• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Non-Lead projectiles for hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Given the above action taken today, I was asked to repost this on another forum, thought it might be of interest here again as well, for anyone needing to consider non-lead projectiles.
I did some research, range testing, and took a deer last year using a solid brass ball in my .58cal Early Virginia....here are the details...somewhat lengthy:
=================================================

071012SolidBrass5625RoundBalls.jpg

SIZE TESTING APPROACH
Sized 20 with steel Dial Calipers, 3-4 different axis measurements per ball.
Sizes seemed identical no matter which way I tried to measure them.
I even then locked the dial caliper jaws open at .5625" and repeatedly picked up & dropped the balls through the jaws knowing they'd be going through on a different axis each time.
None ever hung up, further substantiating the consistent measurements, nothing out of round, etc.

WEIGHT TESTING APPROACH
Weighing 20 of them they all came in just about perfectly at 201 grains.
A couple were 200.8 grains, a couple were 201.3 grains, the rest dead on 201 grains.
Only a fraction of a grain variance which is virtually no weight variance at all, and far more consistent than typical lead balls.

MY INITIAL TEST SUMMARY
Extremely high quality / consistent brass balls in both size & weight.
Basically .562" round balls at 201 grains.
No question that these solid brass balls will pose no risk in loading & fitting my .58cal/.580" bore.
Essentially a 200grn projectile, it falls between a .50cal/175 and .54cal/225 in ball weight.
Plus, with the added benefit of a larger frontal area at .562" diameter I’m confident that it'll get the job done on an eastern whitetail at typical woods distances.

All that remains is to test powder charge & patch thickness for an accurate deer hunting load.
This should turn out to be a readily available, high quality, non-toxic PRB out of a .58cal.

=================================================
RANGE REPORT - JULY 12, 2012
.58cal Non-Toxic Brass Balls as PRB's in place of lead PRBs

EQUIPMENT
TVM Early Virginia
Rice 38" D-weight .58cal x 1:72" x .016" round bottom grooves;
Chambers Deluxe Siler / Davis DST;
Sights previously zeroed at 50yds for 100grn Goex 2F PRB deer load;

NON-TOXIC BRASS BALL TEST USING SAME SIGHTS / SAME SIGHT PICTURE
Goex 4F prime
Goex 2F main
.62cal Duro-Felt OP wad, lubed with NL1000
.028" Cotton Duck patch, lubed with NL1000
.5625" Solid Brass Ball from 'Online Metals'
Weight = 201 grains

TESTS CONDUCTED FROM BENCH REST
100grns Goex 2F = 1+1/4" ragged hole at 50yds...POI=dead center
MV=1367 fps

120grns Goex 2F = 2" group at 50yds...POI=1.5" above dead center
MV=1611 fps

FINDINGS / CONCLUSIONS
An outstanding non-toxic PRB substitute;
Zero loading and shooting problems;
Extremely accurate & consistent...easily as much, if not more so than lead balls;
Significant penetration, traveling through 21" of tightly packed / shredded rubber mulch;
Recovered balls showed zero damage what-so-ever;
Recovered balls had zero change in ball dimensions, verified with calipers;
Balls can be reused if captured in a medium like this to cut down costs;

I hope to get a deer with it this fall for some first hand field results.
But based on my experiences, I have no doubts this non-toxic PRB sub will get it done.

So if states continue to ban the use of lead projectiles in various hunting areas, know that at least one very viable alternative is readily available in the form of solid brass balls for the .58cal.
Considering that...AND the proven outstanding ragged hole accuracy for weekend practice shooting using penny apiece 9/16" marbles out of a .58cal...the changing hunters environment might now be more to think about when making a caliber selection for the future than we've had to do in the past.

In my own case, for continued weekend shooting practice/enjoyment and deer hunting, lead could be banned from the face of the earth tomorrow and I wouldn’t miss a beat with a .58cal on hand.

=======================================
Once fired (1X) balls in the photo were recovered after passing through 21 inches of rubber mulch in a cardboard trap box I made and don’t have a mark on them, no changes in dimensions, patches are perfect. Will be field testing them on deer in the next few weeks.
(UPDATE: I ACTUALLY USED ONE OF THESE ONCE FIRED BALLS TO TAKE A DEER IN LATE OCTOBER, 2012)

071212-1xBrassBallsPatches.jpg

071912LoadingBlock58calBrassPRBs.jpg

There ought to be a clause where muzzleloaders are exempt. It's quite difficult to load all copper bullets into my percussion revolver!

