• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Northwest Traders, any good?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I purchased a hand woven wool great coat from Paul (Mueller) a little over a year ago that was well made and that I have been very happy with on zero degree winter days here in NH.

I purchased a couple wool blankets and they are awesome, great people to deal with

Just bought a leather rifle case, blanket lined. Absolutely gorgeous and well made A work of art. Fast shipping and reasonably priced,

Never bought moccasins from them. The ones in the photo are late/ reservation period. Mocs are not hard to make and need fit very tight. For the money I would go with a kit centerseams from Townsend or turkey foot traders. If you buy them to fit they won't fit long. And moccasins don't last long in use.should you want moccasins it's a skill you have to learn or go broke buying replacement

You can buy Mocassin kits from Smoke & Fire Company
And from Turkey Foote Traders (scroll down) as mentioned.

The problem is that they really need to be snug to give you any protection and to avoid blisters. When you make them and you get them snug, then you wear them and they get damp..., they will stretch. THEN you need to open the seams at the heel, and take up the slack. At that point they are fitted to your feet. :wink: Some folks mink oil them after they've been stretched and adjusted, but some think that makes them too slick for walking on damp leaves or grass. Other folks simply go barefoot when it's wet out and try to avoid stretching an ungreased pair a second time. I believe it was Joseph Doddridge who once wrote that wearing moccasins was, "a decent way of going barefoot."

So AFTER you have stretched them and adjusted them, they can be worn until they get a hole, OR since they are kits and may be a bit thinner than you need, you could open them up and use them for patters on some thick elk or even moosehide. Since over a three day trek you're probably going to need at least one fitted, spare pair, as well as repairing a pair..., having pattern and making up two or three pair might be prudent.

LD

Packs show up in old records a lot. I think and can not prove with any documentation, that packs were first made by sewing a new sole on a holed pair of centerseams.
Sometimes we think in terms of centerseams east side seams west, but Ojibwa means pukertoe. Pucker toe is not seen as much in our moccasins discussions but are known well.
French shoes are also know well in the east.

Back