers on the computers, it is a pain to lose all the "remember my password settings" but I didn't. Good!

It was easy-peasy to reload my avatar. Much easier than originally loading it. It was sort of klutzy that the migration utility lost it, but not unusual. It is going to be interesting seeing old hands with new avatars in some cases. It gives their posts a different character!

Losing my screen name was sort of klutzy too, but Angie fixed that in a flash. Thanks, Angie!

Yes, losing 1/3 of the screen is a problem. Maybe even a big problem if it reduces the size at which you can view photos for detail. But the quick response to other problems suggests this will be short-lived.

But... Didn't we used to have a section just for paid members? Have we done away with paid memberships?

20. Oct 30, 2018 #20

Juice Jaws

Juice Jaws

Juice Jaws

54 Cal. MLF Supporter

There is still a section for paid memberships, I lost my for a while but Angie fix it. Let her know if you don't see the paid members section and Angie will take care of it.