• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Northstar West British officer’s fusil

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Carbine Bayonets are not usually 17" blades but shorter .I suppose logically they should be longer to make up for the shorter barrels but I don't think that's the case . Some Carbines have 42" barrels but being 'carbine bore' are still classed as Carbines nor if shorter but made full or reduced musket bore do they become 'muskets' but these don't normally take any bayonet so its academic . Rudyard

You are correct, Sir, however the Tower did make up an early version of a light infantry musket with reduced weight and length that was used by dragoons and artillery formations.This version had a wooden rammer as apposed to later models with iron/steel rammers. These shorter muskets were issued with 17" bayonets to compensate for length of barrel. It is believed by many that these are the muskets supplied to the Scottish "watch" companies in the 1720-1740 period. If these carbines were meant for Dragoons, it makes sense as mounted infantry would have a longer bayonet if they were to fight dismounted as sometimes intended. Just my two-cents, my friend from down under!

Dear Glenn I have made most all the Carbines of that period includeing the first pattern Eliott and even a conjectural first pattern Royal Foresters . I didn't make any B nets but am happy to think they could vary in length of blade at whim of Officers or Ordnance If generally the carbine B'nets are shorter when logic suggests better longer . So agree with your point .I made two Wm the 111 d Dragoon carbines and for one of them made its plug B net .But with my current performance with sending pics I cant as I write add them .Most of the Carbines went to the US but I have the 1760 LI, Wm 111d ,& Conjectural Royal Foresters plus a Portugees Pagett & the E I Coys 1820/27 Cavalry of Bakers design plus 1776 Tower rifle & a Nocks volley gun Arty Carbine . Is there no cure ? (I contracted Carbineitus years ago in West Africa , never got over it !) . TOO silly Rudyard ! . Anyway I do like the carbines . whatever length their blades are and I did use wood rods where appropriate. Regards Rudyard

Last edited:
P.S. The North Star West Officer's Fusil seems to have been patterned as much off the P1756 Artillery Carbine as a real Officer's Fusil, hence the longer bayonet mentioned above (if their bayonet is longer) would be perfectly correct for your Fusil.

Gus
I have one of those guns. I got the bayonet with the gun. Supposedly the musket is a direct copy of one in the Smithsonian. Curly Gastomski supposedly went and made plans from that gun. Just measured the bayonet. 14.75 inches o.a.l..

I'd be interested, if you still wouldn't mind moving it. PM if you like

By the way, if anyone is interested, many years ago I bought a brand new Northwest fusil and bayonet for sale. I never even fired the fusil! It has just sat around in my collection for all those years unappreciated and un-used. I can provide pictures and costs if anyone is interested. The sale sale will be my cost of the ten year old Dixie Gun Works catalog price.

I have one of those guns. I got the bayonet with the gun. Supposedly the musket is a direct copy of one in the Smithsonian. Curly Gastomski supposedly went and made plans from that gun. Just measured the bayonet. 14.75 inches o.a.l..

That is good information, thank you. If you don't mind, how long is the socket and how long is the bayonet blade from tip to the curve, where it bends 90 degrees to the socket?

Gus

I guess there were some changes made over time on the repro bayonets. Here’s the Fusil (Northstar West version) bayonet that I got today.

Attachments

• DFAACFB8-CEE5-4348-A0B2-7326E1E8AB3E.jpeg
    DFAACFB8-CEE5-4348-A0B2-7326E1E8AB3E.jpeg
    206.8 KB · Views: 97
  • CBF3550F-B9D6-4C46-86DD-B3EA28194CD6.jpeg
    CBF3550F-B9D6-4C46-86DD-B3EA28194CD6.jpeg
    196.8 KB · Views: 91
  • F8CC5DF6-AEA8-44C4-9C52-41BE8022978C.jpeg
    F8CC5DF6-AEA8-44C4-9C52-41BE8022978C.jpeg
    222.8 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
A great catch GunCat! Where did you find it?
The bayonet came with the gun that a forum member had for sale last week

My old friend, Mike “Kiwi” Rowe, was working for Curly Gotomski in the 1990s when they developed this Officer's Fusil and brought it to market. I've kicked myself many time for not getting one back then :mad: . I have now righted that wrong.:)

The bayonet came with the gun that a forum member had for sale last week

My old friend, Mike “Kiwi” Rowe, was working for Curly Gotomski in the 1990s when they developed this Officer's Fusil and brought it to market. I've kicked myself many time for not getting one back then :mad: . I have now righted that wrong.:)

Good for you!!! Glad you got one!!!!!

Latest posts

Back