• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Not cooking in camp, but...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its rather complicated actually. System cannot handle fats so wild meat is main diet. Chicken, turkey are fine, just not the skin. Milk and dairy are mostly problematic regardless of cow, goat or whatever. Olive oil, coconut oil and margarine seem ok in moderation, as is bear fat for some reason??? Peanut butter is fine but real butter is a no. I have been trying all my old recipes for Ukrainian garlic sausage using regular ground beef in place of pork butts. Hasn’t worked out quite right yet. Some spices are seeming to trigger me now too. Garlic and peppers have become a no go, so that isn’t helping either, lol. I was thinking that perhaps someone may have an ancient recipe that may work is all.
Walk

been to the Philippines many times and I never ever tried bilute

NOPE no reason to eat that other than facing starvation

Dad warned me about some of the other foods Mom had learned about. Frankly, some were really good, and I have no idea how to describe them. That pinkish purple soup was thick and creamy and had bits of red beets in it. It must be an acquired taste.

Sounds like Barszcz, a Polish beet soup, or a variation on Ukrainian Borscht.

I like foods when I go travelling. My wife wants to go see places...., and my response is what kind of foods are we going to get there? She has learned if we're going to travel, find out when and what type of food festival is being held, and then I'm all in.

LD

Its rather complicated actually. System cannot handle fats so wild meat is main diet. Chicken, turkey are fine, just not the skin. Milk and dairy are mostly problematic regardless of cow, goat or whatever. Olive oil, coconut oil and margarine seem ok in moderation, as is bear fat for some reason??? Peanut butter is fine but real butter is a no. I have been trying all my old recipes for Ukrainian garlic sausage using regular ground beef in place of pork butts. Hasn’t worked out quite right yet. Some spices are seeming to trigger me now too. Garlic and peppers have become a no go, so that isn’t helping either, lol. I was thinking that perhaps someone may have an ancient recipe that may work is all.
Walk
Can you do almond or coconut fats? Those are hard at room temp and might take place of animal fat in sausage.
???

Any old sausage recipes that do not include pork or pork fat?
I have digestive issues and have been experimenting, but found nothing suitable yet.
Walk

I think I would start by ammasing some tins (4 or 5 clean tuna cans of the same brand would work) then get together the fats you CAN have a some pork fat.
Your problem is
1) you can't use pork or pork fat
2) most sausages I have made use pork fat at a 70% meat 30% fat mix, so you want to replace 30% of the ingredients
3) you need to find a fat, you can eat, that acts like pork fat when cool & when heated
That is where the tins come in, put a portion of pork fat in one and fat you can eat in each of the others, see if one mimics pork fat when cold, cool, warm & hot (does it melt before the pork starts to melt? is it too soft at room temp? If you can't find one you might need to start mixing fats to try to get the right feel and melting point.)

Bear is too soft and melts way sooner than pork fat, but maybe if you took bear fat froze it, ran it through a grinder, rendered a lot of the fat/oil off at a vary low heat, what is left might work.

also Emulsifying olive oil with soy protein isolate might work (often used as the fat in vegetarian "Sausage")

Any old sausage recipes that do not include pork or pork fat?
I have digestive issues and have been experimenting, but found nothing suitable yet
Its rather complicated actually. System cannot handle fats so wild meat is main diet. Chicken, turkey are fine, just not the skin.... Olive oil, coconut oil and margarine seem ok in moderation, as is bear fat for some reason??? …, I have been trying all my old recipes for Ukrainian garlic sausage using regular ground beef in place of pork butts. Hasn’t worked out quite right yet. .... Garlic and peppers have become a no go, so that isn’t helping either, lol. I was thinking that perhaps someone may have an ancient recipe that may work is all.

Well one that comes to mind is blood sausage, but you'd omit the fat if not substituting coconut oil, and switch to beef blood.

I think that a dry sausage like Sujuk would be the thing for you. The version I've gotten in the past from an Armenian store was Turkish, so it was beef based, and it didn't have much if any fat. You'd have to omit the pepper and the garlic. (You might see if you find a bodily reaction difference between roasted fresh garlic and garlic powder. It might be an anti-caking agent in the dried spice that's giving you fits ?? Roasting might also eliminate your reaction)

Here is a website with as close to what I had as I can find. Any fat in the sausage came with the meat, not added as extra.
Use ground venison instead of the beef, and I think you will be fine, and omit the pepper and garlic.
https://tasteofartisan.com/homemade-dry-cured-sujuk/

LD

Well one that comes to mind is blood sausage, but you'd omit the fat if not substituting coconut oil, and switch to beef blood.

I think that a dry sausage like Sujuk would be the thing for you. The version I've gotten in the past from an Armenian store was Turkish, so it was beef based, and it didn't have much if any fat. You'd have to omit the pepper and the garlic. (You might see if you find a bodily reaction difference between roasted fresh garlic and garlic powder. It might be an anti-caking agent in the dried spice that's giving you fits ?? Roasting might also eliminate your reaction)

Here is a website with as close to what I had as I can find. Any fat in the sausage came with the meat, not added as extra.
Use ground venison instead of the beef, and I think you will be fine, and omit the pepper and garlic.
https://tasteofartisan.com/homemade-dry-cured-sujuk/

LD
I’m gonna try this. Thanks!
Walk

Walkingeagle, My father used to get a somewhat lean smoked beef sausage from a farmer here. It has been decades since I had any, but is was smoked fairly firm. About an inch in diameter in casings after smoked. You could just grab a piece and bend it and it would break off. I loved that stuff but Crohn's disease rearranged my gut and diet. Took years to get back to a semblance of normal eating. Like no smoked or processed meats for almost 20 years. Slowly worked back into bacon, etc.

Polish blood sausage is called kishka , I have always liked kishka taken out of the casing and fried then put on fresh rye bread open faced. Czernina is the best , sweet and sour more on the sour side. Its kinda of hard to find ducks blood and many substitute pigs blood. One time my dad and I went and picked up two live muskovy ducks and bled them ourselves, that was the best batch ever. Interestingly, I know several Polish immigrants, I have hunted and fished with them and they DO NOT eat duck soup, neither in Poland or here. My kids, however loved it when my mother made and with home made egg noodles , you couldn't beat it

My brother in law is an addicted goose hunter and since he is retired and has the means spends a hugh amount of time goose hunting. His co-hunters and he make a lot of sausage from goose breast including slim jim types. I think they do use some pork in their recipes, but I suspect goose alone could make a decent sausage.

My brother in law is an addicted goose hunter and since he is retired and has the means spends a hugh amount of time goose hunting. His co-hunters and he make a lot of sausage from goose breast including slim jim types. I think they do use some pork in their recipes, but I suspect goose alone could make a decent sausage.
I usually don't care for goose meat. But, a friend of mine who is a fabulous game chef, and processes more game meat than most folks ever see, makes goose kielbasa.
I could live on it. I eat all I can get any time he cooks some up, especially when cooked with his homemade sauerkraut. 20200201_161557.jpg
Goose kielbasa is the links closest to the camera. Obviously this is without the 'kraut, that is in a crockpot located elsewhere during this event.

Back