• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

northern minn.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm up in gods country ( 70 miles due east of Grand Forks ND. ) I travel to Morristown Mn. once a month ( May-Oct. ) for a shoot on the second Saturday of the month. and I am always looking for more opportunities to go and play that doesn't require me to buy a costume to participate. I also wouldn't be against starting a shoot here>

Once it warms up a bit we ought to see about getting a shoot going in Northern Minnesota there seem to be quite a few “Muzzleloaders” in the area. I’m in the Duluth area. Cotton

I'm in the Duluth area. I've been watching woods walks on YouTube and it looks like a lot of fun.

I’m in the Duluth area also, where do you shoot? I belong to the Northern Sportsman’s Club and we have a range on the North side of Island Lake, we ought to get together and burn some powder!

I’m in Florida till May but we should shoot together this spring. I haven’t seen anyone else shooting black powder over there.
Let me know when you get back from Florida, we’ll set up a time to shoot! Cotton

Morgan MN here. New to the site. Not new to bp. But getting back into sidelocks. First from back in the late '70s, a CVA KLR. Nothing bought till within the last 6 months.
A 50cal CVA Frontier
54cal TC New Englander
50cal Invest arms w/GM 1/28trist
And last but not least, 2-50cal TC Hawken.

Can we say "Obsessed"?

Morgan MN here. New to the site. Not new to bp. But getting back into sidelocks. First from back in the late '70s, a CVA KLR. Nothing bought till within the last 6 months.
A 50cal CVA Frontier
54cal TC New Englander

Can we say "Obsessed"?
we shoot almost every month at Allmans guns in Morristown we had 12 shooters this month. 2nd saturday of the month May through October

Redwood county gere
A 50cal CVA Frontier
54cal TC New Englander

Can we say "Obsessed"?
we shoot almost every month at Allmans guns in Morristown we had 12 shooters this month. 2nd saturday of the month May through October

What time do ya get started? I'm an hour and a half west of there. Is there a mailing list to get on for when you get together?

What time do ya get started? I'm an hour and a half west of there. Is there a mailing list to get on for when you get together?
we start 9 - 9:30 and go till ? registration is $10 includes lunch. relay's are 50 cents winner splits the pot with the club. kids are free. we shoot rain or shine covered shooting benches. June 10th, July 8th, August 12th, September 9th, October 14th . We quit shooting in Nov and Dec as nobody was busy with deer hunting and holiday's. Jan -April everybody says it's to cold. So my son and I go shoot with another club on the north side of the cities. They only shoot in the winter.

Just north of Crosby a bit. I don't shoot much anymore. I need to step it up some. I have a few ML rifles, one needs a good barrel lapping. Any good smiths in the central MN region?

why do you think it needs to be lapped? and what barrel is it ?
It's a new barrel, that was part of a custom build. The caliber is 54 in NW trade gun style.
I can feel the machining marks when I load it. It takes way to many cleaning patches to get the residue out. The barrel is just to rough. I have not shot it enough to see if the finish is effecting accuracy. But it is for sure effecting cleaning.

Yes it can be done……. I would recommend shooting the hell out of it at least a hundred rounds before I decided to even suggest lapping. If you’re determined to lap it then go ahead you can do it yourself or pay me to do it. The bigger question is how fine you want it to be? You can also fire lap it

Back