• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Noisemaker - Small Cannon or Mortar?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been using my Hawken as a 4th of July noisemaker and have been thinking about adding a small cannon or mortar. From what I have seen and can afford, I'm considering a cannon in the 50-69 cal range with about a 4-6" barrel, or a mortar with a 3/4"-1" bore. Never fired either of these before and I don't know anyone who has.
From what I know of blackpowder, the mortar should be louder due to the bigger bore, but the longer barrel on the cannons should burn the powder a bit more completely. Also I'm guessing there is a difference in the sound quality from a shorter bore mortar. If you have any thoughts on this based on experience, I'd like to hear them.
Thanks.

Mortars tend to have smaller powder chambers, more for lobbing objects. Firing well packed wads can make a lot of noise. and would be my first choice. A thunder mug, if you can find one, would be better. I have several small annon, and the 50's and under just don't do a thing. I have an old 75 cal signal cannon, and that can bark louder than my winchester 10 ga blank cannon. A thunder mug with a 1 inch bore and ten inch deep bore is deafening. I do have a 1.25 inch bore cannon. I packed it up with leather wads and fired it twice. The concussion broke a neighbor's window, a half mile away. Almost too loud, for a noise maker in a neighborhood.

How about a "Big Bang" cannon. They are pretty loud, and a bit less expensive than a black powder replica. A couple tubes of "Bangsite" and a couple Zippo flints and you be keeping the bats awake for days.

Well the mortar sounds interesting. Never had one so that would be something new. Don't want to be paying for new windows but I can always back off the charge.

I've got the biggest Big Bang cannon they make. It's kinda kool and barks like a .38 when you get it right. Still, it just ain't black powder.

just cast some bronze barells recently. they are about 10 inches long. Mine is bored out to 50 cal. make a great noise. if any of you guys are interested, let me know. I was going to post them on our forum but haven't had a chance yet but will do if there is some intrest.These are cast bronze barells not finished ore bored out.

I agree with Zimmerstutzen. As a noisemaker, and a conversation starter, a Thundermug is the way to go. It is designed specifically to make noise, to attract attention from a distance.

Looks like you got your answer, but I'll throw in some of my own experience for fun. As a teenager, I was part of a Civil War cannon crew, and we had a cannon and mortar. The cannon had about a 2" bore, and the mortar had a soda can sized bore (we shot soda cans mostly, that's how I know). The cannon was so loud, you had to cover your ears when firing it, or wear ear protection. The mortar however, just made a "POOH" sound, loud but muffled. No reason to wear ear protection. Like mentioned before, mortars are for lobbing projectiles at slow velocities, so not much bang involved. Bill

Well thanks, gents. It looks err... sounds like the thunder mug is a darn good starting point. They're the cheepest of all the hardware so it's not a big investment. i think I can see a cannon in my future, though but ya gotta start somewhere :grin:

I have both a small bronze mortar and a small cannon. There are good points to both but I slightly prefer the mortar that I bought from these good folks: http://www.fortvauseoutfitters.com/ They also carried thundermugs.

image133.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I ended up ordering a 1" thunder mug. Can't wait for Memorial Day up at camp! I'll let younz know what I think of it later.
Thanks for the opines!

Karl Helweg said:
I have both a small bronze mortar and a small cannon. There are good points to both but I slightly prefer the mortar that I bought from these good folks: http://www.fortvauseoutfitters.com/ They also carried thundermugs.

image133.jpg

The top looks to be 3 inches across, that's if the bore is 1 inch.

What's the width of the base and the overall height?

What did they charge for shipping?

CP

Last edited by a moderator:
I never had them ship me anything. When I lived in the Boone, NC area they were a sutler at local events. They are nice folks and had some good deals. I picked up one of these rough sand cast mortars/grenade launchers that took a bit of elbow grease to clean up but I would recommend them. I fits tennis balls nicely.

image059.jpg

(I have all brass fitting on mine which I think looks nicer too.)

They were also talking about making a shoulder fired version. A really ambitious person might buy enough to make one of these Russian numbers:

machinemortar.jpg

The worst part is that the sparks that might only set off a chain fire in other guns might also (and only) ignite the grenades in this one.

For safety with my little mortar I just do not load it for at least 30 minutes. This meant only shooting it once per battle but at least it is loud enough to make it worthwhile. I enjoy reenacting but I enjoy keeping all of my body parts too. :wink:

Latest posts

Back