• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Not cooking in camp, but...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackhorse

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Being of Polish descent ( not Polish American as I am an AMERICAN) I research traditional Polish recipes. Historically Poles were all over, just underdocumented. Like being in California with Russians. Found many recipes that are tasty. I got into making sausage. Kielbasa of course, turned out very well. And I found several old timey meat stick recipes, several of which were called "hunters sausage". Tasty beef dried and smoked meat sticks that were traditionally carried by hunters in the field and if made right they kept for a good period. I keep experimenting.

Found a recipe for Polish hunters stew. Sauerkraut and fresh cabbage, mushrooms, onions, beef or venison, chicken, pork or boar. Found it on you tube. My wife didn’t care for it, she doesn’t like kraut... or cabbage. It was ok as there was more for me. I’m not real familiar with polish cooking but was very impressed.

Humor is good but not on a public forum if it mocks the people of some national heritage, race or ethnicity.

Zonie I am not sure about that, that's the problem now everone is too thin skin. A public forum is just that, someone will always get their feelings hurt, to me if you are on a public forum be prepare for anything. Just my 3 cents worth from a old portages' dairy farmer.

Last edited:
Humor is good but not on a public forum if it mocks the people of some national heritage, race or ethnicity.

I'll admit, in this snowflake, cupcakey environment we now have to tolerate the public forum has become more volatile, but it seems as though it only applies to one side of the spectrum. For instance, I am a deplorable, but I wear the badge proudly. I have been known as Fred Flintstone because of my simple living and I laugh at it. It seems to me that public forum humor only offends the closed minded and demanding entitled crowd, the takers and non productive.
No, we are not all alike, but I feel like if a person is comfortable in their own skin, humor is good.
I think poking fun at all national heritage, race and ethnicity has been going on since the beginning of time. I do not condone sarcastically poking fun at the above mentioned , but a little humor, in my opinion, ah, so what?

I would be interested in some of those recipes also. Tried some of Townsends recipes, some good, some not so good.

Last edited:
The other day, I made Polish Cwais (not sure of the spelling). It is a beet soup that is made with smoked pork like smoked neck bones or hocks. As my local wallyworld were out of smoked neck bones and as I do not like using hocks I got smoked pig tails. THE BEST to use is smoke neck bones and yes wallyworld carries them. The pig tails were way too fatty and too many little bones.

Beets, raisins, smoked parts, don't forget a healthy portion of vinegar and cream after all the cooking is done and you put boiled potatoes on the side. It makes a pink sweet and sour type of soup. Mother told me the recipe years ago but I made a recipe that is mine.

This is a poor/peasant type of food, roots and animal parts the rich folk would not touch. "Soul food" is the food of the poor made from scraps or left overs of the upper crust. This batch was mighty tasty though.

This is a poor/peasant type of food, roots and animal parts the rich folk would not touch. "Soul food" is the food of the poor made from scraps or left overs of the upper crust. This batch was mighty tasty though

Sounds like a feast. I have ate a lot of oxtail soup when times were lean. Local butcher shop always had an ample supply of ox tails. Recipe is like vegetable soup, just throw the kitchen sink in it. A good big sourdough biscuit adds to the meal. Sure hit the spot on a cold winter day at the sawmill.

When I was in college, we had some folks who were from Czechoslovakia in our neighborhood. The matriarch of the one family came to the US at 60+ yrs old. My mother spoke no Czech and the old woman spoke no English and they yammered back and forth in the kitchen for hours exchanging cooking tips. One very cold winter day, I came home from college for a break, hungry as a bear, and my mother said she just finished a batch of soup, would I like some. Well sure I said and took my bags to my room. When I returned to the kitchen there was this huge bowl of steaming pinkish purple liquid in a bowl. I very politely consumed the soup and then explained that I wanted to check with a man about a summer job and excused my self to go up the road to McDonald's in the next town. My mother planned that soup for dinner that night. After dinner, Dad said he needed to pick up some tools at a buddy's place and asked if I wanted to go along for the ride. ............. We stopped at a sandwich shop, went and borrowed some tools and on the way home, Dad warned me about some of the other foods Mom had learned about. Frankly, some were really good, and I have no idea how to describe them. That pinkish purple soup was thick and creamy and had bits of red beets in it. It must be an acquired taste.

Often ethnic foods are. We like what we eat. I ate well in the Philippines and Mexico off of street vendors, good eats that. Tried Japanese food at restaurants that served Japanese tourist in Guam tried it several times but just didn’t care for it.
My daughter loves everything Japanese and I had dinner with her many times and some of her exchange student friends, just don’t care for it.
But change your diet and you’ll find after a while foods you have missed don’t taste as good as they used to. You like and even crave what you get used to eating.

Often ethnic foods are. We like what we eat. I ate well in the Philippines and Mexico off of street vendors, good eats that. Tried Japanese food at restaurants that served Japanese tourist in Guam tried it several times but just didn’t care for it.
My daughter loves everything Japanese and I had dinner with her many times and some of her exchange student friends, just don’t care for it.
But change your diet and you’ll find after a while foods you have missed don’t taste as good as they used to. You like and even crave what you get used to eating.

There are foods throughout my life that have burned their taste onto my brain. I can still taste them in my mind and crave them today. Some of them were not so well liked when I was younger, but as the saying goes, "absence makes the heart grow fonder".
Others were so delicious that their equal has never been found.
We change over time and our taste buds, but so does the food.
Never pass up a good meal.

Back