North Carolina uniforms

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

JamesT

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all,
I have been researching this topic but havn't found enough detail to suit me. I am hoping some of you reenactors may be more of a subject matter expert.
I am interested particularly in the uniform of the 30th NC Inf. And what would have been issued lets say Fall of 1862 into 1863. I am thinking a jean wool jacket would be suitable opposed to an earlier issue frock? Would it still retain the black epaulettes at this point? Were the uniforms and leather gear made in state as opposed to coming from say Richmond? I have seen a wide array of colors in NC uniforms from grey to almost blue. One I noted was a jacket from the 4th NC that was cadet grey almost blue. Was a kepi still issued at this point in the war?
I hope this clarifies exactly what I am researching. Any detailed information or even photos will be greatly appreciated.

Artificer

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all,
I have been researching this topic but havn't found enough detail to suit me. I am hoping some of you reenactors may be more of a subject matter expert.
I am interested particularly in the uniform of the 30th NC Inf. And what would have been issued lets say Fall of 1862 into 1863. I am thinking a jean wool jacket would be suitable opposed to an earlier issue frock? Would it still retain the black epaulettes at this point? Were the uniforms and leather gear made in state as opposed to coming from say Richmond? I have seen a wide array of colors in NC uniforms from grey to almost blue. One I noted was a jacket from the 4th NC that was cadet grey almost blue. Was a kepi still issued at this point in the war?
I hope this clarifies exactly what I am researching. Any detailed information or even photos will be greatly appreciated.
Many of the questions you have are so specific to one particular unit, I suggest you contact the following unit, as they my already have documentation that will be that specific.

Yes, Kepi's were still being made and issued mid war to late war, though "Non Issue" slouch hats also began to be used around that time.

Aniline dyes became popular in the 1850's that "held" their color for long periods. The availability to get such dyes was pretty much gone by mid war, though. Other older types of dyes might start out with the cloth being Cadet Grey or other kinds of Grey, but oxidized to butternut or other colors from the sun and use in the field.

Frock Coats were pretty much early war only, followed by the very popular "Shell Jackets" and some Roundabouts and finally sack coats. However, before you buy material or buy clothing or have it made, I strongly suggest you use sources like the one above for more specific details for the Regiment.

Deo Vindice,
Gus

Artificer

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
P.S. I'm a little hazy on this, but North Carolina provided clothing and equipment to their Units fighting in the Army of Northern Virginia during the war. I just don't remember how often and where and when. If something their Boys needed did not come directly from their state, then clothing and supplies also came from from the Confederate Government stores in Richmond.

Deo Vindice,
Gus

JamesT

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
P.S. I'm a little hazy on this, but North Carolina provided clothing and equipment to their Units fighting in the Army of Northern Virginia during the war. I just don't remember how often and where and when. If something their Boys needed did not come directly from their state, then clothing and supplies also came from from the Confederate Government stores in Richmond.

Deo Vindice,
Gus
Thanks for the information Gus!

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I am interested particularly in the uniform of the 30th NC Inf. And what would have been issued lets say Fall of 1862 into 1863.
Well you may find a difference between a "field" or "campaign" uniform and a "dress" or "parade" uniform. For example the slouch hat was for most ACW infantry units that had them, strictly a field hat, but in garrison, parade, or a formal function, the kepi would've been worn.

You may find some answers here:
The 30th North Carolina Infantry in The Civil War

BOOK.JPG

LD