Not for sale!

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements & Support' started by -, Jul 27, 2010.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Aug 12, 2010 #121

LRB

LRB

LRB

75 Cal.

GOOD!!!

2. Aug 12, 2010 #122

I'm glad you like my suggestion. :thumbsup:

3. Aug 12, 2010 #123

Capt. Fred

Capt. Fred

Capt. Fred

50 Cal.

I agree completely with your point Jack. What I was saying is that it makes no difference to me. You may not have seen it,( I think it is about 40 pages back LOL) but I posted earlier that I think it is entirely up to Claude to determine whatever the rules need to be and entirely up to him and his mods to enforce them.

But, I think it is a good point you make that it may dry up ad revenue. That's something Claude will have to weigh into his decision.

There used to be a small advertising paper in New England that was done on the honor system. You called in your ad, they printed it, and if your item sold you sent in your fee. If your item didn't sell then no fee was due. It was around for at least 20 years so it must have worked. Maybe some similar system could work here.

I've got no dog in the fight so it makes no difference to me. But it is a real shame that some of the pros have stopped posting their stuff. Hopefully a clarification of the rules, and a clarification of whose job it is to enforce the rules, will bring them back in.

4. Aug 12, 2010 #124

rabjr

rabjr

rabjr

Cannon MLF Supporter

We all know your input, we've heard it several times. Every time someone else posts what they think. It's being handled and whatever someone else posts has nothing to do with you and what you think about this. Just let Claude deal with it.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2018
  5. Aug 12, 2010 #125

gizamo

gizamo

gizamo

45 Cal.

Claude,

Email sent regarding web hosting and software ....

Steve

6. Aug 13, 2010 #126

Fair enough. :thumbsup:

7. Aug 13, 2010 #127

Lon B

Lon B

Lon B

69 Cal.

How does the Classifieds figure into this dilema? Isn't it free? Can member/vendors post their stuff there for sale? GW

(not in response to anyone)

8. Aug 13, 2010 #128

LaBonte

LaBonte

LaBonte

Passed On

I can only speak for myself but one of the assumptions being made by some is the idea that because I am a pro that I am here to sell and that I am getting away with something by posting and that other pros are doing the same.
    With all due respect at least in my case that assumption is erroneous. In the following comments I will be trying my best not to break the rules, but in order to explain why I post here I do need to explain certain points and that gets into the area of business, but without specifics
    1) Being a "savvy businessman" I know my customer base and this ain't it - the fact is my work is by far designed for the collector or high end user and the price point is well above that the majority of members here would even consider spending since much of it costs the equivalent of a rifle or smoothbore. While I placed this as point one it really was never and never will be a big deal for me since I don't visit this forum to sell my product, despite what others may assume.
    2) Point one is also the reason I don't purchase advertising here because advertising needs to be carefully considered and purchased where it will be most effective. None of this by the way is a negative reflection on Claude or any member here - it's just the facts as seen from my viewpoint.
    3) As for advertising as a business (which consists of me and my wife and a couple of bladesmiths that I collaborate with, that's it and none of us are getting rich) I have found myself to be in the mostly enviable position of having to do little advertsising since word of mouth keeps me and has kept me now for some years 12-18 months or more back ordered, so again I have no reason to advertise here.

