• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Non-symmetrical cast ball

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got a .40 cal rifle and the .390 mould I'm using for it casts non-symmetrical ball. Measured with the sprue up, on the horizontal one measurement will be .390 but when the ball is turned 90 degrees the measurement will be .396. Will this six thousands difference cause issues to find a proper patch thickness/seal or accuracy issues?

Is it wider at the parting line or 90 degrees from it? Can you see the parting line on the ball between the two halves of the mold after it is cast?
It shouldn't make any difference. Your ball isn't going to be perfectly round by the time it is shot out of the barrel anyway. If it is soft lead, it will conform to patch and barrel when loaded.

Is it wider at the parting line or 90 degrees from it? Can you see the parting line on the ball between the two halves of the mold after it is cast?
It shouldn't make any difference. Your ball isn't going to be perfectly round by the time it is shot out of the barrel anyway. If it is soft lead, it will conform to patch and barrel when loaded.
I’ll check after work tonight where the wider part is in relation to the parting line. To clarify, these aren’t fat from the mould not being tightly closed...there’s no “fin” on the parting line.

I would like to say that it's better to have a perfectly symmetrical ball but, when thinking (sometime I do) correctly I see that the thiknes of a Black hair is (sorry I'm talkin' in millimeters) 0.07mm and a blond hair is only 0.04mm, considering the fact that you are going to shoot with greased patches in cotton no rectificated and so with some variations, that after the first shoot the barrel have residues etc, etc. I think your default of only 0,15mm (twoo black hairs twisted together) wont have any influence at the level of the accuracy, conformation and no more for stability when flying...

Perhaps I'm wrong but this is what I'm thinking 'bout what seems a "false problem" (for me)...

Like saids Griz44Mag : "Shoot it and enjoy". :)

OK, I fell for that one and grabbed grandpas machinist mic,
I am blonde (German) - .0018"
My wife is black headed (Latino) .0026"
My dog is Jack Russel - .0032"

Lesson to be learned? Keep your dog away from your shooting patches.....

Just about every mold I've ever used had at least some slight inconsistency, some a great deal. My Lyman .445" mold will measure from .442" to .445"; but the ball shoots very well. Yes it will be misshapen after it's seated. So IMO it's a non-issue.

Back