• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

noob - what do i need, what is a waste of $ ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grenadier1758 is right, 40 grains is way too much for that gun. most of us shoot about 25 in a .44 revolver.

Buy 3F powder, not 2F. 2F burns too slow, will still be burning when the ball exits the short barrel. That 2F's energy will be wated in a fireworks display, not used in pushing your ball.

And do buy one of those little adjustable pistol powder measures, they are fairly cheap and very handy as you work up your ideal load for this pistol.
As others have said loading any black powder firearm directly from the flask is unsafe. You might get away with doing that for a long time (or not), but on the other hand as you enter old age you will still want to have two hands.

I don't see a cleaning rod and jag on your list, but from your remarks it seems likely you have at least the rod.

I disagree about closing the chambers with Crisco. it usually works, but on a hot day the Crisco will be watery and obviously won't work. After that happened to me at a summer time competition shoot a mentor gave me better advice: Use a tube of engine assembly grease from an auto supply store. That always works!

you will, with time, develop a range box. i wasn't keen on these until i forgot my stapler for the third or fourth time. Good luck, and Make good Smoke:)

I don't see a cleaning rod and jag on your list, but from your remarks it seems likely you have at least the rod.

Yup, got all I need as far as generic cleaning equipment

you will, with time, develop a range box. i wasn't keen on these until i forgot my stapler for the third or fourth time. Good luck, and Make good Smoke:)

I've been using my son's diaper bag since he no longer needed it. Eddie Bauer branded, looks good (navy and tan panels), still looks like new, and is apparently bigger on the inside than on the outside.

The black powder stuff will get its own possibles bag eventually.... in the mean time, it gets its own cardboard box with all the BP specific stuff seperated and it gets put in the range cart with my bags and front rest, brass catcher (handy when you have a buddy w/ a tax stamp collection and a very large ammo fort), rifle cases, pistol case, etc.

Couple of things from my wealth of inexperience...
The teardrop shaped capper from Cash is easiest, holds one full tin of caps (100), fills by just pouring in caps and shaking to turn caps upright, gets cap in position easier.
capper.jpg
www.tdcmfg.com. site also has endless gadgets to tempt you for your journey.

Also consider joining National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association, a good group although it will fan the flames of addiction to the sport! Consider budgeting for a trip to the Friendship fall meet in Indiana, you will never look back.

Now you can go down the rabbit hole of load size, wads vs filler, crisco vs lard vs beeswax mix, lube over or under ball...

I use thicker lube, BPCR in fact as Crisco blows off adjacent chambers too easy. That leave less lube to soften fouling.

Yes 2F is still burning when the ball leaves the barrel but what is wrong with that? I think there is nothing wrong with a little extra sparks, boom, and fire.

I wish I only had one range box, lol

I have one for .31 caliber, one for .36 caliber and another for .44 caliber cap-and-ball percussion revolvers, as well as another for my caplock rifles

I wish I only had one range box, lol

I have one for .31 caliber, one for .36 caliber and another for .44 caliber cap-and-ball percussion revolvers, as well as another for my caplock rifles
My ocd won't let me do any less than stack n latch organizers for this "toy heavy" part of the shooting sports. I envy those that can toss everything in a possibles bag and head for the range.

wm

Latest posts

Back