• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Northwest Trade Rifles - Lets see em

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mark,

Thanks for the information! Looks like the most popular barrel length is the 36".

Man am I anxious to get my first smoothbore.

Any more pics would be appreciated!

Pronghorn

Before 1800 the 4' and 3 1/2' barrels were much more popular than the 3' barrels I have had 3'and 3 1/2' ones and much prefer the long ones for length of sight plane and overall comfort, for me the shorter barrel just do not feel as good as the longer ones and the long barrels are not a problem in heavy cover, as many who have never used them fear.

Check out Danny Caywood, he just made mine and I am really pleased. It's my first smoothy. 20ga with a full turkey jugchoke and 41 inch barrel. will shoot round balls for deer and shot for all others.
P1120757.jpg

P1120757.jpg

in responce to longbow hunter. If you don't mind me asking how long did you have to wait on your Caywood?

I cannot figure out where Caywood and some others came up with the 41" barrel when the originals would have been 42" also some have tubing barrels with no taper in the oct section, ugh! nasty looking beasties for sure.Not real certain about the jug chokes as far as history goes if this is an important issue for those who lean that way.

TG,

From earlier posts in this topic, and not applied to you, Old Friend...

Chance locks should be properly marked... Hope this helps....:wink:

NW001.jpg

Hey, poor devil

I was talking to Matt at NS and he told me to talk to ya about the 20 inch canoe gun!
what load and patch are you using????
can you group at 50 yards with it??

thanks RS

I took it out just yesterday and shot it a bit. I am using pillow ticking for patch lubed with bees wax and mutton tallow. I have a mold from Jeff Turner in .636cal and it loads fine. Yesterday I was using only 40gr of 3FFFg but have used 80gr of the same. I have not put on paper formal yet, but was missing a can I found in the desert, but hitting in the same hole in the dirt at about 30-35 yards.

I got 2 shots off at a Jack Rabbit, one with ball and one with shot, but he got away. I have, however taken a jack with it about a month or so ago. The lenght of pull is short and takes a second or 2 to get used to it, but right now I am happy as a pig in slop with it and it is my favorite. :thumbsup:

P

I bought a NSW Trade Gun kit way back in May-as you can see, I have been a bit ...leisurely.. in building it. Most of what you see so far was done in the past week! Actually, I purposely set it aside until winter-I'm too busy outside in summer to be working down in the basement on stuff like this.
So far, I've finished the things that really had me worried and stressed-soldering the barrel lugs and drilling them, and drilling and tapping the lockplate screws. The building tutorial on this site has been very helpful so far. I fretted and sweated over that tang screw,too. It's a 36" barrel, .58 cal, if I remember what I ordered correctly.
There's plenty left to do, but I think the hard stuff is done.

S6000728.jpg

I have a small piece of an original NW gun that was dug up in the historic town of Northport MI. I plan to someday build one of these awesome game getters and use this plate on it.
P1000789.jpg

That is very neat joel. Was there any chance of finding any other parts? My cousin found a complete lock on the east shores of Lake huron. It still had the flint in place.
I hope to build a NWT gun in the future also.

128_2881.jpg
[/img]

Dixie Gun Works kit. Rich Pierce flint that's a tad too long in the photo. Trimmed down, it gets the strike a bit lower than in the photo.

Dan

Was that the one found at the school a couple of years ago?

Foster From Flint

Latest posts

Back