• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Northwest trade guns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was it finnished or in the white ? curious .
Rudyard Rudyard

No mate, came 100 percent finished with Tung oil rubbed.
I did some D&M commemorative tacking after Curly stayed over with us in 1988, will take some photos today for you.

As now attached, the period Sling swivel was added by me, photos had to taken inside my shed as we're enduring rain storms and flooding this week.

Attachments

• North West Trade Gun.jpg
    North West Trade Gun.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 120
  • North West Trade Gun 4.jpg
    North West Trade Gun 4.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 116
  • North West Trade Gun 3.jpg
    North West Trade Gun 3.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 117
  • North West Trade Gun 2.jpg
    North West Trade Gun 2.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
No mate, came 100 percent finished with Tung oil rubbed.
I did some D&M commemorative tacking after Curly stayed over with us in 1988, will take some photos today for you.

BTW ol Curly assured me that some original Trade Guns were fitted with rear sights by their owners; in the main white Trappers, but it wasnt common place. I have a small brass rear sight for mine but yet to be fitted.

Caywood is a very fine Trade Gun but I couldn't afford one. Got a chance to buy a Sitting Fox for less than half the price of the Caywood and it has been one of the finest flintlocks I have owned. Handles and shoots great. Might not be quite as HC as some other makes but I promise you - a time traveler from back in the fur trade days would still recognize it in an instant!
Most of the ML companies give good service and product, against such a field Ray at sitting Fox stands out. Not an easy task.
There were many Belgium made trade fusils, made in imitation of British guns, and sold through American and they tended to be bit more Sitting Fox style.
Cost makes a difference
Post some pictures of your gun

Thank you sir, there doesnt seem to be any info on him making Kit guns though.
If you look down the yellow list on his home page thier is a title “Trade gun kits”. From all I can tell the trade guns are the only kids he sells. Am I wrong in that?

I also have one that he and IRMA made in 12 bore. one of only ten that they made in that bore.

I would use it T-7, and would put 10 grs. of BP. in front / under it. and it would work fine. so, I tried it with out any BP. and shot it with straight T-7, and it went off just fine. I did prime the pan with BLACK.

I have two .62 caliber NWTG's. One is from Caywood and the other one is from Track of the Wolf both bought second hand. Both are nice guns, but what makes the Caywood stand out is the barrel thickness/weight and size of the thimbles. The gun we got from Track has a thin profile stock, but it has smallish diameter thimbles and a rather thick barrel. It is smaller, heavier and has a thinner ramrod. My Caywood has a thinner, lightwieght barrel and very genrously sized thimbles allowing for a nice, sturdy ramrod that I feel is far less likely to break on me. The Track gun is all fancy and emellished with tacks and a buffalo inlay, but it just seems too "pieced together". With the Caywood, everything just feels perfect...proportions, balance, weight. I love that gun.... Love, love, love that gun.
View attachment 106376View attachment 106377

Well my friend, theres one thing we can say about Love love loving our Muzzle loading Guns, they wont Lie to you or Lie about you; and they certainly won't drag you through the Court to rip your financial guts out in property settlement !

What can you tell me about the different types of wood available for stocks; walnut, maple, cherry, ash, beech?

Does it make a difference with barrel length? I'm looking at barrel length of 30 inches as this will be used for wing shooting in thick cover, not for any round ball shooting at bigger game.

Trade guns were mostly often stocked in plain maple Or walnut. These were historically intended to be cheaply built guns made with the cheapest materials. No Cherry, Curly Maple or high figured walnut.

From what I’ve read on this guns, typically the earlier guns were stocked in walnut later guns in maple.

What can you tell me about the different types of wood available for stocks; walnut, maple, cherry, ash, beech?

Does it make a difference with barrel length? I'm looking at barrel length of 30 inches as this will be used for wing shooting in thick cover, not for any round ball shooting at bigger game.
Early NWG came with longer barrels, but as time went on shorter became more common and 30 inch was seen.
On a personal note short doesn’t look right to me. Nor have I ever had a problem with longer.
But that’s just personal. Ballisticlly there is no real advantage to longer barrels out to reasonable smoothbore range, so even if you decide to shoot ball at Bambi later it will do the job. I did take a mulie with a 30 inch cut off bess at about twenty five yards. It was the only mulie I took with an ml.

Back