Not for sale!

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements & Support' started by -, Jul 27, 2010.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Jul 27, 2010 #1

Subtle, but known to be effective.

In some cases, you see the same photos blasted to several forums within minutes of each other. Sort of a "campaign" if you will? Oh wait, it's "sharing information", not promoting yourself.

Just don't use the word "sale". :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2018
  2. Jul 27, 2010 #2

anvil1231

anvil1231

anvil1231

40 Cal.

:thumbsup:

3. Jul 27, 2010 #3

widget350

widget350

widget350

45 Cal.

:v

I understand your meaning, though not all who post images of their work are trying to drum up business. Some legitimately want to share what they've done as an example for others to follow, and for peer review, which can benefit anyone who views it, should they try to appreciate it at it's face value.

On the other hand, I also would prefer this particular forum to be more of a "how to," which, to it's credit, it often becomes, as people say stuff like "I like that aged look, how'd you do it?"... Still, I think some of the initial pictures would be better suited in the "Photos" forum, if that's all that's being presented, and not the method(s) used to produce the item(s). Even without adding any additional information, this forum is being used properly if the original poster is the maker of the item they post, since that's the only requirement for posting here. Since it's neither of our forums, it's not up to us to decide if the description of this forum makes it unique enough to merit it's current use, in light of the "Photos" forum, though I certainly enjoy looking at the cool stuff people post. They've given me many ideas for my own projects. It would be nice if some additional information were volunteered rather than needing to be extracted by questions.

BTW, generally when I use a quote I provide the source. I couldn't find yours in a google search (though I didn't waste too much time trying). Care to share a reference, or are you quoting yourself?

All that being said, technically this thread doesn't belong here since it doesn't present any product created by either of us, save for ny opinion and your insinuation. Don't be too surprised if it gets moved or deleted. :haha:

4. Jul 27, 2010 #4

RJR

RJR

RJR

45 Cal.

Sounds more like a WAAAAAAAAA moment to me. JMHO

5. Jul 27, 2010 #5

rabjr

rabjr

rabjr

Cannon MLF Supporter

Actually if they are just photos they should be posted in the Photo Forum, don't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out. Pictures of items made posted here should be accompanied with a pictorial or a "how to make this" essay. Unfortunately far to many aren't and because the Mod's don't move them, it just continues. So all the lines have become blurred now.

I used to post things I made and showed how because I thought I might be helping someone even if it was one person but after to many complaints I stopped. So once in a while if I make something it goes to the classifieds and I don't worry about this forum much anymore except to see what others are making.

6. Jul 27, 2010 #6

widget350

widget350

widget350

45 Cal.

Yeah, I saw that before, and was about to edit my post but my finger slipped on the keyboard. I got mixed up because I think the subtitle to the forum used to state something to that effect, and now it just reads "Things you've made. Knives, Tomahawks, Horns, Clothing, Bags, etc." I could be wrong about it ever being different, though.

Right you are:
    Show us something you made and share how you made it.

Far too often the red portion is neglected. I wonder if we'd see more people's stuff on here if more of the experienced craftsman posted more descriptions of the techniques they used for a project on here. :hmm:

7. Jul 27, 2010 #7

Claude Mathis

Claude Mathis

Claude Mathis

Cannon MLF Supporter

You raise some valid points (BTW, this will be moved to "Using the Forum").

This forum was originally intended for the average guy to post photos of the "personal gear he made for himself", not items that will eventually be offered for sale - That would be a business. It was not intend to the professionals to post their "products".

I've never really enforced or strongly defined the Craftsman forum's use, so it's taken on a life of it's own.

I'm starting to think that perhaps it's time to define it in such a way that there's no room for interpretation (or mis-interpretation).

8. Jul 27, 2010 #8

Claude Mathis

Claude Mathis

Claude Mathis

Cannon MLF Supporter

The "Craftsman" forum will be offline for a couple days.

It will return shortly.

9. Jul 27, 2010 #9

I always thought that that forum was for the guys that make their own gear to share techniques and learn from each other, becuase many buckskinners make their own stuff. I think it used to b seen that way, but slowly it's become a place for the pros to feature their products, with little or no info. Perhaps a list of materials, but nothing more. Their stuff is beautiful and people enjoy seeing it, but it's an end run around the rules. Especially when it's obvious that the stuff is not for their own use. (i.e. professional glamor photography, link to commercial site in profile, etc.) IMHO

10. Jul 27, 2010 #10

RickD

RickD

RickD

54 Cal.

Lately I cant think of but a very few that show how the item was made...A few items havent even been made by the people posting them but by family members or friends..

11. Jul 27, 2010 #11

tshrcav8r

tshrcav8r

tshrcav8r

36 Cal.

I usually don't enter into these types of discussions, but somehow I feel the need to speak here.

