• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Nose cap messed up

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crow#21957

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Yep I have poured some fancy ones and now it's like I forgot everything.
The card stock I wrapped in burned up and wood scorched. Yep got the pewter to hot. Two questions how do you know how hot to get it.(tooth pick scorching) or what. I'm going to need some help on prepping everything before pouring.
Thanks

Ok, here's all the help I can offer,,
Go back and read the answers to all of your other posts about casting pewter for a nose cap. And try doing what has already been advised.
Here's one of the good ones,, some feller said it's a good idea to practice with scrap wood,, because you can always salvage the pewter to try again.
Try that,, practice.(with scrap wood)
When the hard pewter turns to liquid, it's already hot enough to "pour". It doesn't have to "boil" and ya can't pour steam
It just has to turn from being hard, to being a liquid,,,,
And when it does become liquid,, it'll stay that way for awhile, at least a few moments,, you have plenty of time

Last edited:
That was my big mistake to hot. I have a hard time isolating the ramrod and all with index card. It's kinda like a maze. LOL
I will try practicing.
Thanks

Yep I have poured some fancy ones and now it's like I forgot everything.
The card stock I wrapped in burned up and wood scorched. Yep got the pewter to hot. Two questions how do you know how hot to get it.(tooth pick scorching) or what. I'm going to need some help on prepping everything before pouring.
Thanks
Don’t know if you are ‘following’ any particular instructions, but I have had success following the instructions I received with the pewter I purchased from TOW (https://cdn.trackofthewolf.com/Pdfs/pewter/pewter-muzzle-cap-instructions.pdf). Best advice I could give is that if all else fails, follow the instructions. Difficult for some, but usually works when I am trying something new.

I have used index cards with success but started using copper foil, like they use in roofing. I takes shape better and if I see something I don't like I can get in there with a popsicle stick, shaped to whatever I need, and re form it. I also use the toothpick method, and warm the area with a heat gun, oh yeah, i use plumbers putty to make dams if they are required.
Robby

Back