On the other hand I do like to post my work at times and try to offer help/advice when and where I can has to with my background as a craftsman.
    I started down this road 50 years ago and hopefully will be able to go until the day I pass on. When I started there were no forums, there was no internet, and even the written material was sparse compared to today and along with the museums and other places you could actually see original pieces were often few and far between and often closed to those without some kind of academic credentials.
    As for learning from old timers - there were those who were willing to teach and pass on their knowledge - personally I can thank: Ted Fellowes, Herschel House, Don King, Bill Moran, Jim Hrisoulas, Phil Sanders, Lynn Weimer, and a few others who were willing to pass on their hard earned expertise. On the other hand there were many, many more who kept their "secrets" as secrets and were even offended if you asked for help. I even know of one maker who was threatened with violence by some others after he wrote some books that gave away their secrets. I also "apprenticed" myself to various craftsman over the years and most times was treated like crap, but I generally learned something so in the long run it was worth something to me, but it wasn't easy.
    Anyway this isn't about feeling sorry for me and how hard my life was back in the old days, except in the sense that I promised myself then that if I ever got into the position where my work was considered worthy of being taught by others that I would offer as much help, advise, and maybe most of all inspiration that I could to others and that is why I post here and other places - it's as simple as that with no ulterior motives to do Claude or any one else out of their just due. And speaking of inspiation I visit her not only to hopefully inspire others but to also be inspired by others whether pro or amateur.
    Anyway it's been another very long day and I am plum tuckered out so buenas noches and I hope that my words are at least food for thought for those who seem to think us pros are only interested in dollar signs .....
    Heck - If that were true I sure wouldn't be doing this for a living :thumbsup:

9. Aug 13, 2010 #129

shmrck1

shmrck1

shmrck1

Cannon

Chuck,
    That is a great post,and worthy of all
    participates in this thread to read.
    Thanks for taking the time to post it :bow:
    snake-eyes :applause:

10. Aug 13, 2010 #130

BrownBear

BrownBear

BrownBear

Cannon MLF Supporter

Hats off, Chuck. :hatsoff:

That's the spirit we need to build on, both here on Claude's site and in the details of our own personal lives. Without it, we might as well be using sticks to knock little white balls into gopher holes.

11. Aug 13, 2010 #131

Claude Mathis

Claude Mathis

Claude Mathis

Cannon MLF Supporter

FWIW, although this is true in your case, for some people, this is their target market and we have had people join the Forum for the sole purpose of selling their products. Over the years I've deleted quite a few accounts because of this.

The "Selling in Forums" thing Carl posted is a well known tactic, that I recommend to my clients as a method of promoting their web sites. Forums are a well know way of promoting a business and one of the criteria is, to find a forum that is your target market. Depending on how it's done (within the rules), there's nothing wrong with it.

I want the Pros to use the Forum.
    I want people to share their work, Pros or not.
    I want the wording of the guidelines to clearly define the difference in sharing and selling.

The amount of time I have to devote to the Forum is very limited right now, but I'm working on it. :)

12. Aug 13, 2010 #132

BrownBear

BrownBear

BrownBear

Cannon MLF Supporter

You time and effort is greatly appreciated Claude. That's a big part of why so many of us come here.

This whole thing smacks of a tempest in a mole hill. Or is that a teapot on a mountain?

If clearer guidelines help you smack the offenders, good deal. I think the spirit most of us are striving for is clear, and already accounted for.

13. Aug 13, 2010 #133

Tinker2

Tinker2

Tinker2

54 Cal.

Yes, what Snake-eyes said +

Well said.
    I think (IMO) the main reason I like and use this forum is to see what the craftsmen are doing, the professionals, amateurs and wannabes, all of them are contributing to the forum by posting here.

It is the main reason I come here and why I think this forum is the best on the net.

I might post something here not to sell it but assess its value and worthiness, maybe get a little praise and pat on the back with an ata boy or two. I am sure I am not alone in that.

This is ( to me ) by far the best place on the internet.

Do we trust Claude and the moderators to keep this the best on the internet?
    YES is the answer.

To Claude and the moderators :hatsoff:

Tinker2

14. Aug 13, 2010 #134

Claude Mathis

Claude Mathis

Claude Mathis

Cannon MLF Supporter

I agree. I think it's been working pretty darn good so far. I would like to clarify things a little, so we don't have to have this discussion again.

15. Aug 13, 2010 #135

anvil1231

anvil1231

anvil1231

40 Cal.

I agree Snake-eyes. Thanks again for posting Chuck.

16. Aug 13, 2010 #136

lonehunter

lonehunter

lonehunter

58 Cal.

Well, There ya go! straight from the big chief himself! :v

17. Aug 13, 2010 #137

Claude Mathis

Claude Mathis

Claude Mathis

Cannon MLF Supporter

Please wait for the updated guidelines before reading anything into what I said. :)