• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Non toxic shot in ML

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Checked Zonie's post and okay to dicuss. Does anyone know which type(s) of non toxic shot is safe to use in a ML. I know you can use plastic shot cups for steel and I assume any others but wondering about shot without the cups. Wondering especially about TC New Englander 12 gauge and/or Pedersoli shotgun. Thanks for any info.

Use Bismuth. No cup required & won't hurt your barrel. You can't get steel to a high enough velocity to reliably kill waterfowl anyway.

Yes, use bismuth shot. I make my own as you see in my Avatar picture, #4 bismuth just dropped from my Oasis shot maker. You can buy the shot from the following places.
Rotometals. Zip Metals, Ballistic Products. Do a type search for those companies.
You can shoot other shot types and I have. But they still require a shot cup. They are, Tungsten Shot, which includes Hevi Shot, Hevi Weight 13, 15, TSS which is heavy weight 18, Nice Shot which is made from a Tungsten slury material which is soft like lead but can be mildly abrasive. I have shot all of these over 20 years and bismuth/tin the best. The bismuth/tin shot we have today is better than it was 20 years ago. Most commercial mixture is 5% to 6% tin mixed in with bismuth. Very close to lead like performance. You need to go up 1 shot size though unless shooting very close. Good shooting.

I agree, that Hevi Shot is better and heavier than lead but having to use a thick steel shot type shotcup to protect you bore is a real pain. I always used a thick leather wad under the thick plastic shotcup to protect the base of the wad against powder burn. However that was over a decade ago before I started to make my own bismuth shot.

Use Bismuth. No cup required & won't hurt your barrel. You can't get steel to a high enough velocity to reliably kill waterfowl anyway.

I also suggest you use bismuth. You can kill them with steel, but you have to go up in shot size. If in a modern gun you use #3 steel, #1 steel will provide similar penetration in a muzzleloader. Due to poor pattern density, ranges would have to be kept very short.

Bismuth. Go up one size in shot. No need for shotcups. Safe for all barrels unlike steel shot (actually it's a soft iron) or tungsten. Kills nearly as well as lead. Downside is cost.

about how many shots per lb for Bismuth? 20GA average load
Well, I am going to guess there is probably 16 one ounce loads in a pound. And as the Bismuth is a bit lighter than lead, the pellet count will be a bit higher for that ounce of Bismuth than in an ounce of lead, everything else being equal.

And add another vote in favor of the RotoMetals Bismuth/tin shot. I have collected a lot of ducks and a few geese with it. But it is a bit spendy.

Last edited:
Geez, if my memory is correct that will be about $1.10 per shot! (7lb jar for $110.00 ish on sale).

Unfortunately that is the price to pay for hunting game that requires nontox shot. Price some modern nontox shotshells sometime. Steel is cheaper, but quite frankly it is barely adequate in modern shotguns and is a very poor performer from muzzleloaders.

Rotometals sells their good quality Bismuth Tin for $154 for 10 lbs. They ship for free at that price level. Again, assuming one ounce loads, that is 160 shots, so a hair less than a buck a pop. A bit more if you are stuck here in Cali and therefor have to throw in another 7% sales tithe for the Governor.

Back