• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Non-Toxic Roundballs?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't completely buy the lead poisoning thing. Ravens are the most prolific scavengers in the woods. Where are the dead ravens killed by lead ingestion. I've seen the photos of eagles. The same photos on different sites. I believe that most of the lead ingested by the condors came from pollution from China. Those birds spend a lot of time in the stratosphere breathing pollution.
same here, the injestion issue makes no sense , they have a short intestine track, what ever they eat thats not absorbed shoots out the other end fast. I have a feeling there is something else going on thats purposly overlooked to takeawy munition

DOC, it's pretty hard to work and win, when corruption and fraud is how they play. We aren't sniveling and bitching like little girls and we resent that statement! I didn't put on a damned uniform and fight in '68 & '69 for this kind of Country, and I damned sure am not going to shut up and not voice what is wrong. Those that do nothing and are silent deserve what they get.
Now, that being said...I wish you a good day sir.
No kidding talk about calaberators
Have fun with your science god ism!

OldMaineWoods and Mustang65 It’s called politics in 2020 we came out on the short end. Now we’re paying for it. Science doesn’t mean much when politicians are in play. But we can live with it instead of sniveling and bitching like little girls. Let’s work and win in 2022 and 2024.
Doc,
Jack wagon!

It is against Federal law to shoot at any waterfowl anywhere in the 50 states with lead shot ANYWHERE. It is also against Federal law to shoot any projectile from a rifle from or over water in all 50 states. Shooting lead shot from a canoe at squirrels on water falls through the cracks of the law. Personally I don't agree with ANY of this and would NEVER, NEVER turn anyone in for it. But it is what it is.

I have two very good acquaintances who I can trust (but would string me up in a heart beat for a fish/game violation). One is an Illinois DNR Officer and one is a US Fish and Wildlife Service Officer. That's where I get my info as well as being a longtime member of PF and DU.
This is the statement tha you made that is untrue: "It is also against Federal law to shoot any projectile from a rifle from or over water in all 50 states." If you're talking lead projectile that may be!!

OldMaineWoods and Mustang65 It’s called politics in 2020 we came out on the short end. Now we’re paying for it. Science doesn’t mean much when politicians are in play. But we can live with it instead of sniveling and bitching like little girls. Let’s work and win in 2022 and 2024.
Doc,
I'm not sniveling or bitching. I vote. In fact, I actually knocked on doors to help convince neighbors to vote for now Governor Youngkin. I have not done that for a candidate in a long time.

I also wrote well researched letters regarding the negative impact any lead ammunition ban would have on hunters and the sporting lodge/guide industry to elected officials in both Maine and New York. I like to think that helped in a small way since both bills were either defeated or shelved.

According to Rural Radio on Sirius XM, approximately 450-500,000 hunters and firearms owners do not vote. Why?

There lies the problem.

I'm not sniveling or bitching. I vote. In fact, I actually knocked on doors to help convince neighbors to vote for now Governor Youngkin. I have not done that for a candidate in a long time.

I also wrote well researched letters regarding the negative impact any lead ammunition ban would have on hunters and the sporting lodge/guide industry to elected officials in both Maine and New York. I like to think that helped in a small way since both bills were either defeated or shelved.

According to Rural Radio on Sirius XM, approximately 450-500,000 hunters and firearms owners do not vote. Why?

There lies the problem.
Well said OMW!!

Oh for crying out loud, the link you posted is some commercial site. It is not a govt site. Here is the code#, offense, and scheduled fine amount for taking deer on public water in Alabama based on APPENDIX B. SUPREME COURT’S EXTENDED SCHEDULE OF FINES -

9-11-250 Taking deer from public water $500
That refers to shooting a deer that is in public water.

Ala. Admin. Code r. 220-2-.11​

Download
PDF
Current through Register Vol. 40, No. 9, June 30, 2022
Section 220-2-.11 - Prohibited Methods And Devices For Hunting(1) It shall be unlawful to concentrate, drive, rally, molest or to hunt, take, capture or kill or attempt to hunt, take, capture or kill any bird or animal from or by the aid of: (a) Any automobile, motorcar, airplane, train, motorboat, sailboat or any type mechanically propelled device, or any other device being operated in conjunction with any of the above-mentioned devices of transportation. Provided, however, that nothing in this regulation shall prevent hunting from a floating craft (except a sinkbox), including those propelled by motor, sail and wind, or both, when the motor of such craft has been completely shut off and/or the sails furled, as the case may be, its progress therefrom has ceased, and it is drifting, beached, moored, resting at anchor, or it is being propelled by paddle, oars or pole, and provided further that nothing in this regulation shall prevent the taking of game birds and game animals from any stationary motor vehicle or stationary motor driven land conveyance provided any forward motion is ceased and engine is shut off. Nothing in this regulation allows the hunting, taking or killing or attempting to hunt, take or kill any bird of animal from any vehicle on a public

There is no federal law that prohibits shooting a rifle over water.
Prove me wrong. Put up or shut up.

Last edited:
Thank NF, now you started a war! First it was a federal law, then you're showing hunting law in Alabama. And we all know that states have different hunting laws. Hearsay...gossip....please, just facts.:ThankYou:

Can you shoot a deer from a boat in Alabama?

Persons may hunt from a floating craft or motor vehicle once the motor is shut off and all forward motion has ceased. It is not legal to hunt from a vehicle on a public road.
View attachment 149298
Official Hunting & Fishing Seasons & Rules › pro...

Prohibited Methods of Hunting - Alabama Hunting - eRegulations

Born and raised in Nebraska, forty five years ago moved to Oregon. Was in shock while bank fishing on the Rogue River, saw three guys with shotguns in a drift-boat pull up taking a break they were duck hunting (legal to shoot from moving boat). While I was pulling plugs in my drift-boat saw a guy standing with shotgun in the river ( no cover only blind was bank fisherman above him one below) yes he was duck hunting. The two bank fishermen look at me shaking their heads, talk to a state trooper patrolling the area so I ask and yes It was legal.

Born and raised in Nebraska, forty five years ago moved to Oregon. Was in shock while bank fishing on the Rogue River, saw three guys with shotguns in a drift-boat pull up taking a break they were duck hunting (legal to shoot from moving boat). While I was pulling plugs in my drift-boat saw a guy standing with shotgun in the river ( no cover only blind was bank fisherman above him one below) yes he was duck hunting. The two bank fishermen look at me shaking their heads, talk to a state trooper patrolling the area so I ask and yes It was legal.
Thank you for that comment. It clarifies the fact that not all states have the same laws. And then some folks put mouth in gear before brain. Again, thank you and hopefully this clears things up.

When I was a kid in the '50's and '60's, bald eagles were extremely rare to nonexistent where I lived. Thanks to the ban on DDT, they're doing well today. However, lead (smaller than a grain of rice) ingested especially by waterfowl and scavengers (vultures and birds of prey) are affected by the lead we shoot. California's lead problems seem to me to be unique. Weren't the California Condors' population down to a dozen birds or so at one time? Lead from unrecovered animals or lead shards left in gutted out animals has been been shown to end up in scavengers' bodies resulting in their death. At least in habitats that Condors live in, I'm for a lead ban there. It is not unusual at all to see stories of lead poisoning in bald eagles that are cared for in Raptor Recovery hospitals in my state. Lead poisoning happens and is real.
lead ??,,they took urine samples from 2000 random people..1/ 3rd children...80% of them had the chemicals in there pee that are in round up and fertilizer,,,the little seeds you plant in your organic??? garden ..have a little red coating on them,,that stimulates growth and prevents bugs from eating the little plant,,that coating is that chemical....its in your food and in the soil and water that everyone eats,,,plus theres polyester in the water and ground from washing your clothes,,,mercury from the solar panels and factory run off,,,every copper pipe in your house is lead soldered,,or if you have pvc,,,,,sorry ya got me started,,,gonna go back to making primers now,,at least i know they have lead acid on them..and when they ban lead you can always melt down some old book ends..most were lead or a lead composite ..look in your house the stuff is everywhere,,gun bans ,lead bans,,soon it will be 3d printers,,,dont print out a gun or a bullet,,oh wait they already are,, lol

