• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Norfolk

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TXSailor

32 Cal
Reaction score
Howdy!

I'm getting set to move to Norfolk, VA, and was looking for a shooting range, and better yet, a community to get involved with.

I'm primarily a modern military centerfire shooter (Garand, M14, ARs, AKs, etc.) but just getting into black powder with a Pedersoli Brown Bess. Are there any good ranges or clubs near Norfolk that allow both black powder and centerfire?

I'm also a huge history nerd, so if there are any shooting clubs and the like involved with reenactments out there, I'd love to learn more about that too!

For Virginia muzzleloading club ranges, all seven,, contact my fellow NMLRA Field Rep, Dave Clark. Mail inquiry to VIRGINIA MUZZLE LOADING RIFLE ASSOCIATION c/o David Clark 214 Bailey Place Danville, VA 24540. or email [email protected]. Or try [email protected], PH# (434) 836-5652. Annual dues ar $10 and you will receive an annual "Shoot Book" listing the scheduled activities of VMLRA affiliated clubs in Virginia and an Association decal.

For cartridge guns contact, David Wells, Eastern Virginia Field Rep NRA at [email protected]. David can put you in touch with numerous clubs in eastern VA.

Hope this helps,

Buck Buchanan
Field Rep-NC
NMLRA

Howdy!

I'm getting set to move to Norfolk, VA, and was looking for a shooting range, and better yet, a community to get involved with.

I'm primarily a modern military centerfire shooter (Garand, M14, ARs, AKs, etc.) but just getting into black powder with a Pedersoli Brown Bess. Are there any good ranges or clubs near Norfolk that allow both black powder and centerfire?

I'm also a huge history nerd, so if there are any shooting clubs and the like involved with reenactments out there, I'd love to learn more about that too!

If rondys are of any interest, there is a nice group with a private campground & woods walk in Surry, VA. Google "Olde Virginia Primitive
Rifles".

Ah yes, that would be a great deal of fun! Though I lack anything period from the Americas, and a Cossack would look well and out of place

Ah yes, that would be a great deal of fun! Though I lack anything period from the Americas, and a Cossack would look well and out of place

There's quite a few on-line retailers that specialize in period clothing and related stuff, if you get the itch. :) Track of the wolf is one:

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/

And of course there's a ton of info, advice, and things for sale right here on this site.

Last edited:
The "OVPR", short for the Old Virginia Primitive Rendezvous, is hosted on the Brock Jones farm outside of Bacon's Castle, VA. Its held in March and late October. About three camps there at the "doin's". The "tavern" in the woods is a gathering place.The host club is the Old Virginia Primitive Riflemen.

An error on my part in my last entry.

"About three hundred camps there at the doins. In March, they allow both "tin tepees" (RV's) and 18th century period tents. In late October, no "tin tepees" allowed. All primitive camping."

C2 in Pungo is the only range that you can use BP all the rest are indoor ranges, of those Freedom shooting center is the best. C2 is very controlled and fairly expensive, by the hour with range stops about 10 minutes each 1/2 hour to set targets. I try to get friendly with people in Chesapeake and along the NC border where we can fire in their yard at our own pace. If you want to do a weekend trip, the state and national forests have nice "primitive" camp areas and outdoor range areas. I used the one out by Blacksburg when my son was at VA Tech.

Back