I was happy with the way the forum had been moderated. Where I live there is little black powder activity. When I make items, I use the information and inspiration from this forum to help. I have little opportunity to actually see the work of others, whether pro or not. I can see that here and ask questions if I have them. The community here seems more than willing to share their knowledge. I would hate to see the activity in this fourm die. If we can only post techniques or tutorials, people like me would never be able to post here. I don't have anything to add there. I have posted a few things here, in the hopes that I can get feedback on how to improve from a group of knowledgeable individuals. The feedback has been invaluable to me.

If anything, I would hope that the forum rules would changed to better reflect how the it is being used. I would hate to lose what to me has become a valuable resource.

Tim

12. Jul 27, 2010 #12

I mean this with respect; If you have access to this forum, you have access to the pro's web sites (most have them). There are many more pro's web sites out there than are posting here and you can ask them all the questions you like.

13. Jul 27, 2010 #13

Perhaps a separate forum where the "Pros" can show their products and charge them a small fee? Sound fair?

14. Jul 27, 2010 #14

RickD

RickD

RickD

54 Cal.

Also a few members that post pictures of items they make are from foreign countries and they have a problem with the language..I honestly do think they try as hard as they know how but maybe need someone to explain them whats expected of them on where to post topics in the right areas

15. Jul 27, 2010 #15

I've seen forums where the paid advertisers have a little more leeway with what they can post. Since they already pay for advertising, they are free to make reference to their business in their posts. Things like, "I can get you a better price on that" are acceptable.

16. Jul 27, 2010 #16

LRB

LRB

LRB

75 Cal.

That was kinda tried. It didn't work. The price was too high for the return. I don't know about others, but I don't get that much business from members by showing my work here. Some, yes, but certainly not a major portion. Showing my work, and getting the feed back on it, good, bad, or indiffernt, is more important to me than any possible sales from this board. I have always tried to answer any questions on how to do something if asked. Most often in clear detail. It would seem that a particular person, who is a PIA to everyone on this board, plus a few malcontents, seem to have more influence here than the group as a whole. One, in particular, who agrees with the PIA, pretty much got his start right here on the craftsman board, showing his expertise, but I guess memory can be selective. I will abide by whatever Claude comes up with, but I find find it very strange that one certain PIA seems to have such a large portion of leeway, when he insults someone with nearly every post he makes, and is never called on it. Very strange! :v

17. Jul 27, 2010 #17

Claude Mathis

Claude Mathis

Claude Mathis

Cannon MLF Supporter

Warnings and reprimands are always handled in private, unless someone makes a public statement or asks a public question, then they may get answered in public.

18. Jul 28, 2010 #18

DOUBLEDEUCE 1

DOUBLEDEUCE 1

DOUBLEDEUCE 1

69 Cal.

I thought the Craftsman section was fine the way it was. I enjoy seeing things made by other people whether for sale or not. I found it very inspiring. I also think it is too bad when someone who has a small difficulty that barely amounts to a valid and worthwhile objection, muddies up the waters for everyone else.
    I think you are running the best site on the web for this hobby/ activity.

19. Jul 28, 2010 #19

Lon B

Lon B

Lon B

69 Cal.

I enjoy seeing items made by the Pros and the average guy as well. I can't remember a time when I saw an item posted in a way that said "Buy Me." Apparently the rules in place and the moderators are doing a good job.

I wish the gun builders would post MORE pics of their finished products. I suspect they are already sold by the time the finish is dry.

My biggest complaint with the Craftsmen Forum is seeing "wannabe moderators" accuse people of advertising their handywork.

GW

20. Jul 28, 2010 #20

widget350

widget350

widget350

45 Cal.

Wick - It's always a pleasure to see your work, and I agree that you put forth a lot of effort to explain techniques for what you've done and even for what other people have done or are wanting to do. There are many others who post some excellent work on there, which is why it's one of the handful of forums I visit daily.

The reality is, it was being used incorrectly by some, and though some people make mention of it, ultimately the decision to take any action is Claude's, and it's apparent that he felt it wasn't operating as intended. Though a few people commenting on it may have spurred the action or him trying to revamp it, they (myself included), didn't force his hand.

Also, just because the observation is made that the rules aren't being followed doesn't mean someone is a malcontent. Certainly, we could probably all agree that there are a few, but others of us appreciate what it being put forth but can look at it objectively and comment on it's eligibility based on the rules set forth. Those rules are probably changing - that doesn't always mean for the worse. Claude wants the forum to be active and productive. If it wasn't producing what he wanted then it had to be changed, even if it had great activity on it.

I look forward to having it back, in whatever form, and to seeing more of your work in the future.

:hatsoff: