• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Noisy shooting - just for the hell of it!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Some of you here might have heard of the gigantic handguns - or very short and equally Paul Bunyan-like carbines - that come under the category of Bollerschuetzen.

Often with bores approaching a couple of inches, and loaded up with a 'few hundred grains or so' of cannon powder, these 'salute guns' are shot up in the air to celebrate any special occasion imaginable here it's Christmas, but it equally be a birthday, birth or wedding - sometimes just for the fun of it - in the Bavarian Tyrol.

I'll let you be the judge of how much fun it can be, making noise and using up a year's worth of powder in a few minutes...

Watch -

Some of you here might have heard of the gigantic handguns - or very short and equally Paul Bunyan-like carbines - that come under the category of Bollerschuetzen.

Often with bores approaching a couple of inches, and loaded up with a 'few hundred grains or so' of cannon powder, these 'salute guns' are shot up in the air to celebrate any special occasion imaginable here it's Christmas, but it equally be a birthday, birth or wedding - sometimes just for the fun of it - in the Bavarian Tyrol.

I'll let you be the judge of how much fun it can be, making noise and using up a year's worth of powder in a few minutes...

Watch -

I never knew such salute guns existed. I bet a poacher could make good use of such full of #4 bird shot , especially in carbine length !

Beautiful landscape.

I thought that nobody really wore lederhosen until I was over there for work in a. college town while their spring festival was going on.

Loved the echo round the mountains. Up at the hunting camp here in the Pa. mountains , in hunting season with few leaves on the trees , the echo is special. Grandpa gave my son had a cannon when he was a youngster . He and his neighborhood friend could easily be located as they would fire the cannon through the day up on the mountains. 200 + Gr. FFG, can be heard for a couple miles away. It kept them out of trouble , and powder was $5 a pound , back then.

Beautiful landscape.

I thought that nobody really wore lederhosen until I was over there for work in a. college town while their spring festival was going on.
And the Biergarten madchen really do look like this!
4DEC46E4-DF1D-41CF-9E22-DEA9BDB88676.jpeg

Some of them anyway…

Thanks for the post. Never heard of a salute pistol before.

i like muzzleloader blasts. Every fourth of July and New Years eve i load a muzzleloader with 200 grains of Black MZ powder and tamp it with toilet paper. Last New Years got pretty loud in our neighborhood. After i fired the muzzleloader off there was dead silence for a minute.

i like muzzleloader blasts. Every fourth of July and New Years eve i load a muzzleloader with 200 grains of Black MZ powder and tamp it with toilet paper. Last New Years got pretty loud in our neighborhood. After i fired the muzzleloader off there was dead silence for a minute.
A buddy of mine makes fireworks. Licensed and everything. He typically launches a few 1/4# shells randomly throughout the year. Big flash and a boom 300’ off the ground. For the most part his neighbors enjoy the diversion…

I had the same experience years ago on New Year's eve. At a friend's house on one of the Gulf Islands, we loaded up my little cannon (2.5" bore) with about 300 gr of powder, then rammed a bore-size wad of damp newspaper about 3" deep hard down onto it. Near midnight, it sounded like a war in the area as all the firearms were popping off. The cannon went off with a huge roar and muzzle flash---and all of the other guns fell silent for about a minute before the next tentative 'pop?' was heard. Meanwhile, we were sitting inside by the fire sipping suitable beverages, and congratulating ouselves that the mounties would never figure where the big bang originated. Next morning however (without having had a police visit), we looked out and to our dismay, the trees for about 100' down the driveway were festively draped in shredded newspaper!

Latest posts

Back