• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Nose piercings?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jethro224

Reaction score
Back in 1776 when Daniel Morgan was putting together his sharpshooters, one of his officers put a board up at 175 yards. On this board in the center was painted a nose. The men shot at the nose, to qualify for the squad the shots had to be close to the nose. Of course these shot were not fired offhand.

I got this in a PT from grzrob the other day. Since he was the winner of the last contest I thought I'd use his idea for the next one, so...

Nose Piercing Contest

Any traditional, open sighted, sidelock muzzleloading rifle or smoothbore, firing a single projectile, normally fired from the shoulder, is allowed.
No cannons. No chunk guns.

Your target is a standard 8.5" x 11" sheet of printer paper with your best(doesn't hafta be that good :haha: ) rendition of a nose drawn in the center. Shots will be measured from center of paper not necessarily from center of noses. :wink:

Distance is 100 yards.

Shots may be taken from a rested position.

Three shots as close as possible to center of the target.

Targets with more than 3 holes will be disqualified.

Shots will be measured from the center of the target to the center of the hole.

Smallest total measure of all 3 shots determines the winner.

Targets that have been mutilated will be disqualified.

All Muzzleloadingforum members are eligible to participate.

Members screen name must be written on their target.(So we know who won. )

One entry per member.

Multiple targets may be submitted in the same envelope to save postage if more than one member shoots in the same group.

Targets must be postmarked by February 1, 2011 to be eligible.

Targets received after February 10, 2011 will be disqualified.

Targets will not be returned unless an S.A.S.E. is included.

Good luck, have fun, and be safe! :hatsoff:

Mail entries to;
Jim Green
P.O. Box 22
Pekin, IL 61555-0022

I ,usually, only shoot off hand but I'll give it a try from my tailgate, don't have a bench.
Deadeye

The tailgate will work. Or you can even do it offhand if you like.

Shots may be taken from a rested position.
Nothing says MUST be rested. :wink:

Leaning on a tree, top of a fencepost, table, bench,... wherever you're comfortable shooting from. :thumbsup:

First time I read that I thought it said "Top of a tree..."

SWMBO had to call the fire department to get me down. :redface: Wouldn't have been so bad if I hadn't forgotten to bring my priming charger, so I didn't even get a shot off. :idunno:

Jethro, just curious, measuring to the center or the edge of the ball hole. This is a tough shoot.
Deadeye

Measuring to the center Deadeye.
Tougher to shoot good when yer shiverin' and yer nose is runnin'. (pun intended):wink:

You got that right, I tried it yesterday, cold, wind was blowing me about 5" to the left, snow was on it's way. There's better days ahead.
Deadeye

I spent all day yesterday hunting deer in a blizzard. :youcrazy:
Wasn't the best day for that either. :haha:

My hunting luck was not much better, I seen fresh deer tracks in the cold white stuff so I set my blind up 40 yards from the tracks and used my Brown Bess. The Deer came out further down the field at 150 yards. So the next day I used my Ferguson Rifle which is dead on at 150 yards.
I seen two crows and one Blue Jay that tried to fly into my blind. This is typical of my luck when I bring out a smoothbore the deer show up way out of range, when I break out a rifle gun
they hide or pop up at 35 yards. I may never get one with a smoothbore but it's fun trying!
I got run out of the mountains because my partner
had a two wheel drive and the cold white stuff started coming down heavy and he did not want to get snowed in up there. ( His job is down the mountain ) Snowed out in North Carolina the first week of December. I would like to Kick Al Gore in his carbon credits!

Iffn ya need a nose:

IMG_0262.jpg

Your's looks better than mine. :bow: Oh well, I have one, now to get decent enough weather to shoot it. :grin: 100 yds. across snow, might be interesting. At least we have a little time to catch a decent day. :thumbsup:

See ya, Jim/OH :hatsoff:

Can I shoot three targets with one shot on each one?
I was thinking about shooting at a refridgerater box ,,,,,,, then drawing the nose on it ""after"" each shot!!!

airmansteve said:
I think I'll try this one. peep sight okay?

Sorry, no peep sights.
the rules said:
Any traditional, open sighted,...

You're welcome to enter with an open-sighted gun tho. But you better hurry, all entries must be post-marked by tomorrow.

There'll be another contest coming up.

Well darn Jethro, I thought the deadline was Feb 10th, was gonna mail mine today. Oh well, wasn't that good anyway.
What's next?
Deadeye

Latest posts

Back