I've seen some sort of non lead ball for use in muzzleloaders, though I'm not certain they make balls to fit most of the guns available, but would those work in a cap n ball that needs to shave a ring?

I would tell them to go pound sand!! :youcrazy: Liberal pinko commies. They're so stupid out there it unreal. I wonder if they have a law on how to go to the bathroom. :slap: :td: I would keep on using a lead ball, if the game warden asks me to pull the load an check I would tell him theres no way cause I have a brass ball and I can't pull the load, and the only way to unload is to shoot it and let him go try an find it. I know Claude lives there and so do a few more members. But Sacramento needs to have a 100 yard asteroid to hit it and put the rest of the country out of our misery from hearing about they're stupidity.

My wife has wanted me to consider moving to CA. Nah...

I am by no means liberal (I took the test as well), but I do love animals and nature, especially when I can eat it! I do love nature though and try to do my part...

“There is no legitimate reason for hunters or sportsmen and women to have battlefield-style rifles that can quickly spray dozens and dozens of rounds through the rapid reloading of detachable magazines,” Steinberg said, noting those kinds of weapons have been used in some recent mass killings.

:eek:ff Sorry, I know this is off-topic but was part of the article in the original post. Drives me nuts when others try to determine a legitimate reason" for all the rest of us. Heck, if I reviewed Mr Steinberg's daily life, I bet I could come up with numerous items for which I would think there is no "legitimate reason" why he should have or do something.

Hopefully this will be like vehicle emissions and California will keep the higher restrictions to themselves.

Now might be the time to invest in a mold or two and a lead melting pot.

Of course the NMLRA will be bringing their full resources to bear to battle the legislation.

I can testify that forest rangers, Dept. Fish and Game officers will inspect your gear. Especially aggressive during the fishing season, since anglers often don't know the many and minute rules about limits, which change from stream to stream and area to area.

If you are in the field, with a licensee, and lead you will get caught unless you walk softly secret and silent. The fines are enormous!

Patocazador said:
2 questions:

What is the BHN (Brinnel Hardness Number) for these?

What was the cost?
.34cents each and they're obviously reusable.
Google "Online Metals" and you can see the specs for the particular grade of ball (see label in photo)

NOTE:
Specifically in the case of California, talking with their Wildlife Dept last year, the only ammo that can be used for hunting has to be on a pre-approved list.

Companies can fill out / submit an application on their website for review and possible approval to get on that list.
My tests have no relationship to California other than the anti-lead mentality there got me looking into non-lead alternatives simply as a personal project of curiosity.

Except that "OnLine Metals" may never know about or have any interest in "applying to California for such review & approval".
Now, some enterprising individual businessman...like Claude who lives there...could get behind this and if he got approval from California Wildlife, become the driving force behind getting a volume from 'OnLine Metals' and become a distributor for them in California.
He could become one the vendors at the top of the MLF.

This could be a measurable set-back to traditional muzzleoading for sure unless some viable non-lead alternatives get approved in different calibers for use out there...and give legitimate leverage to fence sitters to get a modern ML for which the Barnes Company already makes solid copper bullets

Very interesting. Looks like Online Metals sells them in diameters that would work in a .32, .36, .45, and .58. Do you know of a source that sells ones that would work in a .50 and a .54?

armakiller said:
...I have a brass ball and I can't pull the load...
That's something to keep in mind as well.

At the time I searched I was mainly looking for at least something as big as a .58cal to keep some weight for deer hunting, knowing that brass would be a good bit lighter than lead.
.58cal Example is basically: 270grns for lead, 200grns for Brass...and the smaller the caliber, the more of an issue it becomes for deer.

As long as precision manufactured balls of the right size are used getting stuck won't be the issue.
A dry ball or contaminated powder in a straight breech plug that would allow a dry ball to go past / cover the vent so powder or compressed air couldn't be used to blow it out could be a problem.
Fortunately, using barrels with patent breeches (which all mine are) the ball stops well above the vent so its not an issue with them.

Back