• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

North Carolina Contract Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smokin' Joe

32 Cal
Reaction score
Greetings, time for some Civil War rifle love!

This is a Gillam & Miller contract rifle for the State of North Carolina. She is a southern varient of the Model 1841 "Mississippi rifle." She was built with all the care and flaws of those contract pieces. It takes a bit of an effort not to finish her to National armory standards!
She represents an 1863 example.

She is maker marked and carries other nuances in order not to be confused with originals...

Like all of my builds, she is meant to be shot! I shoot with the N-SSA btw. I strongly believe that the best way to teach history and to contemplate competitive black powder shooting is to get people to touch, hold, and pull the trigger.

Hope y'all enjoy a unique rifle ready for the range!

Attachments

• 20200321_111836.jpg
    20200321_111836.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 167
  • 20200508_092041.jpg
    20200508_092041.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 155
  • 20200508_092118.jpg
    20200508_092118.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 155
  • 20200508_092138.jpg
    20200508_092138.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 153
  • 20200508_092201.jpg
    20200508_092201.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 149
Nice, another interesting variation of the Mississippi. The clamping bands give it a unique look. The 1841 was the most handsome of all US percussion arms and there were more modifications and updates done to it than any other arm and that's without even looking at the Confederate copies.

Well now that's three N-SSA guys on this thread.

Fess up guys- what unit?
Palmetto Sharpshooters here

1st Fla Cav Co. A CSA
Really nice job on that rifle, Smokin' Joe!

I was a member of N-SSA for a couple of years, tentatively affiliated with the 24th Georgia unit. I didn't know there was a unit based in Florida, which is where I live. I was still working at that point, when I was in the N-SSA, with very limited free time. I only attended one event, at Brierfield State Park in Alabama in 2011. I had some problems with my rifle, which was a Euroarms C.S. Richmond, and I eventually let my membership in N-SSA lapse. The rifle is a nice looking, piece, but had some major problems with the bore so I had to get the barrel replaced by Dan Whitacre. There were also safety and performance issues with the lock, which I finally had addressed by the guy at Lodgewood Mfg. I haven't even shot it since I got everything fixed. I need to take it to the range, work up a load and sight it in.

Notchy Bob

As an owner/shooter of a finely built 1841 I think that is a beautiful rifle you have there. Its 1841 heritage is obvious. The word "elegant" comes to mind.

Thank you for the kind words. Euroarms are a bit of a mixed bag, more so now that parts have dried up. 1st Fla, is not based in Fl, but mostly around West Virginia, Shenandoah Valley, Northern VA, and a few folks in Maryland. Only the founder was from Florida who came up to the Winchester area in the 1970s.

Did you build that from a Euroarms? Please say no as I have a mint one in the other room and I don't need another learning experience. :D

I hope the Gator Skirmish isn't canceled, I'm looking forward to getting in some shooting this year.

Just the barrel and brass tipped rod are Euroarms. The lock is Zoli, trigger guard, not sure maybe Rifle Shoppe. Trigger, no clue, something Italian... The rear swivel is '42 Armisport. Buttplate and front nosecap, not sure. Probably trades. Ramrod spoon who knows, trades. The bands are Pedersoli. Stock, somekind of walnut, likely European something. Screws are '42 screws... Armisport.

I buy trade parts all the time. I defarb, repair; restore as an aggressive hobby. I like history and things that work!... and put holes where you want them.

The Gator, I may be the one picking up the keg if/when we do. It's a fun shoot, thanks for supporting 1st Fla, and 1st Valley Rangers!

Smokin' Joe, I was just reading your post on the Civil War Talk forum and I hope you'll be posting more of your work here too. BTW Guy Owens was my next door neighbor and all his equipment is still in his shop unused to this day.

That is just cool....thanks for sharing it.

I just bought a 2 band Enfield repro so I could tryout N-ssa or ACWSA competition. Both are pretty active around here.

N-SSA all the way! :D Seriously check both organizations carefully and join the one you feel most comfortable with. Once you have started busting birds and tiles you'll be addicted.

I will check them both out. BTW...do you use that same dog and screen name on an EBR gun forum?

If you mean that black rifle forum I'm not on there. I do go to Civil War Talk but primarily to the subforum MuzzleLoadingYouthTraining (Private Forum).

Mosby is our field breed English Setter, a therapy dog primarily working with children in the PAWS reading program along with our Airedale Spirit. He's also my BF. 😀

That's a good looking dog. Therapy dogs are awesome. He looks pretty familiar, that combined with your screen name reminded me of a poster on ar15.com.

I just discovered Civil war talk. I need ot register over there.

I have to admit, I have never shot a muzzle loading rifle. :doh: Revolvers and BPCR but not a rifle. I'm really looking forward to it.

Hawkeye2 is right! I was preparing to get into 3 gun matches with all WW I era arms, but found the N-SSA just in time to spend my money on black powder competitive shooting. I never looked back! Much more challenging (different) and much more camaraderie! Guys there will help you become a better marksman. Mondern competitive shooting is extremely cutthroat and vicious, hence WWI pieces, just to shake the guys up. Even then, I may not have been allowed due to ever changing range rules. Really, a 1917 S&W .45 revolver isn't allowed to compete with a M1911? Or shotgun snobbery...Know your piece!!!, like all shooting sports. Anyway... too expensive to enter on a regular basis. It turns into a money game after a while...

I'm trying to salvage or build some flintlocks for team matches. The goal is not to miss! (Duh...) Folks that know team matches understand what I'm talking about. I'm restoring an 1817 Common Rifle just for that purpose at fun shoots. It's really what you want to compete with.

Hawkeye 2, if you are still in the area we are neighbors! I'm a few miles down the road from Guy's shop. Never met Guy, just his son; never was able to do business with him unfortunately.

Back