lead ??,,they took urine samples from 2000 random people..1/ 3rd children...80% of them had the chemicals in there pee that are in round up and fertilizer,,,the little seeds you plant in your organic??? garden ..have a little red coating on them,,that stimulates growth and prevents bugs from eating the little plant,,that coating is that chemical....its in your food and in the soil and water that everyone eats,,,plus theres polyester in the water and ground from washing your clothes,,,mercury from the solar panels and factory run off,,,every copper pipe in your house is lead soldered,,or if you have pvc,,,,,sorry ya got me started,,,gonna go back to making primers now,,at least i know they have lead acid on them..and when they ban lead you can always melt down some old book ends..most were lead or a lead composite ..look in your house the stuff is everywhere,,gun bans ,lead bans,,soon it will be 3d printers,,,dont print out a gun or a bullet,,oh wait they already are,, lol
I agree with you sir. Sounds like someone lives in a bubble, and it isn't you and me.

Just an obvious question; Has anyone here (from CA) actually been checked while muzzle loading by a game warden? While they can look at what ammo is in your pockets, have they made you pull the ball that's down the bore?

Ancillary to that; If you cast your own bismuth round balls, do they look substantially different than lead? That said, would an average game warden know the difference? How would you prove in court that the load you had down the bore (or in your pockets) is bismuth and not lead? (I imagine that most guys that cast and shoot bismuth also cast and shoot lead when they're practicing.)

Just an obvious question; Has anyone here (from CA) actually been checked while muzzle loading by a game warden? While they can look at what ammo is in your pockets, have they made you pull the ball that's down the bore?

Ancillary to that; If you cast your own bismuth round balls, do they look substantially different than lead? That said, would an average game warden know the difference? How would you prove in court that the load you had down the bore (or in your pockets) is bismuth and not lead? (I imagine that most guys that cast and shoot bismuth also cast and shoot lead when they're practicing.)
Lead detection technology is out there. Here is a kit you can buy at Lowe’s.
1658453202824.png

Bald eagles eat fish. They also enjoy road kill and deer carcasses. Thanks to a very large deer population and nearly constant availability of white tail carcasses, we now have nesting bald eagles that I see quite frequently. One killed one of my chickens this spring between the house and barn. We've placed butchered deer carcasses in the same spot each year just for the eagles. They might be rare somewhere, but it isn't N.E. Missouri.

We also see eagles in the managed waterfowl hunting areas where they enjoy picking off crippled waterfowl. Useful scavengers and fun to watch. Until they eat YOUR chickens.

In New York State I have had Conservation Officers check all the shotshells on my person while duck hunting.

In Virginia they typically just check your license, stamps, and firearm. They always ask about my shotgun and how old it is.

@centershot

When it comes to pass, try bismuth. Close to the same density of lead. A little bit harder than lead. Melts easily with home casting equipment. Can be more tiresome to cast but.... it is available at RotoMetals and will keep you in the game. And bismuth (95% bismuth, 5% tin) passes any and all non-toxic regs in all 50 states. I use bismuth for all my waterfowl hunting. Kills just like lead used to decades ago. Expensive, but great stuff. I understand you are likely taking about roundballs, not shot. Bismuth will cast a roundball in a mold just like lead. It's great problem is that it expands as it cools.
I'm thankful in my Australian state we get a lead exemption when using muzzleloader's

Latest posts

Back