• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Non Wipers Only.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The MAP sounds swell and all . I've heard nothing but good stuff about it. However I'm still leery of one of the ingredients if used by itself. But so far ,on this forum anyway, most everyone seems to think Peroxide is safe to use. I have read where it will take the blueing off of a gun if left for several minutes. I've been assured it will not hurt the gun in anyway, but one cant help but wonder??
If you just use peroxide as a cleaner, it will cause all kinds of rust. But when you combine it with Murphy's oil soap and alcohol (The MA of MAP), it causes a chemical change that helps the mixture clean easily and thoroughly without causing any rust. I've used MAP exclusively for the last 18-years or so and there's no rust to be found on my rifles. Tried the MA-only part of the MAP once and it didn't work very well. Just mix equal parts of each and you'll be fine.

I participated in a lot of reenactments when I lived in Vermont and Virginia (17-years). Got to be that a bunch of the guys would come by my tent and ask if they could use my MAP to clean their guns too. Ended up having to keep an extra quart of it in my car to refill the period bottle that I kept in my gunning box, which held about a pint of the stuff. Typically the reenactments were 2-day affairs, but I would run out if I didn't have that extra hiding in my car.

Twisted_1in66 :thumb:
Dan

Some good tips here for that don’t and those that do. Hopefully will shoot a 20 plus string with a different rifle this Saturday in a pack in event. Will try my 50 flint rifle with no wiping and see how that goes.

I'm contemplating trying WWF as a lube. What I have available is winter de-icer washer fluid. It's not "blue" exactly but more of a bluish purple. Anyone know if this stuff will work? I don't want to damage the bore but it is cheap.

I'm contemplating trying WWF as a lube. What I have available is winter de-icer washer fluid. It's not "blue" exactly but more of a bluish purple. Anyone know if this stuff will work? I don't want to damage the bore but it is cheap.
I have been using the -40 blue stuff. About 50% methanol with a ph of about 10. Doesn’t hurt automobile finishes, so I don’t see how it could hurt the bore of your gun. Best to check what it does to wood finish. Don’t know if the high methanol content is part of the reason why it works. Don’t usually see the low temp blue stuff available in the Carolinas. Usually rated to 32F. I have purchased what I use up north near the Canadian border (Upstate NY) where I believe all they sell is the low temp formula.

I've never used a windshield de-icer on either the pickup windshield or as a bore cleaner or lube. Where I live we have no real need of a de-icer. I have used just regular WWF as a cleaner but not as a lube. I hadnt had any problem with it, but we'll let some other folks who tried the de-icer to give us their 2 cents on the subject.

Never thought of using windshield washer fluid as a patch lube, nor ever cleaned my ML with it. I have used windex to wipe with at the range, with great success I might add. I have only ever cleaned with simply water, and likely its the cheapest cleaner.
Walk

Never thought of using windshield washer fluid as a patch lube, nor ever cleaned my ML with it. I have used windex to wipe with at the range, with great success I might add. I have only ever cleaned with simply water, and likely its the cheapest cleaner.
Walk

Try windex with vinegar.
No windex with ammonia

My 36 with a GM barrel definitely does not have deep grooves. I was at the local surplus store today and noticed they had a few pints of WWF concentrate if that sparks any ideas.

Yea save the bore butter for toast or hotcakes. Thats nasty stuff in your gun bbl

Hi there. Had a friend,who back in the 70s, bought a Pennsylvania style .45 Percussion gun. He used pyrodex exclusively, and one of them plastic cups below the ball. He was already old and only lasted probably 10 more years. Being the barrel was hard to remove,He cleaned the gun with a little tube hooked to the nipple in a bucket of hot water and just patches. The gun passed on to a friend of mine who still occasionally shoots it, and as far as I know it's fine. I received a Thompson Ctr., Hawkins style .50 Percussion when I turned 50 years old by my kids. After much study, I used Thompson Center 1000+ for all the loading and cleaning. Now being the barrel would come off, I hot watered it first and then scrubbed it with 1000+. It worked for me I guess, because I Always ran a couple of patches, lubed with 1000+, the following day.I didn't clean between shots For hunting.
Still use the same treatment on my flintlock Some 20 years later, But I've been using straight Murphy's oil for patch lube. It seemed to dry up some in my container, but they still didn't burn. Now I set up a bunch of patches, (that I cut square about, 1 and 1/8th by 1 and 1/8,) With Hoppe's number #9 blackpowder Lube and cleaner. It's pretty thick stuff, so I'll see what happens in about 10 days. For competitive shooting, I like shooting with a fouled barrel, Having no problem loading, Usually shooting 12 to 15 shots. I used to wipe between every shot, but being as how a fouled barrel doesn't shoot the same impact as a dirty one, I quit Doing that. For hunting I usually use a clean barrel with the sights Adjusted accordingly. I haven't convinced myself that I can leave the barrel uncleaned Overnight with anything but 1000+. Hopefully I can figure it out before October.
Some things work for you just because you don't know any better.
Squint

Got a few questions for someone out there. I bought a brand of Windshield Washer Fluid thats differant from my usual. The label stated this product contains "No VOCs".What are VOCs? Now question number 2. Now and then my wife goes through my old T shirts ( white cotton) and tells me to get rid of the "holey" ones.I usually use the rags to wash the car. I already have a large bag full of patches for my 45 cals. I figured I'd make a bagful of patches for the 50 cal. How much bigger are 50 patches compared to 45 ? I've been using 1 1/8 by 1 1/8.

VOC's - "Volitile Organic Compounds" emit gases into the surrounding air, such as how paint, glue or epoxy emit fumes. --->>> https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volatile_organic_compound

You're lucky if tee shirt patches work well for you.
I would be concerned that each patch would have a different thickness since tees don't often wear out evenly.
I only use tees for cleaning patches because I won a TC dry patch lottery years ago.
Their tight weave and high thread count makes them durable enough to not stretch, tear or burn.

Last edited:
Sorry I didnt state that. Yes these are Cleaning patches.

I usually cut them by hand and trim the size as needed.
Using a patch loop or an undersized .41 jag to be able to use over-sized patches which are very forgiving especially when reversed in the bore.
So I cut large shotgun size cleaning patches, maybe 2-3" X 3-4"

So I guess old cotton undergarments are good for something. Glad to see I'm not the only one who does that. I never could see the point in buying a bag of rags.

Using over-sized patches and a small jag, the way the patch is folded and the number of folds determines how tight it is in the bore.
Also how much it's saturated with liquid.
Usually it gets folded 2-3 times unless using a large loop.
Carry scissors too.
And also a hooked patch worm if a patch is lost inside the bore, but that's not very common.
Using a large patch loop is easier. ;)

Last edited:
Back